Sonic Eclipse

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by pixelcat, Nov 26, 2018.

1. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

[​IMG]

Sonic Eclipse is a Sonic 2 8-bit hack for the Sega Master System.
    Our main goal is to show that it's possible to make a 8-bit hack as full fledged as any 16-bit hack, and our first demo features one complete Zone and a Hub world with new Layouts, Art and Music.

We hope you enjoy our hack!

Credits:

[​IMG]

Download

Team Aspect Jr., 2018

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I think it all looks very lovely, and I am particularly disappointed with the lack of response posts in here...

Bluestreak and pixelcat like this.
  3. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

I had a lot of fun playing this. The artwork looks fantastic under the limitations, the music is pleasant to listen to, and the layouts had lots of little secrets and hidden paths to them. Thank you for making something enjoyable, that also caught me by surprise.

Crimson Neo, Bluestreak and pixelcat like this.
  4. KosmoF

KosmoF Masochistic epileptic FEMALE gamer! Member

I'm not sure what it is with the sms contest/expo entries, but Fusion just brings up a "software error" message when I try loading any of them; it's really annoying as I love playing sms games and hacks.

Bluestreak likes this.
  5. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Lady in red, living in dread. Member

KosmoF they play perfectly on my version of KEGA Fusion (3.64), but maybe I am just lucky.

Anywho, masterful work here. Having you start at Underground and fall down a hole to a strange warp thing was shocking. The Hub looked more like what Sonic Blast shoulda looked like, almost looking pre-rendered. Crystal Coast reminded me a lot of Angel Island from Sonic 3, and how Mr. Cat pulled off it going from a dense jungle to a seaside was incredible, and well-done use of palette trickery and creativity with tilework.

The new music was a great treat. I thought I'd never see an SMS Sonic 2 hack with new music. The ending was also a real treat.

Mr. Cat, Vadapega, and Yoshister are the masters of Master System hacking, and make an amazing team.

pixelcat and ProjectFM like this.
  6. pixelcat

Thanks for the kind words! c:

maybe you could use a different emulator like Gens?

7. BurningFlame

BurningFlame Bang! Member

That's really an awesome hack! Graphics are surprisingly well-detailed for a 8-bit console. Honestly, I didn't expect less from you!
    Also, SMS does what NES don't!

pixelcat likes this.
  8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

It's the BIOS preventing you from playing the game I'm afraid. I think someone may have made a checksum fix for SMS games, though that could be my memory playing tricks on me. For now, if you're using a emulator disable the BIOS and the game will boot up just fine. By default all emulators, aside from MEKA doesn't even include a SMS BIOS by default. BTW great work to all involved! :D

9. pixelcat