General Screenshot/Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by redhotsonic, Jul 2, 2015.

1. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Finally a art with buildings which doesn't look too flat. I like it. But it's sad that the buildings cover less than the half of the scenery. Though the art is very nice. For some reason this place makes me remind when São Paulo gets at night. :)

Crimson Neo likes this.
  2. elaymm4

elaymm4 Bubble Car Member

Some footage from my hack - Sonic 1 Pacad. Events happen in space.

jubbalub, EMK-20218, Ayla and 8 others like this.
  3. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

The art is really good and I like the hack's concept. The HUD placement is too low because of the lives counter being on top so I think it should be changed back to where it is normally. Other than that, this hack has a lot of potential and I look forward to playing it some day.

MarkeyJester likes this.
  4. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

Boy, doesn't this look amazing, and this is just a work in progress... Man, I saw a lot of your videos and older hacks of yours. I've always believed you had potential, and you're definitely keeping up with my expectations. You definitely improved. Can't wait to play the full game!

5. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

6. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Looks awesome. Anyway It's my turn to show new HUD font I made for Nightmare Edition. (I know I am crap at art) But I thought it was decent enough.
    S1NE .png

7. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

Are you porting SA to Genesis then? That's always something I've wanted!

How did you get the layers working on the bridge? With Sonic in front and behind the railing that's less that an 8x8 tile wide/tall? I could think of a couple ways it could be done, but I'm just curios how you did it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  8. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

I have to second rika chou on that. I'm very excited to see done more of this. That looks awesome!!

9. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees Banned for being a fucking cockwomble Exiled

Although the following projects aren't hacks, I'm going to show them off because they both use a Sonic Physics plugin for Construct 2 (which you can find here).

[​IMG] Sanic going fast as usual.

[​IMG] P.S The timer doesn't work yet, but everything else is functional.

That is a work in progress "engine" of sorts for Construct 2. Seeing as there is no engine made for it (besides Sonic Construct Worlds, which is outdated), and the fact that the Sonic Physics plugin doesn't give you much, just the movements and physics, I decided to work on this.

[​IMG] This is a project I've been working on since 2014. A lot has changed since then. Seriously. It first started out as a shitty "Splosion Man" clone, then it became some random platformer, and now it's a satirical Sonic clone. Great! Anyways, it's extremely basic as of now, but it is somewhat playable, even though it's just a test level with random loops and Sonic VR's music as a placeholder.

Attached Files:

MarkeyJester likes this.
  10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

It's not much cobble, but it looks alright to me, nothing out of the ordinary (honestly, an improvement from your original hack project)

Not sure I'm keen on the new HUD positioning, but in fairness, the original was only pushed closer to the centre of the screen, as it was one of SEGA's bullitin policies to do so in the event that the game would be played on a TV, whose resolution is cut off around the edges. So it's no biggie really by today's standard, I guess more of an expectance.

Either way, good luck with your new project~

Unlimited Trees likes this.
  11. elaymm4

Choose better background.
    To begin with, thanks vladikcomper for helping to realize a trick called - Animated Third Parallax.
    *First screenshot, without ATP.
    [​IMG]

12. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees Banned for being a fucking cockwomble Exiled

Thanks Markey. I might change the HUD and the camera size (since the camera is so fucking small it's hard to see anything).

Anyways, I could release a playable demo of the Sonic EHZ port, but because of the way the Sonic Physics plugin was designed, there are a lot of glitches in the game, such as getting stuck on slopes, the player not going high when jumping into a spring, etc. But the physics still plays exactly like the originals. And there are a lot of other things already added such as the elemental shields.

Also, for the second project, (which is called "Waffle Lover", which, as you would guess, is going to have waffles involved) isn't really new. The only thing that is new is the build and the character who made a extreme change in design. As I stated, it's just a test level. However, it does have some features such as Invincibility and Speed power ups (which don't function as there are no enemies and thanks to a bug, I can't change the player's speed during gameplay.) and a bounce pad which, if you run into it really fast, it will send you flying.

Also, ElaymmFour, I got lazy on doing the background. I rather focus on doing the actual game than worry about the background.

13. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

Well, the art (especially the BG) is pretty good. I'd not expect Tidal Tempest, Aquatic Ruin, Hydrocity, but also SKY CANYON (1st one) AND COLLISION CHAOS(!) work at the same time.

However, there's some flaws in it that I must talk about to be honest with you.

• I saw this white thing in an earlier footage. What is this? Is it sugar, salt, snow or maybe some sort of sand? To me it looks just like a big white odd block. Add some detail so we could actually see what is this.
    • Stars at the BG (2nd) are just poorly drawn. No offence. Maybe you should try to improve 'em?
    I also hope that the foreground will be improved, as it feels repetive.

I'd choose 1st background, where there's some land. Perhaps you might be able to make some animated scrolling tiles in it? It'd be perfect.

Secret message: я надеюсь, перевод не нужен

AbyssalLeopard likes this.
  14. AbyssalLeopard

Elaymm, you're doing pretty well. However, you should consider all the points Cat has given. Commenting about the background, except for the stars, the mash up works pretty well. Good job!

15. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

That art looks very neat, hoping to see the end result. Also I should too play with 3rd parallax, though I suck at art. :V

16. elaymm4

New credits font. If the that font is already someone made, please tell me!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    FохConED likes this.
  17. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

I'm back with another S3&K: LX Edition... :D

SoloSonic likes this.
  18. AbyssalLeopard

I can see the effort, but I don't really see any slopes, nor speed in any way... And I assume that what's above the water and the plants are seagulls. It's a nice touch, but I believe they should be animated and better drawn, honestly. By the way, is the fact that the clouds look like stars intentional? If so, nice fantasy-ish idea.

As for the layout, it doesn't look too bad - I'd have to play it to tell you about the gameplay though.

19. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

The level just looks so sad with poorly drawn art plastered all over MHZ, and with a barely playable layout. This is even worse than Homeland Zone in SHC15. How do you manage doing that?

20. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Also just so you know Lord, don't ever put monitors or Badniks by big rings, they load their art over the explosion as soon as it gets on screen, and once it totally leaves the screen the Kos module loads the explosion art back over the big ring art. This is why in the original S3K in areas where there are big rings it is very cramped and you can't see anything but the foreground around you, no other objects can be seen. Someone working with s3k should know this though.

Also I'd suggest playing through s3k fully again but paying attention to how the art style looks, how the layouts are put together, how the game makes them flow, and so on (taking notes while doing this wouldn't hurt either).You need help on understanding how to level design in s3k, it seems like your hacking s1 and s2, the art looks s1/s2 like as well, also the top of the art makes no sense, how it goes from blue sky to space and stars, you need to study up on shading too. I'm sorry but this all seems lazily done, and I know what it's like to be that guy, anyone can improve with a little bit of effort though, worked for me. Anyway good luck.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016