General Screenshot/Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by redhotsonic, Jul 2, 2015.

1. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

Another WIP video of Sonic 3: LordXernom Edition. This time I edited in HZ1 background, tiles a little, palette and level layout a little. I hope this isn't bad.

Jdpense and Royameadow like this.
  2. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

The background for Neo Aquapolis Zone is rather astounding, at least from how you have presented it, I enjoy this a massive lot.
    I was always a fan of Elemental colours, MS Word 2010 had originally hooked me to that back in 2013; your usage of both Teal and what Crayola would refer to as Purple Mountain's Majesty debatably is a lovely combination for a greatly beautiful visual approach, it truly delivers a more active yet soothing mood to Hydrocity, in comparison to what we had gotten back in Early 1994.

It truly be a shame though that the birds, I'm assuming that they're ganders or some form of geese, sadly are not animated, that is something that I would have wanted to view become a reality, that would make for a lovely visual aesthetic, making Act 01 feel more as if it had a more fluidly visual approach that Genesis and Megadrive titles from 1995 to Early 1996 and onwards had attempted to do with their backgrounds.
    Another issue that I find is the colour blending between the top of the background and the colour that is right below it, I'm more than positive that could be easily fixed with little to no error; the reason that I bring this up is primarily because I do not expect Crayola's Orchid or Lavender to be the first colour that I view in a spectrum of colours after Gray coming before it, it feels a little out of place to me, but again, I am positive that could be fixed up in no time, there are a lot of darker colours in the palette that would definitely assist here.

Other than that though, you have done a decent job with the artwork here, simply fix out the small kinks in the background and then the foreground and platforms will more than likely come after it, I am positive, I truly am enjoying the Urban Shore visual feel that you are going for here, it works well when overhauling Hydrocity in full. :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    LordXernom likes this.
  3. LordXernom

Thank you for a feedback Royameadow. It's very motivating and I did another WIP video - this time I edited tiles, background, palette and a little bit level layout in MGZ1. :D

jubbalub and Royameadow like this.
  4. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

I am struggling to tell the difference between what is and is not solid in that video. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad start, but it just feels a bit haphazard in execution. You've also got several priority issues (art tiles that are behind things when they should be in front, and vice versa) that affect the visual aspect, which is the main change, in my opinion.

The layout change isn't bad, also, but it could definitely use some work. I say this time and again, but when it comes to creating a new layout, you cannot rush the job. You should take cues from the original layout in terms of object and chunk placement, and get a feel for what does and does not work.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  5. LordXernom

Thank you for the feedback D. A. Garden. I'll take your tips to my heart and try to improve more. ;)

6. LordXernom

Sorry for double post, but I really want to show something again. :D So, this time I edited Tails Adventure. This hack have palette edit, SEGA screen edit, world map edit, title screen edit, music swap edit and small level layout edit in the beginning of the level. Special thanks goes to SupperTails66 for that great hacking tool: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=35155

Ravenfreak and Royameadow like this.
  7. Narcologer

Narcologer Hell angel Member

This time I edited zone's art more thoroughly in order to create the full remake of original design. So, i am glad to present you wood-themed zone - Scaffold zone!
    Скаффолд.jpg
    Скаффолд2.jpg

Pacca, Niko, ArcaniaCQ and 4 others like this.
  8. LordXernom

Good art, Narcologer!
    I'm back with custom level layout in first section of Poloy Forest.

Niko likes this.
  9. UltraEpicLeader100

UltraEpicLeader100 Newcomer Exiled

Are you sure this is still Sonic Chaos Quest or are you bringing it to the gates of Sonic 2?

10. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

In case you don't know, there's possible to port levels and badniks (and music of course) from Sonic 2 to Sonic 1.

11. fdswerty

fdswerty Well-Known Member Member

This is LZ2 from my brand new project. I took my time to finish this layout, and this is my best layout to date so I am quite proud. I'm not a 100% on how I feel about the layout though; so I could use some feedback to see where I can improve. Also object placement will be changed a little as I'm not completely happy with it.

ps: ignore the chunk/object placement flaws, they will be fixed soon.

12. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

Glad see you at hacking.

I'm actually fine with this layout, pretty good. But I guess the object in 0:49 is totally unxpected, and doesn't sound very fair to me.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  13. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

Electro, that looks promising so far. Nice palette - can't complain about it. The layout looks well put together, but perhaps to criticise the object placement and the level design as a whole I would have to give it a try. Still, at first sight I like what I see. Good job, and keep it up!

14. Dragon Wolf Leo

Dragon Wolf Leo Wha- I'm not doing ANYTHING! Member

I made three new elemental shields for my hack.
    The ice shield gives 5 small midair jumps, and also protects from ice physics for a certain zone that will be in my hack.
    The metal shield gives a downward dash, breaks smashable walls on contact, and protects from spikes.
    The atomic shield gives a midair spindash, and transforms badniks into ring monitors.
    Also, invincibility music is zone specific.

Pacca, LordXernom, ArcaniaCQ and 2 others like this.
  15. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

That art for the atomic shield, very nice I like the idea of that. The ice shield at first I thought it was lightning, not sure if you can make it more ice. Or maybe, you could have snow flakes around Sonic.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Dragon Wolf Leo likes this.
  16. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

Superb, a type of ROM hack that I have been waiting for looking at in a long while!
    This artwork is beautiful, I have not viewed this particular theme for a zone since 2007 and 2008, I truly cannot get enough of its approach one single bit.

The design here is massively calling out Gemstone Garden Zone to me, as if it were to get treatment and influences from Sonic Advance and some of the earlier builds of Sonic 02 Recreation ~ Part 01, this is definitely far more dynamic in comparison to what we normally view around here.
    That track also sounds extremely familiar, I know that I have heard it before, but I cannot put my finger on it at the current moment; the instruments though, some of them do sound a little out of place, the notes that use Labyrinth Zone's guitar would probably sound better with a Seinfeld style Bass preset instead, not sure if the SMPS driver is capable of generating that kind of a sound without the use of any extra or other primary drivers though (yet another reason for as to why I work with the YM2151 more than the YM2608/YM2612 for composing tracks in the modern day, it is able to emulate sounds such as the Seinfeld Bass far easier by comparison).

The Elemental Barriers are exactly what I would imagine from a modern title, they have a rather unique feel that we rarely had ever come across circa 2007 to 2010, the fact that these new barriers are doing their own thing is a major selling point for anybody who wants to play this, you could make zones completely based on the usage of these barriers with little to no limits.
    The Electric Barrier is actually the one that I am utmost curious about, it feels powerfully similar to the Screw Attack (Screw Attack!), which could be used for traversing around areas that have wide gaps and you need to time your jumps almost perfectly to reach the other side; the Factory Barrier seems to be a combination of the White Jewel's Homing Smash Attack from what I often refer to as Sonic Adventure IV: Several Wills (better known as Sonic the Hedgehog: 2006~2007 Game) and the Needle Spin that is used by Sonia to break spikes away in The S Factor '13, an extremely powerful weapon for handling the Spike and Trap Heavy areas of this zone and the rest of the game; the Atom Barrier Seems to be a more powerful Homing Smash Attack Only variant of the Factory Barrier, so the player is able to destroy spikes in all directions, rather than simply running into it, yet it allows for Precision Jumping and Shots, something that we do not often view a lot in the series, so again, make layouts for future portions of this title based around these barriers so that we may obtain optimal usage of them, it would be a shame if the layout did not match the barriers' originally intended usage methods.

Overall, I am definitely loving what I am viewing here, this is beautiful completely and must be treated as such.
    Wishfully, this zone and more is or are ready for Sonic Hacking Contest XIV Online, in the event that you are aiming to release it for the contest in October, you truly have what could easily snag the Spindash Trophy almost instantly, and you probably could also obtain the D.A. Garden Trophy as well if you make more tracks such as the ones presented in this showcasing, these two definitely could be the ones that this hack bears the optimal potential of obtaining, given their level of quality and performance; keep up the good work, I truly would love to view where this goes, there be a massive lot that this is capable of presenting in the long run, it all depends on how you work the rest of this title around the ability sets that the barriers offer so that the experience feels as close to a Single Zone ROM hack as probable, so plan accordingly, and you will prosper powerfully, that definitely be a surefire truth in full. :)

Dragon Wolf Leo likes this.
  17. Dragon Wolf Leo

Dragon Wolf Leo Wha- I'm not doing ANYTHING! Member

Thanks. I'm glad I'm headed in the right direction with this hack. I'll see if I can make the ice shield more icy.
    The tracks are my own original compositions. It's inspired by Sky Sanctuary Zone, which probably makes it sound familiar. There will be a variant for each act, invincibility, and special stage.
    I'm considering releasing this hack in SHC 2016 or 2017. The art for this zone is a work in progress, and it should look more presentable by then. I also have more in store than what I shown off here, including a zone that's more polished than this one.

Royameadow likes this.
  18. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

I was bored so I did a thing:
    [​IMG]

You know I might make a sonic hack that crosses over with a ton of games. but idk yet.

I'll call it Sonic Megami... SHOT

Narcologer likes this.
  19. Narcologer

Narcologer Hell angel Member

I waited hack that has elements from SMW for a long time. Nice work!

20. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

I hope it's just the art and level design that is like SMW. It looks promising.