Tips and Tricks Hacking/Modding

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by insulfrog, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

They put the cap there to stop the overflow, like stephen pointed out. You can think of it as wearing a cap will keep the hair down. Taking it odff will result in a bloody mess. That's why I used to wear a cap =P

2. insulfrog

insulfrog Active Member Member

Here a few other tips from me: -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you do your palletes, always use the original shading to get the best results. To help you do that, think of a theme and stick to it, especially when you are doing zone palletes. Think which colours work best together and don't make the colours too strong. Pick and mix good matching colours and tweak them a bit until you get them just right.

3. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

A tip to the topic itself: Maybe you should add something like "Small Questions" (Basic Question and Answer Thread on SR) and "Small Tutorial's. It might be useful and nobody needs to open a new Topic in this Forum or Tutorials.

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

I don't know what sort of caps you've been wearing :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  5. shobiz

shobiz Well-Known Member Member

I do, exactly the same thing happens with my hair (though since I hardly ever wear a cap it's always a mess :wacko: )

6. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

Am I the only one who noticed this topic is over a year old?

Just me? :wacko:

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

Ah, you see I took the word "bloody" too literally, that'll teach me to reply to a post in the early hours of the morning...

Also it's a pinned topic Tweaker, so no one cares.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  8. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

A very basic tip for Newbies: If your ROM is only 1kb instead of 512kb or 1024kb (sometimes more), than make a right click on "build.bat" and choose "Edit". You should see the Notepad. At the end of the file put a "pause" (without the ") and save. After that click again on "build.bat" and you should see your error! Here is a little description:

<24613> is the line with the error (click on View -> Status Bar in your Notepad, to find the line).

"Op-code not recognised" is the error description. There is no "xmove"-command so he can't build!

I guess the rest can you understand by yourself! :p

9. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

wow didn't you just teach me that (thanks by the way)........and nice tip!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
  10. shadowbeasts

shadowbeasts I'm Legend Member

Don't only use the guides. Learn ASM. Make your know code. If you have a problem creating codes in ASM ask for help. Trust me I've learned the hard way. :D

11. insulfrog

insulfrog Active Member Member

It has been a couple of weeks or so since the last poster but I just thought of an important tip: -

If you are just starting out with your very first hack, whatever the game (Sonic based or non Sonic based), its a good idea to remember this tip: -

KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

There is alot of people who are starting out who are setting their goals 'too high', start small, work your way up and learn as you go. If you learned something new, put it in your hack. Remember that you keep your ideas simple and easy to do at first, then build up new features or changes as you go.

Like when you are learning ASM in your hack for the first time, change something simple first like Sonic's jump height or underwater countdown timer, then if you feel like you want to try something a little more complicated (like a few lines), go for it. Then try something a little bigger once you get the hang of it and then try out one of the ASM guides.

So please remember, KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid and your hacks will be easier to produce.

12. RandomAvatarFan

RandomAvatarFan Well-Known Member Member

Don't be afraid to mess with something that you're unsure of. If you don''t know what a line of code does, either remove or edit it, and see how the game behaves differently. Just make sure to backup. :)

13. SuperEmeraldSpike

SuperEmeraldSpike Newcomer Trialist

This is a helpful tip for people who are new to hacking:

If you use programs such as SonikSprite and the original SonED, but you also want to ASM hack, it is important to finish what you need to do in the programs before you ASM hack. If you ASM hack first, neither program will work. It is also important to make a copy of your hack that hasn't been ASM hacked in case you aren't finished yet or in case of bugs that may pop up in sprites or levels.

14. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

^ That is not such a good tip. Many of the older ROM hacking tools shift the data to different places to make room for it. (ESE is especially guilty of this, but I think SonED does too) This will make it incompatible with the disassembly.

15. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

SonED does eventually shift data to the point where it itself cannot recognize ROMs. However, Sonik Sprite indeed overwrites the old data, and is size restricted, so that is indeed a good tip for sprite editing. Wish there was a modern Sonik Sprite esque editor out there. Such a pain having to export every frame individually :(

16. SuperEmeraldSpike

SuperEmeraldSpike Newcomer Trialist

I have used all of these programs before ASM hacking and have never encountered a problem such as this.

There is a program that looks promising so far. It is called "Sonik Sprite Remix" and it has potential. However, it currently only edits (most of)

Sonic the Hedgehog 1's sprites. It may be something for you to try out.

17. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Not all ROMS have this issue. Sonic 1 doesn't have this issue. Sonic 2 does, horribly fucks up the locations of the kosinski art, layouts and collisions.

...or just use SonMapED. If you are using ASM, SonMapED is the best. Hell, even if it is just a plain ROM, still a great tool. Unfortunately, the disadvantages for using SME over SSR is that SSR can pull the Mappings and DPLC automatically, as opposed to SME where you have to do it by hand.

But of course, if you want to start hacking, ASM is still the way to go. Even if you don't want to change the main files code, and all you want to do is edit art and Level layouts. Bear in mind, you just have to understand what is going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.