How to Backup your hack

Discussion in 'Tutorials Archive' started by Pacca, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I've seen multiple people at this point report that the either nearly lost or actually lost all of their progress on their hack solely because they were trying to back it up and fucked up along the way. I'm here to fix this for all of you, by showing my fool proof method that has worked quite well for me so far (I've have countless online backups, some dating to the very first edits I ever did on RR!)

Step 1 - Make a zip file

If your using windows 7 and up, right click your disassembly folder and hover over the "Send To" option. Another menu should pop up, which includes the option to create a zip file. Click it. After it's finished, you should have a zip file right next to your disassembly, containing a perfect backup of your hack. If your using a lower version of windows, or  a Linux/Mac machine, get an archiver program like 7-Zip or Winrar and make the zip file (I can't test this out on those OSs', so try the Win7 part first; it might actually work).

Now that you have a Zip file, you can do whatever you want with it, while your actual disassembly remains unaltered! YAY!!!

Step 2 - Choose a reliable source to backup too

Now that you have your zip file, copy it (not cut or drag; it's actually quite useful to keep these backups around, in case you break something and need to undo just the part you messed up) and put in a reliable place. Some things I use:

• Google Drive - I understand if you don't want Google anything, but this can actually be pretty useful; you can see it online whenever you want, and even browse the zip file and open it's contents all online. Not that I recommend editing it that way; you obviously can't build it without windows or and appropriate VM. It also has a downloadable program that auto syncs its' contents to the web (don't get lazy and just put your hack in their; it can desync, and "accidentally" delete your files in the folder). The biggest downside to Google Drive has to be that you can't share files with others on the internet; it will lock people out at some point.
    • Dropbox - A crowd favorite. You can put your files on there, and poof, your done. No Google bullshit. Just make an account, and your in. You can share the files with ease, and it also has a program that auto syncs to the web (again, don't leave your disassemblies in there. It can fuck up and delete things without your permission; just put backups in there).
    • USB/Other Computer/Portable Harddrive - This is my favorite method. Just leave it on your USB or harddrive, or send it to your computer, and there you go. Done. It can be with you where ever you go, and you won't have to worry about sync bullshit or internet loss. The only real problem with this is you, actually. If the physical device storing the backup is lost, stolen, dropped in the neighbors swimming pool, etc., it's gone, and it's not coming back.
    I highly recommend using all three of these; the more backups you have, the less likely you are to lose all your work. I personally use the first two methods all the time; I'm a forgetful person who tends to lose things, so the physical storage medium is something I personally don't use as often, but I know I have a backup like that around here, somewhere.

I hope this helps somebody :3

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  2. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Alternatively, use version control like SVN or Git and host it online somewhere you know will be safe for the foreseeable future. Version control has the advantages of rollback - so in the event of "oh, this change fucked everything up", you can undo that.

It's the much more recommended option, just remember to commit regularly and comment what exactly you changed in each commit.

3. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I agree with the above post. Almost all my projects past 2010 have been built using SVN, and it's easily one of the handiest ways imaginable to deal with revision storage. And when you document everything, not only will it be easy to hunt down everything, it'll also make for an interesting diary a few years into the future.

Though I won't deny that a total backup as a ZIP could sometimes come in handy too. You never know when the SVN host is unavailable or your internet connection goes to hell. Sometimes you also want to copy an old version of the project folder for later use without having to redownload everything on that day.

Ultimately, it comes down to common sense though. The best backup tools and techniques are useless when human failure strikes, and chances are that it's almost always caused by assuming that precaution isn't necessary.

4. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I have a feeling you read my status. Anyways, this is a great tutorial! I use Dropbox because you don't have to go on your web browser, you don't have to compress a copy of your disassembly, and I'm not very good at keeping track of thumb drives.

Edit: Here's something you shouldn't do on Dropbox: Don't try copying your hack to it while you're deleting a previous version. I did it and it resulted in me almost losing my hack.

5. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

Another good way to backup your hack is save it in some FTP space. (as Selbi did).

Edit: And why not a pendrive? (In case if your internet turns-off for some reason).

6. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Those are all great suggestions too. I'm glad that you've all suggested them; I'll see if I can set those up for myself, and then add those options to the tutorial, too.

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems that might not work out for me. If you're new to them, though, you should still try those things out.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  7. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

The majority of mine (excluding my Richter hack) are on external drives. I may move it too... Maybe

8. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

​No. SVN keeps up backup of every revision the hack's owner do to it and they're all reversible in case of a accidental change or something like this. I really don't think that there's would be anything useful on compressing and reuploading the data every revision. I just think that SVN is the better to do and there's a lot of free SVN/GIT repository servers available on the internet for the ones who don't want to pay for one. Sorry to ask, but what is really useful on this guide?

9. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I've never ever backed-up anything online.  I get 2GB free from Norton, 2GB free from Microsoft, etc.  I don't trust them, especially when they could access it.  I just make a back-up every now and then and stick it on two external HDDs (if one fails, go get another, chances of both them failing at the same time is purely unlucky).  That way, it's private.  Also, I never over-write old back-ups (until space becomes an issue).

10. Sonic master

Sonic master Well-Known Member Member

I recommend using version control and more specifically git. First of all git allows you to setup a remote repository (optional). The remote can be on a local filesystem if you want it to be. All you need to do to create a backup this way is push the repo to the remote in order to create a backup.

Furthermore git provides version control. This is good if you make a change and later regret it. Instead of creating a mess in your code by commenting things out you are not sure of you can just see what has changed and if apporite checkout an older version.

11. LucasMadword

LucasMadword That one nerd. You know the one. Member

I keep backups of my hacks in multiple locations:

• On my main hard drive
    • On my Google Drive
    • On my camera memory card (I don't have a proper, working USB yet - mine broke with all of my important data on :angry: )
    • And on an external network drive (which is hosted my me, in another room)

Also, what is the benefit of using version control (more specifically, Git)? Just curious, as it may be easier than creating 4 extra copies of the same data every 5 minutes  :happy:

12. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

​There's tons of benefits, the main one being you don't need to make those extra copies. Version control stuff makes one for you, which you can revert to at any time, and this copy is stored online meaning that as long as you have a few things noted somewhere, it's impossible to lose it to a dedding computer. =)

I think.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.