General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

A little something I was originally going to be working on...

[​IMG]

...before a few things went to shit.

2. Guest

An overworld map I assuming? in anycase even though there were some problems as you've said, still looks great overall.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  3. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Joenick I somewhat had the same idea for Sonic, But I only had the GIF image & with a seperator which saved the frames as BMP, it went corrupt so I scrapped .

Bakayote are you using MegaPCM driver for the SEGASound? I tried making a custom Sega sound using a WAV & the sound went corrupt.

4. MaDSkull

MaDSkull Lycanthrope Member

Solar, I have to say your Level design is the best!!!  :hi: Good luck.

5. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

Every sample in Mega PCM (and JMan's Z80 driver) must be in 8-bit unsigned PCM format. The driver crashes when it tries to play today's WAV, because there are too many data to work with, IMO. But I don't know how to make that 8-bit PCM, somehow.

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Actually, WAV isn't as specific as you would think, it can store data in a variety of ways; 8-bit, 16-bit, stereo, mono, and even lossy compression variants to reduce on quantisation errors caused by reduction of bits.

Provided you have the WAV file in the correct format that the driver can read and/or convert appropriately, and ensure the file is included with the header information omitted if unneeded (Which can be done via the incbin/binclude starting offset if necessary). Then it'll be playable.

7. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

A couple of palette tests. Stumbled upon these while playing around with a few things.

8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Do I detect a ring ride?! dX

Meanwhile:

[​IMG]

SNAP!

(FYI, the pixel work was redone by hand, so no snarly remarks.)

9. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Any chance you can give a few more details on this, I'm very intrigued. Was it just a proof of concept or was there an intention on making a "3D" style game? What kind of problems did you encounter to make you abandon this, assuming you have of course (the tone given in the post implies it has been canned)? Was it simply a case of being too stressful on the hardware for what you were trying to accomplish and the resulting slowdown being unworkable? Was this done on the MCD using its rotation and scaling capabilities, or was it all done on the MD using software calculations, like you did for your SCD special stage recreation?

Honestly, I love this kind of thing popping up on the forums. I quite often find myself losing interest in trying out other peoples hacks unless they have something significant about them or unless they are getting glowing reviews from people all round. This sort of experimentation and willingness to push the boundaries is what keeps my interest and makes me glad to be a part of this community. Well done sir.

10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

There wasn't any problem with the ROM at all, in fact, it runs perfectly on hardware, at quite a smooth frame rate too (and no, it does not use the Mega CD). The reason why I made it initially, was because someone (who shall remain nameless) had been spreading not so nice rumours about me, the ROM was to disprove that person's lies, show how pathetic and stupid they are, and show that person out for the true shitty "artist" they claim to be.

But then I learned, the person has some sort of psychological problems, and appears to be receiving personal threats from their family. The grudge against me is more "personal", the mocking of my work is irrelevant, therefore, no matter how well progressed the work is, they'll always find fault (even if the other work they compared it to, had the same or worse fault).

It's like saying "Hey, you don't know how to do such and such", I do such and such, "Oh hey, you stole it from somewhere". Or "you don't know about such and such", I explain how such and such really works, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, techno-bable" (even though the irony is, their original statement was "techno-bable"). You can't convince a person who hates you personally, rather than your work. It seems I'm not the only one who's hit a snag with that person either, so I decided fuck it... If they keep spreading rumours about me, I'll just do the same to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. StephenUK

Fair enough, I think I can make a safe assumption about who this individual is based on the mannerisms and nature you described. If it is that particular individual then you are right, you'll never win that argument so it'd be pointless to try and win that battle. Your reputation already and the admiration for your work community wide speaks volumes about whether people think you are capable, which is more than that person can hope to achieve with the kind of attitude they display.

That aside, I'll move it back on topic. You said that "initially" that was your motivation behind the work, and that it was "something you were going to be working on" until events intervened. Does this mean that you actually had ideas to take this further once you were on your way with the project, or was there never any intention for some kind of final product? Is there also a possibility that we may see it in action sometime in the future, not necessarily in ROM form but maybe in a video?

12. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

Palette edit in Marble Garden Zone. I can only change layout, palette, sprites and music, because I suck in ASM and tile edit... :(  [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
  13. StephenUK

Although the changes are subtle, I'd say that's one of the nicest palettes for Marble Garden I've seen. Good job.

14. LordXernom

Thank you. :) I tried change music in S3 with SOME program, but it crashed... :( Maybe I should working on S2 hack, because I've heard S3 is hard to hack...

15. StephenUK

I'm pretty sure SOME is for Sonic 1 (Sonic One Music Editor if I remember correctly). While it would be possible to use the program to put music into S3, it would involve the porting of the S1 sound driver or an equivalent driver, which really isn't ideal as it's not as efficient or advanced as the S3 driver.

16. LordXernom

You right. I've forgotten about this deal... :D Next time I'll try again with S2 hack with more advanced stuff, when I'll have a time to learn. :)

17. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

Oh, this is good. That palette is really beautiful. About asm don't worry, that only time will decide when you will get the hang (with asm). :p I'm excited to see layout in video also.
    Edit: Speaking of layout, here a video:

Ah small update on my layouts(damn AIZ1's chunks).

18. LordXernom

Thank you. :) About your hack, I like it. Layout isn't too tricky and too hard like S3&K Master Edition 2. It's fun to play it, And I play in your hack on this website http://www.ssega.com/game.php?id=3580Your hack is online, so everyone can play this. :D ;)

19. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

How do you suck at level tiles, but can create sprites without any problems? They are absolutely same things! But... yeah, tile editing in Sonic 3 is a pain in the ass for most of S3K hackers, and there are not any hacks with new art (except an upcoming Cybernetic Outbreak). But this palette is great, keep it up!

20. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

No, actually another hack have art edited too is, Sonic 3: Resort Island.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.