The Free Assets Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by LuigiXHero, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Gamma V

Gamma V Well-Known Member Member

That's a pretty nice SMPS, but I feel that the intro should have slight pitch bends on the "Yeah" part.

kenny0989 likes this.
  2. kenny0989

kenny0989 Well-known idiot Member

3. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

Well, there hasn't been a post here for a while, but I've got something for everyone. It's a brand new credits file! It adds the color red along with blue. I recommend you extend the art limit and install Enigma Credits to use them. I plan on updating it in the future to add beige and grey, but for now, we've got red. Here's a picture of it used in PlaneED
    Capture.PNG
    You could use them to credit me, funny how that works, huh?

Attached Files:

Niko and RouRouRou like this.
  4. RouRouRou

RouRouRou Ain't no fun if the aliens can't have none. Member

Hey, this is pretty cool! I'll try this out later.

I know you're using Sonic's pallet line for these, but it makes me wonder if someone could use another line of colours.
    It'd probably have some issues with the demos though.

Maybe I'll release something here...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  5. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Indeed, you can use any palette line you want on those letters, which is what I did in my hack (which, incidentally, is a decade old by now, time sure flies). It doesn't cause any problems with the demo sequences, since the level palettes are reloaded anyway.

For this reason, I'd avise you against duplicating tiles where a simple palette change would suffice, since VRAM is limited (and you would increase the ROM size as well, but that's negligible so I'll let it slide). You might argue that nothing else is using the VRAM at that time so it's not a big deal, but that's not true: the level art for the next demo sequence is actually loaded while the text is displayed, and while it's unlikely that there would be any collisions anyway, it's still bad practice to do something this trivial in a wrong way.

Thus, ironically, changing the palette line is actually safer than the alternative.

Attached Files:

KCEXE likes this.
  6. RouRouRou

RouRouRou Ain't no fun if the aliens can't have none. Member

Ah, thanks for clearing this up Nineko. I knew I'd seen it in a few hacks around, just wondering if it was as simple as changing the pallet line used by the mappings.

And yes, I'll post something in here eventually...

7. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Well, in addition to changing the palette line in the mappings, you do have to edit the other palette lines themselves, otherwise they're completely black at that point. Copying the colors from the first line and replacing the blues with greens and reds will do (e.g. change 0N 00 to 00 N0 in one line and to 00 0N in the other one: remember that the color format is 0B GR in two bytes or 4 nybbles).

8. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

1: Seems that I forgot to add the letter 'I'. 2: I could just delete duplicates and mirrored tiles, which there is plenty of those found in this file. So, that should ease some ROM & VRAM space concerns. 3: The palette line method sounds interesting. But then I thought, combining both the extra tiles AND the different lines could mean there'd be 12 or 16 different credits colors. 4: Even if I didn't optimize the amount of tiles, VRAM wouldn't be an too much of an issue, at least for myself... I think. I planned to remove the demo system, since attempts to edit the demos just results in Sonic walking into walls more often than not. But of course, since this is a public asset, some aren't going to remove the demos. So either I do as 2 states, and delete dups and mirrors. Or, transition to 5: 1x1 lettering instead of 2x2. That's all. Okbai.

nineko likes this.
  9. Panduhman02

Panduhman02 Newcomer In Limbo

About this dropdash asm. Is able to be put into sonic 2?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  10. BurningFlame

BurningFlame Bang! Member

By means of copy-paste, no. Sonic 2's engine is actually pretty much different from Sonic 1's, so you can't just take the code and paste it, you need to adapt it. Also, MainMemory made a pretty interesting thread about how Dropdash works in Mania, so if you have enough ASM skills, you'll figure how to put it in.
    Or if you're a bit more lazy, then you should try playing around with original spin dash code, adapting it to fully-charging and activating in the air.
    (and no i'm totally not good with asm but still know some things thanks to MJ's 68k tutorial)
    UPD: just read basic questions thread and you got pretty much the same answer as mine

11. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

Actually, Sonic 2's engine is essentially just an updated Sonic 1 engine, and that's including Sonic's object. It essentially can be copy and pasted, but the biggest issue is how different the disassemblies are set up, documented, and labeled. Otherwise, there's not really much to do differently

12. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

Or, @Panduhman02 could go and take a few minutes, read Markey's ASM68K guide (http://mrjester.hapisan.com/04_MC68/) then take Main's Drop Dash 'guide' (http://sonicresearch.org/community/index.php?threads/how-the-drop-dash-works-in-mania.5185/) using 'guide' loosely since it's just a piece of Mania's code. And actually try converting it. You know, rather than going "I haven't done any research, could you guys give me code?" This thread is used for those who'd actually like to share their content they thought was worth sharing with everyone, not for requesting stuff. Asking for shit before making any attempts isn't going to get you far in this community, I've learnt that quite a bit ago.

Monitor, AkumaYin, Clownacy and 3 others like this.
  13. Panduhman02

Does it matter what kind of disassembly is used? The one I'm using is:
    https://github.com/sonicretro/s2disasm

14. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

Not really. Although, like Iso Kilo mentioned, I think you'll be far better off learning to program and work with the disassembly instead of just copying and pasting stuff. Much more rewarding in the end and you'll end up being able to learn to do more stuff on your own. (Also, LuigiXHero's drop dash code is not accurate to Mania, as it was done when the game was first announced)

15. Panduhman02

Alrighty then. Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure if I was using the right disassembly or not. Thank you!

16. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

Another option is waiting about 10 years until someone makes a guide on actually porting it. Although, by then you should know how to do it yourself. Cough Super Sonic, cough.

17. Panduhman02

Sounds like a plan! Yeah, I guess I'll experiment with it, and see what happens. If it works, I might just screw around and make a guide.

Terribly sorry, wont happen again

I'll be better off messing around with the code. But thank you for the suggestion!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2018
  18. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

I think you're burning through your trial posts a little quickly there, bud.

19. Panduhman02

According to the site's rules, as a Trialist, I only have 10 posts before I'm an actual member. So with this being my last post as a Trialist, I have one last question. Seeing as this IS the free assets thread, regarding LuigiXHero's dropdash disassembly, would I be able to use the dropdash subroutine as a resource with a few tweaks? Any response is welcome. Thank you.

P.s., I am terribly sorry for sounding and acting needy, it will not EVER happen again.

20. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

I've tried to use that drop dash code and no matter what I've done it doesn't work. It's also inaccurate to Mania since it was only made when the trailers were out. And according to your profile, you've only made 7 posts.