My first hack ever made

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Giovanni, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giovanni

Giovanni It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

This is my first Sonic 1 hacking attemp.

I made it in about... 30 minutes? It just is Marble Zone Act 1.

Tried my best to make this, but it didn't come what I wanted. But I'm just 12 (I'm turning 13 the 18th).

I made it with ESE 2. Hope you like it. And don't say it's impossible. I tested it.

Download it by clicking here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
  2. DwhitetheGamer

DwhitetheGamer You got a serious fight in your hands. Member

Hey, there.  I suggest next time you showcase a hack, try to provide screenshots of the hack you made.  Not saying this to be rude(And I know damn well how the people here treat the newbie hackers), but this is just to help along in the future.

3. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

​Hate to be a party pooper, but that actually sounds rather unbacked and biased. You have essentially just stereotyped everyone on the forums into that same elitist-type group. We're not all carbon copies of each other, y'know. We each treat newbies differently, and even though we generally take different sides, we can all agree we're not all the exact same way.

Now then...VeryCoolGiova, if you don't mind me questioning...why is ESE 2 being used here? It's an incredulously outdated program that isn't really useful in current times, especially with the invention of split disassemblies. I feel you'd be much better off working with such a disassembly. There are a plethora of guides on Retro and here explaining how to set up a disassembly and how to modify the code within it, ranging from simple bug fixes to porting things from other Sonic games. If you're more tech savvy, you can also look at these two PDFs (for the second one, only Section 8 is actually useful in this case) that explain the 68k and what it's capable of in great detail.

Anywho, I can't really give feedback on the hack itself, as it will not play in Fusion due to an incorrect checksum... =/

4. Giovanni

​I can play this correctly on Fusion without checksum problems... maybe my Fusion version is magic... ._.

5. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

You're not missing out on much. It's just a series of platform challenges with no real end to the level. It just loops back around. Honestly I'd compare it to a test level you'd see in 3D games, seeing as there's no real end to the level. .   

Although the fact that the title screen is an extremely buggy mess might be what's setting off the checksum error. The game goes straight to Marble Zone upon pressing start, and there's no real level select, just a bunch of text detailing the intentions of the hack, and you still go to Marble Zone when you press Start.   

6. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

​30 minutes? really. in my opinion when making a sonic hack i think that it should take more then 30 minutes to make and put together, in fact way longer into the range of hours or days or months.  unless your making a hack that changes very little. but as i said thats my opinion and everyone else's may be different

​OK from what i have learnt from making hacks in the past with ESE One and Two and other tools like that. is that they are old and buggy and will not help you in anyway shape or form. they especially won't help you get good rep on your hacks as a tool like ESE TWO can cause so many errors and glitches in a single edit. too many bugs in a sonic hack that you have made will cause bad rep for you. 

So if i was you i would be more modern and use a disassembly. 

7. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Italian people making hacks, that's a first :U

8. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

We have a thread for these, even though it's your first.

​...or years. I've spent more than 6 months on my hack and it's far from complete. Spending hours on a hack will very rarely produce something of quality unless it's a one zone long layout or boss hack.

9. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

You're 12? Cool. The internet knows no age :v.

Treat newbies? Some people put others down because it makes them feel like a "superiourelitehaxor". A good chunk of the active user base is 'newbies'. Your hack is...interesting. I can't get past the first set of large spikes, and I'm not really interested in playing it further, as there's no sense of direction, and no sense of exploration. I don't get why there are random rings so close to the ground.It's interesting, but that's about it. 30 minutes is just a proof of concept. You need to have a plan. Work on it some more, see where your concept goes. I know your little heart is excited. I was excited too, and I made a lot of really questionable posts back in my day with my broken English and my ADD. I didn't take well to people being rude. I thought I was cool. I wasn't. I got banned as a result. Don't make the same mistakes. Plan. Think. Create. Test. Test again. Then test it again. Ask yourself the following questions: Does it look good? Does it sound good? Is it fun? Are there multiple paths? Is a player going to see what's coming up? Any cheap hits or deaths? Any blind jumps? Does the player know where to go at all times? If you don't know, do your research. Search for the answer. If you can't find it, then ask for help here.

ESE/II has a tendency of breaking the checksum, or breaking the game so even though the checksum is correct, it still red screens. Or something. But either way it breaks stuff. Using ESE/II in this day and age is the equivalent of using Windows 95 as your main operating system. And just like Windows 95, it's not supported and you won't get help because it's literally ancient. But what am I saying, I don't think you've ever used Windows 95. Maybe if I compared it to using a flip phone. Newer stuff like SonLVL is like an iPhone 6 plus. (This is a good thing MainMemmory. I love you. Please, sir.) ESE/II is like using a Nokia flip phone. Sure it was okay back in the day, but it's really...not okay. It's sin. It's wrong. It's immoral. I'm not getting any checksum issues, but I'm using Regen here. On a side note, saying "I don't have this issue so it must not exist" will not get you anywhere. If people are having an issue--look for possible causes. Ask what they're doing. Don't dismiss it--If you do, people won't like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
  10. Misinko

​You can get past them by using the Spring found just before the spike segment. Use the speed shoes if you want to make it over without touching the spikes. 

Beyond that segment is a platform in lava, two ceiling spike things, and an open wall that leads you back to the segment before the spikes. Nothing too fancy, but nothing too complex. 

Giving my thoughts real quick, it's a decent first hack. Nothing too special, nothing too complex. Although you might want to look into a disassembly with SonLVL. Much better for modifying level layouts and editing code than ESE I or II. 

Guize, it's literally his first hack and he's only modified one level and the text for the level select. He's got zero prior experience than this. Cut him some slack.   

11. ProjectFM

​I'm surprised that no one else has figured out that there is a secret passage way in the chunks under the spikes.

12. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

​I did. I have revised my previous post to make it as helpful as possible. He'll get it eventually if he tones down his hostility and channels his inner Goku to getting knowledge to learning how the game works.

13. Giovanni

Thanks for support given, I will make better Sonic levels in the future.

14. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

I like it so far. But to copy what others say. I don't think using ESEII is a good idea.

First you need a Disassembly of the game you wish to hack: http://info.sonicretro.org/Disassemblies

For sonic 1 it's recommended to use either: https://github.com/sonicretro/s1disasm_git/archive/master.zip this version (Some people don't like how it's setup though)

or this one: http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/5f/Sonic_1_(Split_and_Text_by_Hivebrain)_(ASM68K).zip (Most people use this one, Also most of the guides you find will target this one, I personally recommend this one)

As for level editing I recommend SonLVL: http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Set_Up_SonLVL

15. ProjectFM

I'd prefer the 128 version which splits each chunk into 4 smaller chunks for more varied level design and adds the path swapper. However, it makes levels take 4 times as long to create.

16. CodingGamerHD

CodingGamerHD Newcomer Trialist

Got a red screen as soon as I loaded.

*clap*

17. SaaS

SaaS Newcomer Trialist

​Not even a Fixheader program could change it.

/=

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2015
  18. Misinko

What emulator are you using?  It starts right up in Regen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  19. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

'Autofix Checksum'. Regen probably has it set by default.

Also, fixheadr.exe works fine.

20. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

I hope everyone saw that, and since this is a first, it's actually pretty good for a first try.

Personally, I like the layout idea with secret passageways (intentional or not).

Two more things, @VeryCoolGiova, it's "attempt." With a t at the end.
    What @LuigiXHero said is what I would've said too, about using disassemblies.
    It really "unlocks" more of the game to be modified. 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.