Happy anniversary, Sonic + Sonic 1 TX Beta 1.5

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by bluBird, Jun 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluBird

bluBird Game Developer Member

Happy 25th anniversary, sonic the hedgehog! :)
    In celebration of his 25th anniversary, here's the latest build of Sonic 1 TX. I know, it's not much, but it's something.

Sonic TX Beta 1.5 - The music update
    * Many songs have been replaced
    * MegaPCM Driver Installed
    * Somewhat complete LZ2
    * Somewhat complete GHZ tileset
    * More I guess

Known bugs:
    * GHZ3 lacks music
    * Some music sounds a bit wonky (specifically 85, 86, 90, 8C, 8D, and a few others)

Credits:
    * Credit to LordXernom for SBZ3 music
    * Credit to Nineko for some songs still left unfinished
    * Credit to ShinyKitten07 for MZ1 music

Have fun! :)

Screenshots:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    LordXernom likes this.
  2. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

I will try it tomorrow when I can use the Internet. Judging by the screenshots though, GHZ and MZ's palettes need work. I might make those for you if you want.

3. Chaotix

Chaotix Bad at Team Fortress 2 Member

The second LZ screenshot looks nice actually, although it's quite dark underwater. The other palettes are quite nice, other than GHZ's (It's too bright, in all honestly. Maybe it's just the grass.) and MZ's (I do like the shade of blue, but it clashes a lot with the background and the grass). The HUD does look quite small to read, as well as the E from SCORE being there still. Either way, good luck on your future endeavours.

4. bluBird

You think that's too bright? You should see what it used to look like! It was even brighter!
    [​IMG]

Nonetheless, I'll do what I can. I'm also already aware of the problems in MZ.
    (also, do you like the old HUD pictured here more or the new HUD more?)

5. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

The HUD is ok, but the letters could be bolder and could use some shading. The idea is really cool though!

6. bluBird

Okay. I'll do what I can to sort-of combine the old and new HUD.

7. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

While we're talking HUD, removing the leftover 'E' from the score section would be an improvement =P

Also, notice how the original HUD's text always had a shadow? It helps to stop the text from blending into the background. If the screenshots are any indication, the new HUD's text can easily get 'lost' in a level's art.

8. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

See, your GHZ lacks good shading, that's why people say it's bright.

Pacca and Crimson Neo like this.
  9. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

10. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

I played it. I found:
    - Level layouts with a terrible design. They has excessive speed points, a lot of bottomless pits, misplaced rings in almost everything in the (three) layouts, lack of 'Object 44' (Solid walls) almost everywhere and a lack of rings in most of GHZ. The only edited level layout is GHZ and it does have lots of vertical places to explore... but most of them are unreachable. Most of the objects in levels are placed in a very strange way.

- Terrible palettes in general. They have lacking brightness and softness, still the color choices you did in ALL the levels were not good.

- Bad music choices in almost everything. Only invincibility has decent music, most of the levels makes bad use most of the known already-shared SMPS music and the custom songs sincerely are verging the terrible. I debugged one of the songs and I noticed it uses only two channels.

- Weirdly, the levels have a name in the level select but they has a different name in their title cards. This made me to ask myself: WHY?

Conclusion:
    I respect your effort in this game, but I don't like it. You have too much to practice yourself, and this hack needs a very big polishment and improvement yet. I'm sorry if I sounded rude, but I'm sure you can do better than this. Take other (good) hacks as a reflection for you to improve this project.

11. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

He may have changed some names durimg development, but forgot to change the level select text or the title card text.

12. Sith

Sith Active Member Member

The problem with some of your palettes is that they lack contrast and look like an LCD screen with poor backlight.
    It's not really about your palettes being too bright or dark, but about most colors having a similar brightness, making the scenery look a bit flat.

What you need to do is take colors further apart in brightness. I guess that's what some people here mean with 'shading'?

Edit: ah oh well, I googled and it makes sense now.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shading

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.