SOME (Sonic One Music Editor) not working.

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by TehTenthSpartan, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TehTenthSpartan

TehTenthSpartan Newcomer Trialist

I don't know what the heck is going on but.......SOME hates me.

Apparently everytime I load up a rom and click "Voice Editor" Windows says, "SOME (Sonic One Music Editor) has stopped working

Does anybody know the problem? 

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
  2. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

I really don't recommend using "SOME" sonic 1 music editor as it produces horrible results and corrupts the ROM.

it is way better to use a disassembly. there are guides on sonic retro on how to use a disassembly.

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

What rom did you try to load? SOME works to a degree if you load the individual .bin file tracks (by using a disassembly), instead of the entire Sonic 1 rom. For Sonic 1 Color Contrast, I made all of the low-def remixes in SOME, through the voice editor. The program does have its problems, but it certainly isn't useless (as there is no replacement program that I'm aware of).

4. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

If you're on Windows 7 or 8, expect a lot of crashes. Try running in compatibility mode and as an admin.

5. TehTenthSpartan

TehTenthSpartan Newcomer Trialist

Thanks to TheInvisibleSun, I got SOME fixed.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
  6. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

TheInvisibleSun: I never used SOME so I don't know what it does in particular, but if there's anything which can't be done with other modern programs, and other people think there is enough demand for a replacement, feel free to ask, I don't mind to work on these little projects in my spare time, nothing is too simple to be overlooked, I wrote a palette editor not many weeks ago so everything qualifies if there's a request. What does SOME do that makes it so special? What should a new SOME do to make it even more special?

7. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

from what i know your supposed to be able to change  the tempo, the pitchvolume of different channels and voices. but it has a few issues as I have tried it before. voice editing (changing instruments) isn't too bad and doesn't do much harm to music bin file tracks or Sonic 1 ROM file but when you  try to edit  the tempo and the pitchvolume of different channels things can get a little messed up and can cause corruption if you mess around with it too much. if I was to use SOME again i would only use the voice editing feature 

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

As far as I am aware, SOME is the only editor that can edit the music files straight out of the disassembly (someone correct me if I'm wrong), without having to decompress, or change format, etc. As stated above, it's just buggy at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.