Sonic Hacking Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Spanner, Mar 23, 2016.

1. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Would anyone be able to tell us how many hacks were submitted or will that have to wait until after edits are done?

2. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

Considering that it still seems possible to still drop out during this grace period week, I think a full list of submissions won't be revealed until the end of the week.

3. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

I'm stressed :D

4. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

IIRC in both previous contests I've participated, the list was released after the extra week.

FireRat and ProjectFM like this.
  5. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Yeah, we're waiting until the grace period for edits and whatnot is over before reporting the total count. I've already run a few counts against the DB, and the numbers have shifted several times, so it's just better to wait for when everything's settled and set. Until then, only the judging staff have any idea of the entry count for this year.

6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I find Knuckles ever so rude!

[​IMG]

He apologises pretty quickly though... I suppose I could forgive him =P

7. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

"Unlike Sonic I don't chuckle." :p That's why I love hacking section of Sonic fanbase. :D

8. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

Homebrew is love, homebrew is life. R.I.P., homebrew competition. :(

DanielHall and Soldaten like this.
  9. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

Fortunately, I had checked that on Day 01 of the site going Live before getting back to work on MIAA Women's Hockey 2015 (I still have 03 more volumes of it to complete right now, both for the original version and Tournament Edition, plus the specials), it definitely let go of a lot of pressure on me personally, so I am glad that Sega Homebrew Competition II was not held this year due to reconstruction.
    If I had to recommend anything for the development of Sega Homebrew Competition II, while it is the topic of discussion, I do feel that if it does get an expansive trophy set, similar to the Hacking Contest, we need to have a diverse group of judges (alongside the originals, SuperEgg and LazloPsylus) that make up the Sega Homebrew scene, spanning from as far back as the SG~1000 to as late as the Dreamcast or Advanced Pico Beena, I say this especially in the event that we have something similar to the 11000101 Trophy in play, since each portion of the scene is different and knowing how technically impressive each console can get could be tricky without the diversity in judges.

It's a simple suggestion, but I feel that it would allow for the encouragement of those in the scene that we do not often witness, especially those who work with the SG~1000 variants, as well as the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast, I would love to view a Homebrew Competition that is as diverse as it could be and having that among the judges truly could assist in that, in my view.

10. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

I'm not surprised there's no homebrew contest this year. When all you got last year were repetitive hockey entries no wonder it wasn't going to work out.

TheStoneBanana, Misinko and Soldaten like this.
  11. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

There were many problems with the homebrew competition last year, the least of them being hockey entries. The lack of extensive planning, the little attention it was given by hacking contest staff, it being a first of its own thing; it really comes down to little attention given to it. I firmly believe homebrew can go places, just wish it got more support and love than was given to it last year.

FireRat and Royameadow like this.
  12. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

There's a weird bug on the description submission. Every time I put a percentage symbol when I come back to it later, there happens to be a backslash before the percentage. For example, when I put that my hack works with KEGA 100%, when I save it, it saves fine, but when I go back into it, suddenly, it's 100\%. I thought nothing of it, but when I came to update my hack today, it's now at 100\\\%. Any reason why it's doing this?

ProjectFM and FireRat like this.
  13. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

I would have liked to have submitted something to it this year though, or at least had some prior notice that it would be cancelled. It's not surprising at all that the first one was going to have teething problems.

14. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    The homebrew competition's fate for the year was pretty much in flux, in part due to me telling SuperEgg that I don't have the time to run it. It's not permanently dead, but it's effectively guaranteed to not happen this year. Pretty sure this lack of communication perfectly exemplifies one of the many problems the whole event had, and why it's being put on ice until things can be thought through properly. Still, sorry it wasn't announced sooner.

15. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

I refer you to my earlier post:
    So, it's looks more like an encoding problem with special characters, and it's not just URLs, then? I mean, this issue has been part of the hacking Contest Site for the last 3 years, and caused many headaches for people, so I'm surprised it's still there, honestly.

16. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

Just asking, why there were no results in SHomebrewC last year?

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

One of the issues I had last year, was that the site wouldn't accept the ROM, if the word "SEGA" wasn't in the header at the exact offset of $100. I needed it at $101, but the site simply wouldn't recognise it as a valid ROM.

...or was it my flashcart? I've somewhat forgotten now. I'll have to try it this year, but I'm sure it was the site.

18. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

the site also requires a lot of other information to be semi-intact, and this is why MT wouldnt work last year. Also 4MB limit, so my hack for this year wont be accepted either ;(

19. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    FireRat likes this.
  20. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

I'd also like to take this opportunity to ask something.
    Rewriting the sonic engine from scratch and using the original art files, I think it seems labeled as "homebrew".
    Taking the original sonic engine and doing whatever to it from any side, be general gameplay, art, music, levels, code, etc, I think it seems labeled as "romhack".

Now I am really confused with this:
    I don't really want to be spoiled about things I shouldn't really know about, nor I really want to break the secretism, but seriously, for once, what the hell do this ROM exactly consist of?
    Or even better, where do you EXACTLY define the line between "romhack" and "homebrew"?
    Not to mention, the other ROMs were also romhacks, just not from sonic games.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    pixelcat likes this.