Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. EditChris

EditChris STH:DB - Someday... Member

I did it.

'I ported the REV01 BG Effects years ago, and knowing that, I followed the necessary steps to make it REV01-Friendly.'
    In order to do it, I followed those steps.

EDIT: Ignore this topic, already fixed. The problem was that I'm too blind.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Hmm, could you at least elaborate on what exactly went wrong?

You mentioned there was a problem, but didn't quite mention what was wrong.

Did it glitch out graphically? Does it scroll wrong? Does it just scroll like Rev00 instead of Rev01? Is the collision messed up? Do you have any screenshots?

3. EditChris

EditChris STH:DB - Someday... Member

The only screenshot I can provide it's one where the game crashes. It doesn't even load the title screen.
    When it reaches the part where the text 'Sonic Team Presents' is displayed, it does display correctly (of course),
    but when it tries to load the title screen (the title screen BG), it crashes.
    I can't show a screenshot because... it doesn't really display anything.
    I also tried to load directly GHZ1 to see if it was something only from the Title Screen, but no. It crashes there too.

EDIT: Ignore this topic, already fixed. The problem was that I'm too blind.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Oh, there was a screenshot?

That didn't show up for me, I suspected there might have been one last night, but I clicked reply so I could see your post in raw code, and there were no links or images. Perhaps it's a board fuck up, who knows...

5. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Funny story, Xeal and I were thinking the same thing. Checking the post code, though, we're not seeing any screenshot ever being attached, so... we dunno. Auto-embedding is now disabled, so that couldn't have caused it to be eaten (not that we know of brokenness on image embeds currently), and post code seems to not have any indications of an attachment or mangled image link.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AkumaYin likes this.
  6. NyaNyaLily

NyaNyaLily h Member

Does anyone here have some good tips as how to choose the right intruments for a SMPS remix?
    I've tried to create a SMPS remix multiple times now (and failed to multiple times) and it always just doesn't sound right.
    I did improve over time though, since my remixes at least don't sound like a wall of random sounds being blasted through your eardrums anymore. That however, doesn't mean exactly much, judging by this demo:

[Bad remix warning]

I think I am close to creating something (somewhat) competent here, but I just can't get the intrumentation right. Trying to mix and match other MIDI intruments or stealing intruments from Sonic 1 didn't work either. So, does anyone have some tips that I can use to make this not sound like ass?

Thanks in advance.

7. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

If you download some .vgz files, SMPS2Mid can use the instruments (aka voices) from them. Just find whatever voices you think fit the best and try new ones if the ones you picked don't end up sounding right.

kenny0989 and NyaNyaLily like this.
  8. NiphFM

NiphFM Host of the Mega Drive Music Contest Member

Hey. How would I go about extending the length of a level layout in Sonic 1?

9. kenny0989

kenny0989 Well-known idiot Member

Also note that Chorus is not allowed in mid2smps conversion ! As chorus does volume boost itself, it'll cause SMPS volume out of control

NyaNyaLily likes this.
  10. Tanman Tanner

Tanman Tanner Well-Known Member Member

This isn't really a question... more or less it's a request.
    Does anyone happen to have "Sonic 2's Game Gear Boss Theme" in .asm format for the Sonic 2 SMS Disassembly? I've been trying to disassemble Sonic 2 Game Gear ROM to get at it to no success.

11. TKCool

TKCool Memes with no dreams In Limbo

Hi! Just wanted to know, where can I find the SMPS Archive? I've tried smps.digibase.ca, but to no avail. Have they shut down? If not, where can I find them?

12. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    The SMPS Archive was inducted into the Void, as it was no longer maintained and most of its contents have been broken for some time due to hosting sites going down or changing forms as well as site structural changes. We still have the original forum intact just in case, it's just only currently accessible by particular staff.

AkumaYin likes this.
  13. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Extracting the song in binary format from the S2GG ROM is the easy part, if you want I can extract it for you. However, there will be two things to consider:
    1. are you sure that S2GG and S2MS use the same revision of the SMPS engine? I think they're compatible, but then again, most of the songs (even the common ones) have small differencies between the GG and the MS, this is something you can only try, I guess;
    2. even if I extract the binary of a certain song and it turns out that its SMPS revision is indeed compatible, I don't know how to convert it to ASM format (afaik, smps2asm only works with the 16-bit SMPS); this is not a problem per se, but the pointers in the song header will be all wrong, so you either find a way to convert the binary to ASM, or you fix the pointers by hand (e.g. via hex editing).
    That said, if you think you have a reasonable chance to succeed, I'll extract the binary of the song for you later.

AkumaYin likes this.
  14. Tanman Tanner

It looks a lot like it. I know the Game Gear is capable of a few things the Master System can't do in the area of audio, but it seems pretty much like a clean conversion from GG to SMS, I just can't get it out of there without my disassembler surrounding it with a bunch of garbage code. (Long story as to why my disassembler is just spewing garbage - it's old and it's actually a NES disassembler. I modded it a bit so I could disassemble GG and SMS games. It does SMS without a problem. GG on the other hand...)

EDIT: From Sonic Retro:
    They don't give me the GG's amounts of PSG channels, but I can probably assume that it's probably 4. Probably.

I wouldn't mind doing that.

Yes, I'd appreciate that. Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  15. breakthetargets

breakthetargets Well-Known Member Member

The GG uses the PSG as well, but in this particular case, the PSG here is stereo (hard pan left, hard pan right, or center). It's the same chip besides this one change basically.

16. TKCool

Oh, well thanks anyway. Any alernative sites or anything else I can use? SMPS isn't really my strong point, so it would be good to have a place where I could request help.

EDIT: I have followed Markey's guide, but I just can't get it drilled into my head.

17. Tanman Tanner

Oh, okay. So essentially I could port the bin that nineko will provide me pretty simply without the need to alter anything too much post-conversion-to-ASM, right?
    Or am I completely off on that?

18. nineko

Ok so, time for a sparse reply. The TL;DR version is that you're in luck.

As it turns out, the SMPS engine used in S2GG is indeed compatible with the one used in S2MS (while Sonic Chaos and Sonic Triple Trouble use slightly different revisions, but we all know that). The GG version actually supports one more coordination flag (E2) to set the stereo, but it's not used anywhere, so you don't have to take care about that when you port the song.

That said, I attach the binary file of the GG boss theme. Now you're on your own, as I don't know how to convert it to ASM, and it would take some time to fix the pointers by hand. But hey, it's there.

Good luck with your project, I hope you can succeed!

Attached Files:

• 14.bin
      File size:
      666 bytes
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  19. TKCool

Hi! Can anyone please help me learn how to use mid2smps? I don't really understand, and I've heard that it only works with ROMs. Can I use it with a split disassembly? If so, please do teach me how to use it.
    P.S. If it helps, I'm using Hivebrain's 2005 Sonic 1 disasm.

20. nineko

Mid2smps is meant to work with split disassemblies. The hard part is preparing the MIDI beforehand, but once that's done, the rest of the process is actually quite easy. You need a bank of instruments, too, but there's no shortage of them around.

I still prefer xm3smps though, for obvious reasons :p

AkumaYin likes this.