General Screenshot/Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by redhotsonic, Jul 2, 2015.

1. VAdaPEGA

VAdaPEGA whom belongs the red cat, complaints appreciated Member

The names are from the chunk rips (I was too lazy to rip them myself at the time, so I just grabbed one off of spriters-resource).
    Except for MotorRoach (roach~), who had done a 1:1 scale version of that one chunk using Sonic for scaling, otherwise everything's done by me.

So really you just need to credit me.

2. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

Man, this is lovely. It's something I really wanted to see. Are you planning on remaking the other competition levels as well?

3. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

If you would put some original levels and fitting gimmicks in, you would be my hero.

4. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

Sounds good.

Yes. The full topic will be made when I have a download available for the public. From what I was reading, I can't really make a post for a hack unless I have contest to share with people, so in observance of the rules (as I interpreted them) I simply posted a teaser in this thread. I've made a screenshot for every level minus Balloon Park which is kind of a mess at the moment due to a palette goof on my part. I kind of botched line one of the palette and haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. Not a hard fix, obviously, but not a priority when I work on one level at a time (aside from importing the art I need and verifying that it functions properly). If you're interested in seeing more, I'll post the ones I've got. It's not like I won't put them in main topic when it's created.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm actually interested in feedback about the above levels. Both of these levels utilise chunks that I created by piecing together the unscaled art into larger chunks. Does it look natural or would you all prefer to see these levels brought completely up to scale. To my eyes, the scaled levels actually seem a little big, but I'm wondering if it's simply because I've been looking at the unscaled art adapted to Sonic's scale.

MrCat -- if you mean original level layouts, that will definitely be included. I have no desire to make a hack with the competition levels that is simply those brief layouts in one player. As for original gimmicks, there will be some, yes. I have ideas that I consider rather original for them, but I'd rather not give that away at the moment. There will also be the occasional gimmick that was revealed in the competition levels to start with (ie, the sinking sand from Desert Palace, the oil in Azure Lake, balloons in Balloon Park, etc.)

If you meant completely new, original levels, I have another hack planned after this one that should satisfy that desire, but I'd rather not get ahead of myself. =)

FireRat likes this.
  5. pixelcat

I meant original enemies. Idk what was up with me.

6. TheBlurCafe

TheBlurCafe Welcome to TheBlurCafe! Member

Oh, please, no need to worry about me worshipping spaghetti, but you'll still have to bow to them.
    All jokes aside, is the entire hack gonna be Sonic 3 multiplayer levels in Sonic 2 as actual levels with new layout?

7. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I'm glad to see this is being restarted. I really like how the 2p levels looked despite being scaled down from the normal Sonic 3K levels and I'm excited to see how the levels with upscaled art will look.

This is incredibly minor but are you going to add back the trees in the background of Desert Palace? They're not present in the screenshot you posted. Additionally, do you plan on making larger loops to fit Sonic's larger size? Third, you should make the floating leaves in Asure Lake produce the falling leaves from Aquatic Ruin.

8. Jareth247

Jareth247 Well-Known Member Member

I've been wanting to see the Sonic 3 2P levels remade into full-fledged single-player levels, so I honestly cannot wait for this.

9. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

First of all, I'm glad you're excited for the hack, Jareth! You won't have to wait long =)

There will be original bosses and enemies.

More info will be revealed when I'm able to make a full post, but essentially yes. As of now there are only five levels planned with two acts each.

The screenshots provided so far do not have upscaled art, although they are from actual emulated play and not concept art. I've decided to go ahead and make a version that contains solely upscaled art and one in the manner I had started it. It won't take that long and, as MarkeyJester pointed out, is now much simpler.

You are the first person to point this out and there is a reason for their absence. The trees in the background of Desert Palace were cut from my original hack and they've been cut from this hack as well. So far, at least. It's hard to describe in words, but they do not look "correct" when put in first player and used as a background. My intended fix for this is to move the palm trees to the foreground.

There will be larger loops to accommodate Sonic's larger size. They are already present, although not visible in any of the posted screenshots. In the modification of the scaled down material that I had to work with, the loops look "different" from a normal loop (like in the original hack), but I sort of enjoy the novelty of it. We'll see if you all enjoy it as well when I release it. If not, it will be reverted, of course.

That's hilarious you mentioned that about Aquatic Ruin's leaves. In the original hack, I had used Aquatic Ruin's slot for Azure Lake to make easy use of those leaves. That wasn't necessary in the newer hack, but I still intend to use the ARZ leaves. I enjoy the presence that they bring to the game.

10. B. Comet

B. Comet Is fun still infinite? Member

Maybe I should have written "PINGAS" instead.

[​IMG]

EMK-20218 likes this.
  11. TheBlurCafe

Heh, that'd be cool.
    But, altough it looks funny, it'd be a bit bland from an in-game view.

12. VAdaPEGA

VAdaPEGA whom belongs the red cat, complaints appreciated Member

[​IMG]
    some trash in the making

HackGame, Niko, elaymm4 and 17 others like this.
  13. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees Banned for being a fucking cockwomble Exiled

[​IMG]
    A mockup of art I worked on last weekend for the same hack as the one I showed screenshots of earlier. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a lot finished in time for Christmas, so I'll just show it now. Besides ring and HUD, everything is original and made from scratch. Sonic's art I know won't be in the planned demo, as it is very unfinished, but whatever.

Anyways, onto the level itself. It's called Marble City (as it's built on top of Marble :p) and it's basically Not Studiopolis Zone... But with Lava. At the moment the only progress I did so far besides the art itself is that I imported most of the art (still need to import a few tiles I forgot) into the game, and I finished a few blocks and like one chunk. Ugh, this is gonna be a pain to make...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  14. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Your right, it is shit. GOOD SHIT!, I always tell you this, your art is pretty damn good in my opinion and it's original!. I always liked snowy levels so this has got me interested.

15. TheBlurCafe

Holy Fuckle McKnuckle that is GORGEOUS VAda, any ideas for some sort of mechanic in this level yet?

It's...It's...
    It's friggin' beautiful.
    The colors are really vibrant but in a good way, and the art looks SPLENDID! Especially the BG.

16. elaymm4

elaymm4 Bubble Car Member

After 6 months ago, i'm back. Development is progressing slowly but surely. For now i decided to improve graphics.

This is not a final option, the zone is unfinished at the moment.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    its boomer likes this.
  17. pixelcat

Can you possibly provide some still screenshots of this zone? It is for some reason really hard to see on a video.

HackGame likes this.
  18. elaymm4

elaymm4 Bubble Car Member

Here is it:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

FireRat likes this.
  19. TheBlurCafe

I'd suggest you to change the water palette, it looks bad on the waves.
    Also, the art is really messy, the underwater part is already dark without water, but it's still a mess.
    I gotta admit, first time I saw the video I thought the graphics were glitched.

ProjectFM likes this.
  20. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

I would recommend making it more clear where the player can stand. If it takes me more than an instant to find where solid ground is just by looking at a screenshot, then that means you're doing something wrong.

AURORA☆FIELDS likes this.