Sonic 4 in 1

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by AURORA☆FIELDS, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giovanni.gen

giovanni.gen It's still Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

Bug: If you save a state while you're playing a game and load the save state while playing another game, the game will crash or glitch up.

For example, loading a Sonic 1 save state while playing Sonic 2 or 3 will cause a crash screen to show up.
    Loading it in Sonic & Knuckles will cause glitches. This glitch made Fusion crash.
    Said things can happen even on the game selection screen.
    Here is an example:
    Holy shoot.PNG

Other than the glitchy stuff, the idea is pretty neat.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

Great idea: break the game like that and call it a bug.

Why even stop there? Let's make a Ristar savestate and load it inside Blue Spheres!

Aside of that, I really like the hack and how it made something i was waiting for since Sonic 3 in 1.
    Bug report: on MD.Emu Retro and SSRG splash screens only show up once (but hack works perfectly)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  3. TheBlurCafe

TheBlurCafe Welcome to TheBlurCafe! Member

I'm pretty sure Dynamite Headdy will work on S2K...
    Right?
    In all seriousness though, there's no reason why anybody would load a different game's state while playing another game (unless it's Sonic 3D Blast or the S-Factor <.< )
    I can understand the game breaking because of some bug with state loading, but that would make sense if it was the same game you're playing, but as far as I can tell, that doesn't happen.

pixelcat likes this.
  4. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

I think Giova got all his crashes from same ROM. Crashes shouldn't happen if you use savestates within the same ROM however. I suspect the save states miss the bank switching setting (therefore making it a true bug from emulator's part). Guess what? Natsumi said that Fusion support is only partial, so...

TheInvisibleSun and Chaotix like this.
  5. TheBlurCafe

TheBlurCafe Welcome to TheBlurCafe! Member

Have you tried using the other suggested emulators?

FireRat likes this.
  6. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Maybe because save states don't work well on games that utilize bankswitching? What's likely happening is that the savestate doesn't properly retain hardware register states and recognize banking, so when you use the savestate while the game is using other banks, it shits itself. That's likely a flaw in the savestate format, and could be replicated in anything that uses banking.

7. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

This is an intentional effect, as far as soft resetting goes. If the game notices you used a soft reset, it will not clear any menu RAM, if you were on the menu, and if the flags that control what v-int to use are not cleared, then the splash screens do not show. So either its a RAM clearing bug in MD.EMU or it is soft resetting by default.

The reason to have this in the first place is, if you are playing on hardware, you will be spending some time needlessly in the splash screens, even if just to skip it. I'd rather skip them for the user, if they do not need to see it. Of course, I can't really help if you hard reset on the emulators though.

FireRat likes this.
  8. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member Member

hey natsumi, you say in the OP there's full everdrive md support, but whenever i try to load it it gives me a "prog error 141", which is according to all my googling caused by the rom size being too large. as far as i can tell this isn't your fault, and my everdrive is kinda old, definitely genuine but an older model, but i guess maybe the "full support" claim in the OP is probably not accurate?

9. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

I got it tested by RHS, and after fixing some issues he said its fine. I was under the impression it flat out wouldn't work on Everdrive MD though. I will make a note about older models until I can get concrete information about this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.