MaternalBound - Earthbound to Mother 2 hack.

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by ShadowOne, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowOne

ShadowOne Newcomer Member

Good day, SSRG community!

I know that this forum has a focus for Sonic related hacks, but I wanted to present to you a hack in which I've been working for the last 2 months.

NOTE: Before you continue reading this post, I would like to ask for some ASM help in a particular glitch.
    More on that at the end of the post.

MaternalBound

[​IMG][​IMG]

The main focus of this hack is to give the Mother/Earthbound franchise fans a proper american version of Mother 2.

What differences are there between Mother 2 and Earthbound? Aren't they the same game?

Well... Not exactly.
    The final release of EarthBound had many censorship inclusions.

My hack provides an uncensored version of EarthBound, and also changes text and graphics to reflect that of Mother 2, but preserving american references/jokes/names.

I only changed some names for the sake of continuity with Mother and Mother 3, like Porky.

[​IMG]
    It even includes a custom Gas Station Screen and a proper "Mother 2" title screen!
    No longer will this game be called EarthBound, but rather an american version of Mother 2!

[​IMG]
     ​
    If you want to read a more in-depth explanation of the changes done in this hack, click on the following link:

http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/WIP-MaternalBound-Uncensoring-Other-junk-hack/page/1/

The thread in that link explains everything:

• Graphics modified to match Mother 2.
    • Text changed according to Tomato's "Legends of Localization" website topic for EarthBound.
    • Additional implementations (Hidden NPCs, Run Button Patch)
    • Cast Sequence text modified to match new names.
    • Gas Station screen modified.
    • Typos/grammatical errors of the original game have been fixed.

• Requesting ASM help for the last glitch of the hack to release the final patch!
    As I said at the beginning of this post, I wanted to ask for help regarding a particular issue, which is the last bug I have to push a final release of the hack.

You see... There is a glitch with the Title Screen sequence.
    If you try to press any button before the title screen finished loading, the game will crash.
    This means that you will have to wait until the whole introduction sequence finishes so you can enter the Load/Save screen.

Thing is that some pointers (I believe) get screwed up during the modification of the title screen, and it is the hacking tool that does so.

I know SSRG has some great ASM hackers in its community, and I wanted to know if any of you guys have any expertees on SNES hacking that could lend me a hand to fix this particular issue.

I have included the pointers located in the ROM's data related to the Title Screen in the original Mother 2 Title Screen hack in this post:

http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/The-Help-and-Troubleshooting-Topic-Mk-III/page/39#post2052643

And here you have the ROM map for the original EarthBound:

http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/EarthBound:ROM_map

These are the addresses that we are insterested in from the original ROM's data:

The pointers will most likely be in a table, in which case the original location should be in Little Endian format, or they will use Assembly, in which case the code will be [A9 XX WW 85 0E A9 ZZ YY 85 10], where the address is in the format 0xWWXXYYZZ, so you would search for that string with the original address and replace it using the new address.

If you have any suggestions, questions or comments, don't hesitate to tell me!

PS: I already asked a mod if I could post this kind of hacks here, I got the green light. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  2. Para_

Para_ A Ghost Member

This is a neat idea, but why did you post this to the SSRG? Just curious...

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

4. ShadowOne

Yeah exactly what TheInvisibleSun says. :p

I posted it here hoping that perhaps someone could lend me a hand with that glitch to finally fix that last issue and treat the hack as 100% finished.

That Title Screen Glitch is the only thing that's keeping me from releasing the Omega patch of the hack

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015
  5. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

I see no reason for a non-Sonic project not to be posted here. We're a community all the same.

My experience with the SNES is very limited (SNES music for SMW's engine lmao) but I'll wish you luck with this all the same, Earthbound is one game I've always really liked but never had the time to complete.

6. ShadowOne

Thanks for the good luck!

I do hope so too, I always wanted to plsy Earthbound like the proper Mother 1 sequel it is, with all the goodies from the japanese release.

Let's hope one day this could be a 100% finished project. :)

7. Para_

Para_ A Ghost Member

I see no reason for a non-Sonic project not to be posted here. We're a community all the same.

Well, I guess I question is mainly about why put it in a Sonic Focused forum. Instead of something like Starman.net. 

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
  8. ShadowOne

Well, I guess I question is mainly about why put it in a Sonic Focused forum. Instead of something like Starman.net. 

It already is there, actually that's where I first posted the project, I started it there.

As I mentioned, I posted it here hoping someone with gifted ASM experience could help me out to fix the Title Screen glitch caused by the PK Hack/JHack tool.

In short words, I am trying to reach most people I can to hopefully sort that problem out in the near future.

9. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

As much as tasvideos.org and I hate eachother, I have to admit there are some guys who know a lot about SNES things over there, you might consider to try that option too. However, be aware that you're taking the chance to be insulted like the worst shit in this world, as that's what they usually do to newcomers everyone.

10. DwhitetheGamer

DwhitetheGamer You got a serious fight in your hands. Member

I second Nineko's post.  I've seen a lot of insults and shit aimed at the newbie hackers myself.

Other than that, good start.  Keep it up.

11. ShadowOne

Thanks for the suggestion!

I already registered there and made a new thread that is almost a copy-pasted version of the one here (without the SSRG references of course). XD
    Now let's see how they tell me to f*** off and how I take it gladly. XD

12. Roxurface

Roxurface Well-Known Member Member

Dude, this is awesome, and it gives me an excuse to replay Earthbound again.  I'll definitely check this out. Nice work and good luck!

13. ShadowOne

Thank you!

Hope you have a blast playing through it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.