Hacking Habits

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by ProjectFM, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I feel like my habits while working on my hack have been heavily flawed and inefficient and it is part of the reason the last version of my hack Sonoc Next Genesis was almost unplayable. I really would like to improve, so I am interested in the habits of others so I can get a better sense of what I should and shouldn't do.

What I mean by habits can include how you choose what work to do/prioritize things, if you listen or watch anything while working, your physical position (sitting, laying, etc.), and how long and how often you work for. Also, if you have any tips, that would be awesome.

As for me, I work on whatever I notice needs to be done or feel like doing, though I do have a list of things that need to be done; I am almost always laying in bed with my laptop to the side of me; I am usually on YouTube (which probably takes up more of my attention than necessary); and I have worked for a wide variety of ranges of time, but I think 4 hours is the average and it's usually between dinner and when I go to bed (which is usually later than it needs to be).

2. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

I have the bad habit of overworking myself and over-piling myself with stupid, little projects that just get in the way of my bigger ones. I spend way too much time on the computer everyday.

I typically listen to music or have a video run in the background, just to provide background noise. I honestly cannot work in complete silence. My physical position constantly changes. In bed, I'm mostly laying down, but in chairs, I end up sitting in strange positions (that are most likely not healthy at that).

My tips are to not overwork yourself. Give yourself some break times. Also give yourself a reason to actually do the work. Find some sort of motivation.

NoneofyourBusiness and ProjectFM like this.
  3. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

One bad habit of mine: I either work really fast, or it takes me months to do one simple thing (owarisoft and ladego know what I'm talking about)
    I usually listen to music while working, typically good videogame OSTs like Sonic, Megaman or Splatoon. The position is pretty much your usual sitting pose, I don't do hacking in bed.
    The time I spend on hacking varies greatly, but yesterday I spent more than 5 hours making art which is probably not healthy... but I still need to finish everything in 16 days and this is the only way to do it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    ProjectFM likes this.
  4. NyaNyaLily

NyaNyaLily h Member

I tend to work for around 2 hours on one day. I only work on a project when I feel like it and what I work on also depends on what I feel like doing.

I usually have Discord on my other monitor when working on something, but I almost never have any music on, since it distracts me way too much.

As for tips, I'd recommend you to only work on your projects when you feel like it, that way you put more passion into your project instead of just rushing it and "Eh, it's finally done now, I guess".
    And if you don't know what to do next with your hack, take a break. Go for a walk or play video games or something, maybe you'll even come up with a new idea while doing so.

ProjectFM likes this.
  5. NiphFM

NiphFM Host of the Mega Drive Music Contest Member

Since I haven't done anything hacking wise for a while, I can't really give you any tips on what good habits are, though I will tell you that having a set plan that's detailed and fleshed out as much as possible should be top priority. That way, you can see exactly what you need to do in order to get things done.

My general work-load gets done in random energy spikes of when I feel like doing it, but if you choose to adopt this format, make sure you don't fall into the trap of leaving things to the very last minute to be finished, say for an SHC deadline. As CHRdutch said above, your worst work usually comes from rushing, and I know this first hand as well, being runner-up for the Big Trophy last year.

But anyway, hopefully this helps somewhat...

ProjectFM likes this.
  6. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

I am gonna pitch in how I do things as well. I usually program for some time, until I either feel like I need a break or I hit a roadblock. In the latter case, I would usually mess around with it to see if I can fix it or at least understand it better. Then I'd just distract myself with youtube or discord or w/e. Now, you might thing I am wasting my time on unnecessary bullshit, but you'd be wrong. Simply, when I am clueless as to what is wrong, its easy to just for a moment step aside and not think about it. Instead, let my imagination go wild. Interestingly, most of the times I can think of a possible solution, pick it up with logical part of my brain, and test it out. Doesn't work nearly always, but its much easier and less frustrating than each time just bruteforcing my way out of it. I do need to do that often too though.

I usually have a plan for all of my hacks carefully. Not like systematically, but I have a good idea what I want from it and how I am going to achieve it. I sometimes would add random stuff just because I can but generally I stick to the plan. I always listen to music or watch videos and sit down at my desk. Often work for at least 4 hours in 6 hours time, but it can depend wildly per day. One of the things I swear by when writing code, is comments everywhere. If you've seen any of my code, you know how retarded some of them are, treating the reader like they have no clue. Idk why I do it but it beats not commenting at all.

ProjectFM likes this.
  7. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    To be perfectly honest: Alcohol and friends with terrible ideas. Sounds crazy, and not recommended at all, but that is amusingly how a number of my projects are done.

ProjectFM likes this.
  8. Jefftastic

Jefftastic n00blet Member

Personally, I just let my imagination go crazy, thats how I get my ideas for levels and etc.
    My work time usually lasts hours upon hours, usually taking hour breaks, only cause of motivation to "get it done."
    I actually really enjoy the experience of making these hacks, I treat it as any other hobby.

ProjectFM likes this.
  9. Pineapple Arse

Pineapple Arse I ironically hate cold temperatures. Member

My hacking habits are to make sprites, then forgetting the importing part because I am being lazy.

Jefftastic likes this.
  10. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

I tend to start projects, and get bored with them myself. I know it's a very bad habit, and all it does is make me end up with thousands of projects left unfinished. I find it hard to focus on one project, I start a project but then think up of ideas for another project and that goes on and on. I tell myself that I need to focus on one project at a time, get one done and start another one if I want, but I never listen. :\ Sometimes I just have the urge to release all my unfinished projects to the public and then start fresh, but then I don't want to share unfinished work.

ProjectFM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.