[Engine] Hedgehog Development Kit - NEW PRE-BETA + Download EXE

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Raionhardt, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raionhardt

Raionhardt Vanguard Member

Hey there people, I have an engine that I want to show to you guys here in SSRG:

[​IMG]

What it is? The HDK - Hedgehog Development Kit, is an action, adventure and game framework built to work on Unreal Engine 4. It is mainly built as a Sonic fan game engine for 3d adn 2.5d gameplays, but it can be reused to make any game based using the created classes and things inside. Also, the nature of the project allow a modular, expansive project, allow easy modification of everything inside. It was entirelly done so far using the bluerint system (UE4 visual C++ scripting), it was started in april 2015.

Back to topic, the engine was entirelly done so far using the bluerints system inside UE4, and it is constantly updated, normally I create new stuff every day and is much faster and easy to make than in C++ or other language.

LAST VERSION TRAILER

The staff is:

Designed and created by Ricardo Raionhardt
    Programmed and Developed by Ricardo Raionhardt, Sérgio Filho, Tiller and Xaklse

Collaborators:

-Gulop - HDK base implementation and development, loop physics help, testing, information
    -AngelXWind - Technical Support
    -Andrew Kaibni - for actors and content
    -Travin - ideas and some code logic
    -Tee Lopes - Door into Summer Remix
    -Keith Jackson, Azookara, Professor Zolo - Logo art brainstorm and creation

Since I pratically do not work to have to dedicate more time to the engine and my game, I have started a Patreon, in case anyone would like to help, the link is: Ricardo Raionhardt Patreon

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  2. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

This sounds interesting. If I actually had a PC with decent specs for this, I would have gave this a try but nothing I can do about that just yet. I will say though that its nice to see things like this more often other than seeing hacks all the time. It makes this place more diverse that way.

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Do you have any video examples on YouTube or something?  Sounds pretty interesting...

4. Raionhardt

​Wow, I forgot! Hehe, I will put now, check it out.

5. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

It's a shame that this engine doesn't work on 32-bit OS. I'll have to wait more. :/
    Anyway, this is a excellent job. I'm curious to see more about it!

6. Raionhardt

HDK have a new update! The PreBeta. Download link have been updated on the first post, you can download the executable there. For a video:

7. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

I must say, it looks great.
    Too bad I've only got Unreal 2004, even A:DR was moved to UDK..

This here, though, might be a good reason to get Unreal 4, since it looks a lot better than UDK's SDK (as far as I've seen). 

Knowing that it's in Unreal, I wonder if it's also going t have the UDK problem of "No Multiplayer," or be like Unreal 2004, where Multiplayer is a simple kick into the normal maps section (or an online Game-Mode). 

8. Raionhardt

​I worked with UDK and SGDK before starting this, and I can say as a user not only for games - since I had to start this to make my game, but for special effects and architecture creation, that UE4 is superior to every engine on the market. It is the easiest interface, have a excelent documentation/forum/support, question center, that helps solve any problem you may come across, and can make Vray graphics real time, depending on the skills of the artist. And it doenst have all the problems that UDK have.

Not to say blueprints allow an artist like me to go programming like crazy as I am doing, for example, these last days I added the Quick Step, Stomp and made a Procedural Grinding Rail Object, that you control with splines, extremelly easy.

I didnt checked out possibility for multiplayer games, so I can't say for sure, but I just did a quick search out of curiosity and local multiplayer is completelly possible.

9. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

Local, as far as I'm concerned, is great.
    I even know of converters that make "Local" become "online," but that is besides the point.

I hope the results come out well on that. 

As for user interface being so "friendly," I'm not sure I want to clear space for it to install. (I tried, and it said it was too big.)

10. Raionhardt

​I marked this on my research list, now you made me want to make an local and an online mode built in the engine. SUrelly this can be a big diferential for the engine. I want to make a Definitive sonic engine for 3d/2.5d, and the last contents I put up for Beta version will be a proof of this.

--------------------------------------

Just an off topic update, I will use this post to not double, is that I started a Patreon in case people would like to help me, be for the engine of for my game, that I will post in 1 month a finished level here yet (the bonus Sonic World Remix finished level), the link is here: Ricardo Raionhardt Patreon

11. Raionhardt

Some preview updates of the next version, that I am saving for Sage this december:

-HDK Challenge Zone - a level created procedurally with ramping difficulty where you need to pass platforms and get the emeralds - and of course it unlocks Super Sonic(that don't have a unique mesh yet*).
    -New monitors and capsules: Insta Shield, Electric Shield, Heat Shield, Eggman, Random and S (that debug monitor from CD and 3K that gives speedup and invincibility).
    -Xaklse loop physics - yes, it is here, and better! But we are creating a new camera and control for it works perfectly - right now it is turning the controls when upside down.
    -Air and ground control close to Adventure 2, but tweaked to be better, with more inertia on air and a little speed building, less floatyness - jump is just right like classics.
    -Several gimmicks have been improved to get the most close to the originals as possible, and with more controls.
    -Procedural Ring Generator and placement - Linear/Radius/Spline - It put how many rings you want, with how high from the ground, and with the space you want. The radial can rotate to vertical without rotating the rings orientation to the world. All rings working normally and can be magnetized by the Electric Shield.
    -Procedural object placements and spawners - for creating dynamic placement, spawn animated objects, deform along spline and a lot of other cool stuff that would be impossible or extreme time consuming otherwise.

Will appear:
    Underwater physics and water run
    -Homming Attack
    -Light Attack
    -Light Speed Dash
    -Spin Dash
    -New HUD
    -Procedural Ring Generator and placement - Lines and columns on the 3 styles of generation.
    -Procedural Level building and objects
    -Partial Sonic Classic Physics configuration
    -Many new gimmicks

Very likelly to appear - in development now and/or partially done, else it will drop to the below list:
    -Momentum Physics (speed build/loss) on slopes
    -2.5D mode

Unlikelly to appear/to be developed
    -Grinding system finished - probably will appear incomplete, since it need momentum physics and 2.5d mode finished to work perfectly
    -Bounce skill
    -Emerald, Rocket Shoes and Pogo Spring Monitors and capsules
    -Music Player System - UE4 is horrible handling sound so far, need more improvement and nodes (that work...) for this works perfectly.

I think I am not forgetting anything, basically this is HDK agenda today.

Actually with these last ones we can call HDK complete with all resources for a Sonic game.

*If you know or have the Super Sonic mesh from generations or colors and want to collaborate, I am in need of that, LOL.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  12. Raionhardt

13. Raionhardt

Just made a new version, the Delta version, that comes right before the 1.0. Also me and a friend put together a trailer for everyone watch. The demo is on the first post.

Devon likes this.
  14. Raionhardt

Last version trailer:

15. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

Yeah I don't think you should've shown that GHZ demo.

The physics were all wrong.

16. Raionhardt

Maybe. But the point was not show physics working on the GHZ demo, was to show that Andrew75 is rebuilding the GHZ on UE4. You can see is totally a dev video with debug stuff around, so is really redundant the physics stuff, I didn't even jumped on that to not give more that it was not configured.

17. BlackYoshi

BlackYoshi Active Member Member

The engine looks borderline perfect, but the camera control always was a huge problem for the 3D sonic fangames, is it going to be controlled using the mouse or a assigned key/button?

18. Raionhardt

@BlackYoshi , you can control the camera with the mouse or the right analog stick in a controller. We been taking some look into camera, I know it is really annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.