Sonic Hacking Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Spanner, Mar 23, 2016.

1. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Historically it's been midnight BST + whenever Cinossu wakes up.

2. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

Why SHC site doesn't allow me to upload Game Gear hack?

3. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

If I may make a suggestion to the SHC staff in regards to future deadlines; perhaps setting it to something like "23:55 BST on DD/MM/YY with an extended 5 minute window." I know it might sound silly to suggest, but I've seen the issue with the deadline brought up year after year and it seems crazy that this is still an ongoing issue. Would be nice to finally see it resolved.

redhotsonic likes this.
  4. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

The site seems to purposefully accept only genesis roms based on it's header data. You'll need to use a different site to host the download, I'm afraid.

As for the time issue, perhaps next year the site could show how much time is left in a countdown or something? It seems like it might be complicated, but it would clear up the annual time zone confusion immediately.

Royameadow and redhotsonic like this.
  5. LordXernom

I tried external link and I putted dropbox download link and nothing happened. What I should do?

6. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

Yeah, pretty much this. Although, this time issue seems to happen every year (as I recall) and even though it's confirmed before the deadline of the contest every time, this confirmation never makes it to the description of the next year's contest. Spanner, you should probably look into adding it, as otherwise, it's just going to happen again next year.

This might be related to your issue, but both the image and hack upload on the SHC site has an issue (already mentioned somewhere, but repeated in case anyone missed it) whereby URLs with a certain character (I think a certain slash character [ \ or / ] do not work. This has caused me a major headache in the past, as one of my video URLs from YouTube wouldn't work. You should probably look to see whether this is an issue first.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pop in and say good luck to everyone in the contest. I'm not submitting anything this year (or judging anything, either), but I will be sure to give each of the entries a go.

7. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

So guys, thinking of submitting this week, got a question that may have been answered before so I do apologize if that is the case. In terms of what is playable to public, do you think it's possible to say, give a code to unlock something so it's easier for the judges and give that to streamers so they don't have to unlock said thing the mandatory way? if that makes sense.

Basically the public will have to do it the legitimate way, but say if the streamers don't have time to get all chaos emeralds to unlock "such and such" and if it's easier for the judges I would give out a code just for them. This may be a silly question but would that be ok? I asume if the answer was yes I would send it to a staff member for them to forward said code. That way the members of the public won't be able to cheat to unlock said thing.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    HackGame and FireRat like this.
  8. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

All I would like to say publically is... Good luck to every single contestant. Who knows how many wonderful surprises await us.

9. LordXernom

Now I can't even click into "Set External Link"... If I'll not put download link in my entry until deadline, I'm screwed! :(

10. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

I cannot put in a certain hack of mine up due to the uploader not detecting the Rom.
    It says... File Uploaded Not Known ROM Type. And it's a genesis rom.

11. LordXernom

Ok, I tried with your method D.A. Garden - doesn't work. I tried with other links and web browsers - doesn't work. After that url paste, nothing happened, I can't upload my ROM via SHC site, because it's not .bin format, because it's Game Gear hack... I hope this issue will be fixed before the deadline, because I really want to submit my finished hack. :(

12. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Try getting into contact with Cinossu. I had a similar issue where my proper genesis rom wasn't detected. He should ask for your header data, and hopefully get it working quickly.

13. โบวี่

โบวี่ Tsingtao Enjoyer Member

If you want I can host your hack on my filespace. I have unlimited data on it so space isn't an issue and you just set the entry to an external link.
    I'm already hosting my own hack and JDPense's entry for the contest. PM me if you're interested.

14. Narcologer

Narcologer Hell angel Member

When i am trying to upload video on my entry page it just shows white screen instead of normal demonstration. Is there a way to solve it?

15. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Alright people, initial deadline's coming up fast. All entries need to be working and have either an uploaded ROM or an offsite link to the submission that will remain up and will not change. Entries can still be incomplete until next week, but time's coming soon on entering. We're working on fixing submission uploading, but until it's fixed, we'll have to make do with what we can, so if you're having submission issues, use an offsite link. If an entry does not follow the rules, it will be marked incomplete and will not be part of the contest. Get those hex editors warmed up and chugging through the final hours, people! We're expecting good stuff this year, so don't disappoint!

ArcaniaCQ, Painto and HackGame like this.
  16. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

I want to submit, but I would like an answer.

17. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

All players including streamers are recommended to play the game genuinely. Your idea will end up backfiring as the code will end up possibly being put on the stream. Either give the code to everyone, or don't bother.

18. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Third time my question has been missed now:

19. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Which I answered.

Soldaten likes this.
  20. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

That's not presently a concrete answer though, is it? =P

Also, midnight is vague. Like I said, midnight when it crosses from the 8th to the 9th? Or the 9th to the 10th? Because Sunday 9th midnight technically is the moment we ENTER Sunday. And a lot of people will think we have the whole of Sunday to enter... when we don't.