SEGA Mega Drive Classics Thread!

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by TheStoneBanana, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

The framerate is a problem for me aswell. However it's never below 30 which is good. I do not like the uploader tool however.

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

So, someone plopped a few of my hacks up.

Now, apart from a comment from someone who used the "well if the creator doesn't upload, then we should" comment (despite the site only being up a single day, not even giving the creator a chance to upload in the first place, which makes the point irrelevant). I wasn't too bothered with them being up. In fact, if someone wants to plop them up, they'd have my support, so long as it only goes up once. But I noticed this morning that they've all disappeared, and I'm talking all of them, who of which were by different authors, everything else seems to still be up... What happened?

3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I heard people are reporting hacks that have been uploaded by the non-creator. So unless you upload it yourself, someone is bound to report "you aren't the creator!" and then Steam/Sega removes it.

EDIT: Might as well put these here

Sonic 2 Recreation: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674737091

Sonic Bash: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674723549

Sonic 2 Time Attack Crashes when you load a level, so I will need to fix that before reuploading. Wierd when it works on real hardware lol. Think it's the SRAM bug seeming as this hub has no SRAM).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  4. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

What bothers me the most about these people is that they think no harm is done because they aren't earning any money by doing it. As if this entire thing was about money.

In unrelated news, I've heard that a lot of hacks aren't working properly, including one of mine. Turns out, the emulator has a weird way of dealing with SRAM. If you select Sonic 1 or 2 as base game if your hack has save functionality, it won't work and may even glitch out the game. But if you select any base game that does, such as S3K, it works, even if your hack isn't built on top of it.

This is mind-boggling, and pretty darn retarded on Sega's behalf, but I can't exactly say I'm surprised.

Pacca likes this.
  5. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

So SRAM works with game-specific exceptions and apparently there is not any available documentation? Heck, how the hell do they expect anyone to write software just properly?

Bad, from technical and professional perspective. Do they have common sense?

Pacca likes this.
  6. Chaotix

Chaotix Bad at Team Fortress 2 Member

If anyone wishes for me to upload any of their ROM hacks, may as well ask. [Edit, can't seem to find the upload button. someone halp pls thank]

Also, the possible reason why SRAM doesn't work on Sonic 1/2 as a base game is because the game never supported it, so I believe SEGA just turned off SRAM altogether.

7. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

In that case, their "emulator", should properly read the ROM header.

Oh, by the way, is it possible to upload homebrew ROMs without any related "base game"? You know, to upload and download for free...

Pacca likes this.
  8. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

9. Lone Devil

Lone Devil Internet War Veteran Member

10. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

Woo, advertising.

11. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

MrCat, please don't respond to posts like that. A two word comment like this contributes nothing to the discussion.

nineko, Pacca, Crimson Neo and 5 others like this.
  12. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

While the topic on Publishing Rights onto the Classics Hub is the primary topic of discussion, I feel that I must mention this regarding any works made by myself and/or any of the team's members, given how publishing issues have been rising up with the community on Day 01: All ROM Hacks and Megadrive Homebrew works that were officially made and/or released under the Royameadow name and/or under the name of any of our affiliates will strictly only be allowed to be uploaded by either myself or other contributing members in the team and fellow affiliates alike, this is both per the following of Royan Copyleft Law (which allows only for any and all contributors of any project, as well as other members in our team, to officially publish our content freely on a For Profit platform) and for proper authenticity reasons, any uploads of our ROM hacks and Homebrew works that are put onto the Classics Hub by those that are not members of the team and/or affiliates will not be rendered as authentic and will be considered to be in a "Play at your own Risk" condition.
    In the event that you view any of our ROM hacks and Megadrive Homebrew works available on the Classics Hub, please note that they were not uploaded by myself or a fellow member or (Co~)Head Administrator and was done without either my or another Head or Co~Head's authorization and/or acknowledgement, unless if strictly stated otherwise; mods of the original works by us will be allowed per means of Royan Copyleft Law (which does allow for Non~Profit modification of original works that were made and/or released under the Royameadow name), but as stated above, they will not be rendered as authentic and must be considered to be in a "Play at your own Risk" condition, unless if stated otherwise by the modder that it is wholly playable.

The following ROM Hacks and Megadrive Homebrew works have not been uploaded by Roya Rockwood (myself) and/or any of the teams members, this list will change as more works are created.

~ NHL Hockey '92: MIAA Setup Edition.
    ~ NHL '98: MIAA Setup Edition.
    ~ MIAA Women's Hockey 2015 ~ Volume 01: The Mass Tour.
    ~ MIAA Women's Hockey 2015: Tournament Edition ~ Volume 01.
    ~ MIAA Women's Hockey 2015 ~ Volume 02: Skaters of the East West.
    ~ Roya Rockwood's Sonic the Hedgehog (Available only in Private Builds at this time).
    ~ NBA Live '96: 025th Anniversary Special (Available only in Private Builds at this time).
    ~ MIAA Women's Hockey 2015: Tournament Edition ~ Volume 02 (Available only in Private Builds at this time).
    ~ MIAA Women's Hockey 2015 ~ Volume 03: Hockey Pilgrims (Available only in Private Builds at this time).

Must you happen to find any of these works available on the Classics Hub at any point, please do ask me if it was uploaded by a fellow colleague and/or with my authorization, if it so happens to be not presented under the Royameadow name, chances are that it wan't by us unless if stated otherwise by me or any of the team.
    I will upload our works accordingly when the respective time comes to be able to do so, I will wait for Sega to fix up the emulator in bugfixes so that our works don't crash often and have better performance levels; again, simply let me know if the listed works are on the Classics Hub, and I will investigate it accordingly, I will tell you if it be by us or not and we will view what happens from there.

13. Soldaten

Soldaten The Coilgun Root Admin

This could have been easily written as "If anyone posts these specific ROM hacks, notify me".
    Bloody hell.

Pacca, Devon and TheStoneBanana like this.
  14. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

I understand that you don't really want people to publish your works onto the Workshop, and if they do you want people to let you know, but do you really need to make up a fake law to get your point across?

โบวี่, Pacca and Devon like this.
  15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

The Z80 seems to process a "little bit" faster than it should, it's subtle though. The 68k is either overclocked beyond belief, or the bus access between the 68k and z80 is completely borked (I think the former). I'm also under the impression that the YM's DAC emulation requires the sample data to be sent to the chip at a specifically correct rate, 22,050hz seems fine, other rates seem to cause a bit of jitter, in fact, in the original Sonic 1 title, the drums sound off, almost as if they're playing at the wrong starting point (we know it's not a banking issue, as the samples in Sonic 1 are stored in the z80 itself, so it's something else). The PSG also sounds higher in tone by a touch, but that's probably just me...

The emulation is not as bad as I thought it would be though, I was expecting raster H-blank effects (like slit scanning) to go to complete hell, but it seems to hold up somewhat OK. I'd imagine excessive use of it may cause unwarrented behaviour though. All in all, I am surprised.

FireRat likes this.
  16. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    More likely there's not a proper cap on IO and processing for the 68k and Z80, which generates plenty of odd behavior when timing's important. Older emulators were famous for improper timings that made IO really screwy. There's also plenty of other things to pick through. Just haven't been able to sit down and tinker yet.

FireRat likes this.
  17. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft RickRotate'd. Maintenance

First off, you mean a "license". Since you aren't a lawmaker, you can't create a law. Never mind the fact that legally, all of the hacks you've created are unauthorized derivative works. (Well, hacks of games that are available on the MD Hub might be considered authorized now, but that's besides the point.)

Second: How exactly is a copy of one of your hacks distributed by someone else not "authentic"? Data is data. You're starting to sound like a Microsoft lackey complaining about how "pirated" copies of Windows are somehow less functional than "authentic" versions.

And finally: Using big words and pseudo-legalese doesn't make you look like you know what you're doing; it makes you look like the former developer of Sonic 2 HD. (★ HACK DETECTION ★)

FireRat, MarkeyJester, Pacca and 6 others like this.
  18. bluBird

bluBird Game Developer Member

I bought this game, but when I tried to play Sonic 1 on it, the whole game lagged to hell, even on fullscreen mode. Furthermore, when I turned down all of the fancy room settings and emulation settings, it still lagged like crazy. Putting the game into windowed mode (800x600 @ 60Hz) seemed to fix it, but that's beside the point. The point is, how will people who don't have a powerful computer get the full experience?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  19. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

From what I've seen so far, Sega has been very open to criticism from the community so far, and seems to be taking small steps towards addressing everyone's problems on it. It's small, yes, and they may not have had the time to do much yet, but I get the feeling that this could turn out to be something great. We just need to keep bugging them to fix stuff (which I think we're all quite adept at :p).

EDIT: Just downloaded it. The whole hub/room thing works beautifully for me after some settings tweaks, but when I go to play an actual fucking game, I'm presented with a blank TV, and the mods list for all the games is always blank.

*sigh*

EDIT2: Reinstalling it made it work, but the emulator lags, while the fancy 3D room around it runs perfectly. My shitty, ancient DS lite runs a Genesis emulator faster, I'd seriously be better off playing the hacks on a normal emulator. I hope Sega optimizes this quickly, I'd love for the hub to replace my normal methods of playing rom hacks.

EDIT3: The emulator isn't lagging like I thought it was; the sound emulation is just shit :I

EDIT4: Clicking on a mod in the mods menu makes it load the vanilla game... WHY

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  20. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

I think SEGA needs to add mod support to the older version of the MD Classics emulator. I've heard so many people complain about their computers not being able to handle the room, and when I myself use it on my PC (I have the hub from the one time SEGA gave out free games. I have Golden Axe) the emulation clocks in at a solid 20-15 FPS. Another reason for me not to use it.

Also, another problem SEGA needs to address are unrelated games. The Workshop is flooded with Homebrews and actual released MD games. This can turn into a big problem for SEGA if they don't do something.

Pacca likes this.