Sonic Hacking Contest 2018

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Spanner, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

There's no judging at all for the Expo. It also gives an opportunity for those who missed the Contest deadline to show off their stuff.

RouRouRou likes this.
  2. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Is it possible to change my username on the SHC site? The old one that carried over from prior contests doesn't match either of my forum account usernames anymore.

AkumaYin likes this.
  3. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Changed the display name to Pacca, you may have to log in under your old name though.

Pacca likes this.
  4. NyaNyaLily

NyaNyaLily h Member

Are you allowed to edit in the trailer clip? Or can you only submit unedited footage?

5. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Considering how short the clips can be you may be better to just have it unedited as long as it's 15 seconds long.

6. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

We have had some good entries submitted so far.

Can I remind those with PC entries to provide installation instructions for their mods on their entry pages. Some have, whilst others haven't.

We don't want issues that cropped up last year to happen again, so please state how to install your mod, whether it is for a specific mod loader or you just copy the entire contents to the game folder.

AURORA☆FIELDS likes this.
  7. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Just posting a reminder that you all have under a week left to get your submissions in if you plan on submitting your hacks to the contest (October 28th). Any submissions will need a full playable build, with a one week update period ending on November 4th. If you miss out on the deadline, you can still submit to the expo, which ends on November 11th.

maple_t and Pacca like this.
  8. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Just a warning that there are two days to go before the first deadline - if you want to take part in the Contest, you need to have an entry page up with a playable submission by the end of this Sunday.

If you don't get that done, you won't be able to get your stuff judged, but you can still submit to the Expo, allowing you to still show off your work to the general public and of course our streamers.

We've had a varied selection of entries this year, and it appears there are more 3D entries submitted than ever before, which should be interesting. But the door is not closed yet, so if you want to take part in the Contest, you know what to do.

Do remember there is still the update period until the end of Sunday 4th November and judging will not commence until then - judges will however be looking at entries during the week to see if they fit the Quality Control Criteria.

Also, don't forget to submit your entry's trailer clip to redhotsonic - the instructions are in this thread. Ideally, if you are submitting to the contest, you should have that sorted by the update deadline, but the video deadline is open to the end of Sunday 11th November just in case people are a little too busy finishing off their work to make a video.

Pacca likes this.
  9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

What is the exact deadline "time"?

10. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Remember about a month ago my PC crapped out and I had to replace the motherboard and such? Well, now even the new one isn't working correctly. So yet again, my PC is a sitting brick. I don't know when I'm able to get this fixed (a lot of other stuff going on behind closed doors), but this obviously means I do not have the sufficient tools to create this year's trailer. I'm gutted this had to happen, but Spanner has said he'll find someone else to provide the trailer. He'll announce something shortly. But for now, hold fire on sending you video clips to my e-mail address. Any that you have already sent, I will forward onto the next person who creates the trailer.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

@MarkeyJester the exact time of the deadline is "whenever Cinossu wakes up on the 29th".

12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

So 1am on a Sunday morning right?

TruffledToad and AURORA☆FIELDS like this.
  13. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

More like 12am GMT on Monday morning more like (therefore the end of Sunday). However there's always the slight chance that things don't close until 7am GMT in the morning (which would give those in other time zones the full day), or whenever Cinossu wakes up that day. I'm sure he can clarify more but you will still be able to work on your submission during Sunday, otherwise my previous post would have only said one day to go rather than two. I know it's confusing but I believe everything has to be turned off manually, it doesn't go by server time or whatever. For now, assume it's Monday 12am GMT to be on the safe side.

MainMemory likes this.
  14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Ahhh cool~

Thank you, this cleans it up nicely.

So as a final note, The end of Sunday the stroke of midnight into Monday is the absolute deadline, and any time after that we'll call "risky time", because we're technically not meant to have it, but can abuse it if necessary under the grounds that we my shoot ourselves in the foot if Marc wakes up.

Got it!

15. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

All those who plan on entering the Contest have LESS THAN 24 HOURS TO SUBMIT. At 12am GMT on Monday (also known as 8pm EDT on Sunday, remember that the clocks are changing), no more submissions to the Contest will be possible but there is always the Expo.

Remember, you don't need to be finished until next week, we just need that playable entry.

Also in regards to RHS and the trailer, he did get back to me earlier saying that he may have now fixed his computer troubles after all, although I may have someone else lined up as well. So we may end up with two trailers this year, or we might just have one. There will be more about that soon.

16. Roxurface

Roxurface Well-Known Member Member

I posted my entry to the contest, but now the entry shows up on the Expo tab on the website. I attempted to repost it to the Contest tab, but I notice the URL on the website is simply sonichackingdotorg/entry/### regardless of which section I upload to.

I guess what I'm asking is; I want to make sure my entry is judged, is that gonna happen or do I need to take action? Thanks for your patience if this is kind of a stupid question, I just want to make sure.

MarkeyJester likes this.
  17. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

Hey everyone! This is your six hour reminder for entry into the Contest portion of the SHC! Get your entries in before midnight UK time!

Just to clarify, this is for new entries; if you already have an entry, you still have your extra week of work to go about finishing things off. However, we will begin running quality control checks from this point on, meaning you should have a download available for us now and be happy with that being a possible entry at this point. The extra week is for sprucing things up, not to work on the entire entry in total.

That said, entry into the Expo side is still possible, and will be up and until the Contest Week where everything is shown off and all the fun begins!

-------------------------------
    @Roxurface: Your entry should be moved from the Expo to the Contest now. Good luck!

Roxurface likes this.
  18. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

The deadline for Contest submissions has now expired, no more submissions can be made. If you still have something you want to show, please submit it to the Expo up to Sunday 11th November!

This week up to the end of Sunday 4th November (12am GMT on Monday 5th, 7pm EST Sunday 4th) is the update period for Contest submissions. After that, the judging will commence.

A list will also be posted with all the Contest entries following that deadline, it'd be inappropriate to post it right now as by the end of this week we may have some entries moved to the Expo as a result of quality control or failing to submit a playable build before the deadline. Any entries that will be moved to the expo will be emailed regarding it and the reasons why.

Regarding the trailer, RHS has told me that he will be sending back his motherboard for RMA and therefore will not be doing the trailer this year in case any further faults happen. However, Ryan from Tails Channel will be handling the duties instead. If you have already submitted clips to RHS, they will be forwarded to Ryan. If you haven't submitted trailer clips yet, please send them to SonicNewsChannel[@]gmail[.]com - please remember to submit in MP4 format, in 1080p at 60fps if possible and in the game’s respective aspect ratio.

Pineapple Arse and Pacca like this.
  19. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I have the unfortunate news that I will skip being a judge for this year's contest. "Skip", not step down. It doesn't mean that I'm not interested in judging and won't do it the upcoming years either, quite the opposite actually. The issue this year arose when I took an early look at the list of SHC 2018 entries.

Without spoiling too much, for the first time ever, we have more entries for mods of 3D Sonic games than 2D ones. Back then it wasn't much of an issue, because the subset of 3D games was small. However, this year the number of entries is so large that I cannot judge them in an unbiased and fair manner.

You see, I've never completed any 3D Sonic game apart from SADX, because I really, really, really hate 3D Sonic games. That includes Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog, Generations, Unleashed, Colors, Lost Worlds, and don't even get me started on Forces. So it'd be unfaithful to any participant who submitted a mod for any of these games if I just took my preemptive bias and collectively disregarded them in favor of 16-bit games.

An idea was to plow through all the original games before the official judging process would begin, but in reality that wouldn't change anything. Your hard work and effort put into your Forces mod won't magically make Forces a game that I can enjoy any better.

So, to preserve the good sports and fair competition for the Sonic Hacking Contest, I will pass over my position as a judge to Melpontro, who has generously accepted to pick up the task for me and is also much more capable of proper judgment for 3D Sonic mods than me.

20. TruffledToad

TruffledToad Mushroom says, mushroom does. Member

Remember when people were wondering about the coverage of PC mods after last year? Heh, funny how things change.

Unfortunately, I guess this means I won't be really involved in this year's contest either, since I don't have any emulators for the 3D games, nor do I have them bought on thy PC. Do you guys think this will possibly affect judging in the later years? I'm worried not cause I can't play the entries, but because some people might not be able to stay unbiased with the 3D games, don't have the games themselves (or the resources to buy them), or just prefer the Classic games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.