Sonic 1: Wheres Sonic?

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by TehTenthSpartan, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

I want to assure you that most of the mini hacks contains very small (and often very massive) changes, which dramatically changes gameplay. Most of these hacks doesn't include art changes (mainly, new gimmicks and palettes), really. So, this is a normal mini hack. And maybe you heard about spoilers, don't you?

btw, hack is too small and there is no such massive changes that I hoped. 100% you made it in Sonic Sprite.

P.S. Long time no see.

2. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

I've done "This hack by accident" Myself. (Yeah i'm joking about "This hack" but not the "by accident") Swapping art cues & maps for a corrupted (blank) ones, fairly easy.

If this is gonna be some sort of mini-hack, Have Sonic waving his hand in front of him from side to side, Mocking John Cena, therefore Sonic telling the player "You Can't See Me"

3. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

...or, you could just replace this line in Sonic_Display in a disassembly:

jsr DisplaySprite

with:

nop

and replace both:

jmp DisplaySprite

in Obj01_Hurt and Obj01_Death with:

rts

And it does the same thing without the need to remove mappings, art, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  4. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

Using this method in my opinion will be way quicker and easier and less frustrating than editing, deleting or blanking the mappings. unless you get an error when building the ROM. 

5. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Personally, I'd just do both; it'd save more space in the rom, AND make it slightly faster. Just remove those lines, delete all the art and mappings (plus references to them, obviously), and this is done. Again, something that could be done rather quickly and effortlessly.

P.S. Now that I think of it, S3K with this setup might actually be worth the time, especially with Knuckles difficult layouts and altered gameplay.

6. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

This hack is a pure nonsens! What is the purpose in playing hack with ONE SMALL SPRITE EDIT! And this sprite edit makes this hack bad, because platform game without main hero sprite is fucking stupid and bother other players! When you want make a good hack, this hack must have more work and creativity.  :derisive:

7. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

You know, you can't have everything the way you want it and if you don't find it interesting or don't anything good to say about it then there is no need to be that insulting and mean about a simple edit that is just an experimental idea. 

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015
  8. Donnie Paradox

Donnie Paradox SSF1991 Member

That or you could just...not play it?

9. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

"nonsens" ...funny.

I like the concept. Let's see how far you can take it. I cried when I saw you recorded your screen. Use an emulator with a movie dump option.

10. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

I'm really sorry if I offended anyone by their critique. Next time I felt into words.

11. Unused Account

Unused Account Well-Known Member Member

Oh hey, I actually own a book exactly like that called Where's Sonic.

Anyway, this hack is pretty simple and can be done in less than an hour. It'd be cool if more was added, but for now it doesn't really deserve a thread. Also, don't quote me on this, I think something like this has been done before. If you're going to make a simple hack, please try something a little more original or just try harder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.