Welcome to XenForo 1.5.3

Discussion in 'Site News' started by OrdosAlpha, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

We've now said "fuck you" to the disaster that was IPB 4.x.

We were initially planning to start afresh on XenForo 1.5.2, and then merge later on down the line once XenForo released their own IPB 4.x importer. The ETA for this importer was unknown, so starting afresh was the only decision we could make, especially after the broken mess we got from the failed IPB 4.0.13.1 to MyBB 1.8.5 conversion.

But, the release of XenForo 1.5.3 today changed all that. XenForo included a beta build of their IPB 4.x importer in 1.5.3. And what you now see is the result of using that importer. The migration wasn't without its casualties though. On-site avatars and passwords were the major casualties, and so you'll have to re-upload your avatars and reset your passwords. This couldn't be avoided. The other casualties was shit no one would miss.

Post counts are also messed up as a result of the migration, and so most of you will either have a way higher, or in some cases, a way lower post count. This will have to be the norm for now. We may be able to correct the post counts, but you'll just have to wait and see.

The rep system is also gone, and has been replaced with a like system. Everyone will start with zero likes. The downloads system has also been done away with, though it may return at a later date.

Now, the migration isn't 100% finished, and as such, some tinkering still needs to be done here and there. Otherwise, the forums are fully functioning, and if I'm honest, the release of XenForo 1.5.3 did force our hand some what.

Anyway, please let us know about any issues you encounter in the usual forum.

Oh, and please do give LazloPsylus a thoroughly deserved pat on the back, for he was the mastermind of this. Soti/Spanner also deserves the same credit for his part in all this. I was a mere passenger, and probably a useless one for the most part.

2. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

I'd just like to thank everyone involved in making this happen. IPB 4 was a mess, and this is going to save quite a bit of headache for everyone in the future.
    Cheers!

3. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Thanks for all the work!

Quick question though: I see the original forum is now marked as read-only, but it's still there. Will you change the URL later down the path or will /community/ be the new home? (In other words, do I need to update my bookmarks or not?)

4. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

THANK FUCK!

We are finally escaping the pile of shit known as IPB 4. I hope that things work well on here. Thanks you, LazloPsylus and Spanner for making this happen!

HackGame likes this.
  5. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Once I tidy up and re-organize the FTP server, the XF forums will move to the /forums/ directory, and the IPB forums will be moved elsewhere.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  6. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Alright, I'm just going to be blunt: That was a sleep-depriving month of mess. I hope no one minds if I keep my little test title and a couple of other things, and if I don't respond for awhile, it may be because I'm passed out in bed, finally able to sleep.

On another note, welcome to the new place, everyone. There's a bug thread, and I'm paying plenty of attention to it. Keep it coming, and I'll get to things when I can. There's still a lot of hammer swinging to do.

7. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

Dont seem to be having any problems on my end so far. Glad to see that everything with this worked out.

8. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

My password wasn't changed and my avatar is still visible, what am I doing wrong?

Anyway, this does look good indeed. Nice work.

โบวี่ likes this.
  9. CS2612

CS2612 FamiTracker Trash Member

Looks good, Alpha!

10. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

I enjoy this.

I enjoy this a lot.

11. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Don't forget to thank anyone who was involved in donating to get the license. Especially Markey, was it?

12. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member Member

Looking good so far!

13. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

Wow, great news! Like this new forum so far! And mobile version is just awesome. :p

14. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

My thanks to LazloPsylus for the work put into getting this new forum set up and working, thanks to all donators (including MarkeyJester) for paying for the XenForo License, and thanks to all other administrators and staff for ensuring things went as smoothly as possibly during this migration.

I would just like to make everyone aware that, contrary to OrdosAlpha's post, all previous avatars should still be available to members and previous passwords should still work without any issues. Of course, we can't be certain about this, but it appears to be that way for now.

Post counts have been fixed (if it wasn't made clear beforehand) and many small changes have been made (some obvious, some behind the scenes) to accommodate this migration.

If anyone has any other issues as a result of this migration, please report them in this thread: http://sonicresearch.org/community/index.php?threads/the-official-xenforo-bug-report-thread.4253

15. DwhitetheGamer

DwhitetheGamer You got a serious fight in your hands. Member

Great job on the move. Forums look great.

16. nineko

I'm not a fan of the mobile version; in fact, I always try to avoid mobile versions and I set my phone to request the desktop version whenever possible, I feel mobile versions lack stuff, and they're usually less comfortable to navigate. Because of this, I'm not happy that I can't get the desktop version from my phone in any way, but I guess I'll just get used to it. Still, I don't get why web developers decide to ignore the setting on the phone and provide the mobile version anyway, it's not only Xenforo.

17. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

IPB4 did this as well. But did you know there is no "mobile" version? You're already on the desktop version. It's your mobile screen size that's preventing it look like the desktop (not resolution size, screen size). If you want proof, make the window on your PC smaller and at a certain size it will immediately change to a "mobile" looking forum. So if you stretch the size of your screen of your mobile, it will go into a "desktop" looking version.

A lot of sites do this now. Quite irritating if I am being honest.

nineko likes this.
  18. nineko

That's interesting, I didn't know that. I agree with you that it's irritating, and yes, it was yet another thing I didn't like about IPB4, which is why I don't look forward to Retro's forum upgrade, either, since IPB3 respects my phone settings. Either way, I don't want to go off-topic right here, so carry on :p

19. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

I realise it's probably a silly thing to ask, but I'd also be appreciative of a possible dark theme for the board. All the blueish white is kinda overbearing on me personally!

N30member likes this.
  20. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

We actually had some private discussions about potential skins for this board. I'm not sure how feasible they are to add at this point, as well as being rather expensive if we go the professional route, but it could be worth a shot to ask.

There's a site called Xenfocus, which offers a handful of really nice and clean skins, at $30 each. A favorite from the staff team was the Infinite skin, which not only looks similar to the old Clean Cut skin we used before IPB decided to give us the finger, but it also contains a color picker to let everyone customize whatever the hell they like as a color scheme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.