Is SonED2 compatible with the Hivebrain disassemblies?

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by BeefaroniJones, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeefaroniJones

BeefaroniJones Newcomer Trialist

I'm using the most up to date version of SonED2 and the project files for the Hivebrain Sonic 1 disassemblies given on Sonic Retro. Whenever I save the project files they corrupt the associated files from the disassembly and create an error. I'm assuming it's SonED's fault, because the project files seem perfectly fine, but I'm not sure. I hope I'm not missing something stupid.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  2. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

SonED2, in my experience, has been rather unreliable. I personally use SonLVL for all my level editing needs, as it is still being updated regularly and has a very pleasant UI that's very easy to use.

TheInvisibleSun likes this.
  3. BeefaroniJones

BeefaroniJones Newcomer Trialist

I'm probably just going to start using the GitHub disassembly. The Hivebrain one has only been bringing up problems and SonLVL dropped support for it anyways. I'll definitely try SonLVL out, thanks for responding.

4. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    SonED2 has been working with the Hivebrain disassembly for quite awhile. Back before SonLVL was a thing, SonED2 was what many of the community used for layouts with disassemblies, as SonED and ESE had been designed with hex hacking in mind. There could be any number of reasons why SonED2 is corrupting files, and several people may be able to help diagnose why it's happening in your particular case, but to answer the question posed by the original thread title, SonED2 is very much compatible with Hivebrain, and has been for quite awhile.

Also, in case anyone tries to chime in and stir, I'm not advocating for either. Use what you prefer or what you feel comfortable using. SonLVL and SonED2 can both handle level layout modification for disassemblies, and adding support for ones not supported out of the box takes making configurations for them to point to the right files.

TheInvisibleSun, AkumaYin and nineko like this.
  5. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Indeed, both SonLVL and the GitHub disassembly are relatively recent things, using SonED2 with the Hivebrain disassembly has been the standard for several years, even I managed to set it up.

However, I'll follow Lazlo's steps and I won't recommend either. Try all 4 combinations of editors and disassemblies, and see which one suits you better, but make sure to give SonED2 + Hivebrain another chance, don't take a decision only because you feel you're forced to, due to some error which can be probably easily fixed.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, that's a changelog from like, seven years ago. In its current state, SonLVL fully supports Hivebrain's 2005 disassembly, I even use it as the example in my setup guide. Although it does have fewer object definitions than the GitHub disassembly, because nobody's put in the effort to port them over.

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I've always found SonED2 to be more efficient at editing/creating art/blocks/chunks, while SonLVL to be more efficient at editing/creating layouts/object placement. I do believe SonLVL to have updated its art/block/chunk editing system at some point from what I remember, but I've never gotten to using it.

Pick your poison.

8. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees Banned for being a fucking cockwomble Exiled

It's all down to personal taste. Doesn't matter if it's SonED2 or SonLVL, Hivebrain or GitHub, just use whatever works for you.

For me, I use SonED2 and SonLVL for the complete opposite reasons everybody else does. I use SonED2 for making layouts, and SonLVL for art. I also use the original ASM68K version of Sonic 1 Two-Eight (mostly due to me never doing research and downloading the first download that was on the Retro wiki page lol)

Just please. Don't use ESE1/2 or the original SonED. Those are actually outdated tools, and they limit what you could do (Unless you want to disassemble your own ROM and find out what all the code does)

Niko and MarkeyJester like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.