General Screenshot/Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by redhotsonic, Jul 2, 2015.

1. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Sonic 2 has a Y character in the alphabet already (e.g.Mystic Cave, Sky Chase) so I really don't understand why you're having so much trouble using it. The title card text is just basic mappings, so as long as you have the correct letters loaded during the level startup, you can just map the text yourself instead of relying on a generator.

Niko, EMK-20218, Aier and 4 others like this.
  2. Catswell

Catswell Plushy lazy cat Member

Almost all GHZ's art was remaded.
    Now I really need in good level design and original music.

3. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

Those default GHZ walls are a bit distracting, and also the fact that you can not see those springs at all is a bit of a problem, but otherwise, this looks great!

EMK-20218 and Catswell like this.
  4. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Yeah, one more level. Why not?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MrLordSith

MrLordSith Has an obsession with Sonic 1 Alpha Member

Hello! I'm making a new Sonic 1 beta remake. I've got a lot of stuff done, so I'd like to show to everyone here the progress that I have done so far.

Here's how the zones that have been changed currently look:

Zones
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Green Hill Zone has got a different palette now. I've modified the main orange so it's brighter like in really early builds of the game and made the inside color of the flowers purple instead of green like in a lot of beta builds of the game.
    Water has now been made to have the title screen's palette, as really early builds used this palette for the water as well.
    The layout has been modified, specially in act 1 and act 2. Act 2 is the one that you'll most notice that has changed when playing the ROMhack, but act 3 hasn't got that much changes because we don't have lots of images for this act unlike act 1 and act 2.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Labyrinth Zone has no objects whatsoever now, and has a "new" background, which is the one featured in almost every beta screenshot we've got.
    I've decided to keep water but make it look like that one screenshot where the background is blue. Notice how Sonic's palette is the same underwater.
    The layout has been modified a little bit on act 1, but not on act 2 or 3, as we barely have any screenshots of these that show differences layout-wise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marble Zone has been changed a lot.
    To start off, the main color has changed to the mockup palette and some early builds' palette, which is blue.
    There is no longer fire on the torch art, just like in early prototypes, and I've also tried to recreate the early lava as well (I have to redo the lava itself except the surface though).
    I've changed caterkillers with Yadrins and added the sideway stomper, although I haven't added UFOs yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clock Work Zone has been emptied out as well, but it's unfinished, as I have to add some other stuff yet into it.
    I think that the first few parts of layout in the first act should be completely identical to the early builds, because all it changes is the background and a bit of different layout, but that's it. So, I'm pretty happy with
    how this zone came out for the first act.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Special Stage has been remade as accurate as possible to the screenshots of what we have of it. From what it seems, there was only one stage for it, so I may disable others and only leave this one.
    I've made a working "W", which doubles the speed of the camera rotation one time, after you touch it, it won't make effect on the camera anymore (thanks to my friend for telling me that W in Japanese sometimes was used as the world "double", which made sense as of why there was a "W" object, so it was probably used to double the speed of the camera rotation, but got replaced with the UP and DOWN objects).
    I had to finish what was left unseen of the stage by myself, as we don't have screenshots of the full stage itself, so I followed the stage's logic and tried finishing it.

Other Stuff

I've changed Sonic's palette to be more blue, as in a lot of prototypes, Sonic is more blue than in the final product, but not cyan like in some screenshots, that is because of the camera's colors.

I have also reduced the ROM size to approximately 470 KB to make the ROM look like it's a real beta ROM (The ROM is 473 KB big at the moment, It'll probably get to 460 KB big while I keep removing and changing things).

I've added back the victory jump when finishing an act.
    [​IMG]

And the most important thing; the sound driver. I've made the DAC samples have a lower pitch so it's as close as possible to the beta sound driver of Sonic 1.

Well, that is almost or all I've done for now, hopefully I get to release a build of this ROMhack! =D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    KCEXE and ProjectFM like this.
  6. TruffledToad

TruffledToad Mushroom says, mushroom does. Member

I dunno about this one. I'm interested to see some of the beta elements put in as to use what was left on the cutting room floor, like how Sonic 2 Delta did. However, Sonic 2 has a lot more unused stuff than Sonic 1, at least from what I've researched, and basing it on what little we had in terms of unused sprites and screenshots leaves a lot of things up to interpretation. Also this seems to be a full on remake of the beta, but I feel that you should repurpose the hack to have more than just the beta elements. Maybe include some concept art, maybe add some details from other screenshots or promotional material (like that Tokyo Toy Show thing, or maybe the band concept art).

Getting into the screenshots themselves, I went to the Game Development page at Sonic Retro to compare them. While it looks accurate in most areas, Sonic's palette doesn't match. It is due to the palettes in the other beta stages not being compatible with the regular Sonic palette? Clock Ork Zone also has a few parts of the background overlapping and cutting each other off.

With all that being said, I am interested to see some of the stuff that was much more different in the prototypes, like the forward facing Ballhogs, Splats the Rabbit, the unused rolling wrecking ball, and all of Sparkling Zone (which became Spring Yard in the final). Even then, a lot of stuff is gonna be open for interpretation, and I feel that's where you should improvise, add in your own stuff. You don't need to really make a 1 to 1 remake based on old screenshots and mockups (in fact I think that's already been done), and while some people might be miffed, I wouldn't complain if you add your own little touches here and there.

ProjectFM likes this.
  7. GenesisDoes

GenesisDoes What Nintendont Member

Not only Sonic's palette doesn't match, but the shade of blue I feel is too deep; it blends in way too much with GHZ's background. To go along with adding you own little touches, I would increase the contrast on GHZ's blue background, as well as add some of those beta objects. (I had to stare at the victory photo for a few seconds to see Sonic blending in on the top left like a Chameleon).

Better idea idea might be to possibly add in some elements from Sonic 1 8-bit, considering it's been speculated some Sonic 1 beta elements made its way into it. (Such as the weird unused GHZ tunnel tiles from the 16-bit version, a band concept leftover of Sonic singing into a microphone at the ending, etc).

ProjectFM likes this.
  8. MrLordSith

Yeah, about Sonic's palette. It's due to the camera having wrong colors. If you look at magazines with Sonic 1 prototype screenshots or any other game, you'll see that the colors keep changing from cyan to less cyan and such.

The rolling ball and Splats are the most difficult for me to do, but I'll try getting Splats added atleast. I don't know about the GHZ Ball though, I never got it to work, so that one will be really difficult and could take a lot of time. The early Ball Hog should be easy to do.
    Sparkling Zone will start being worked on after I release the first version of this Beta Remake so people can try it out, while I start work on it.

About adding my own stuff; all other stuff like that Marble Zone mockup or concept art, and other stuff like the Tokyo Toy Show enemy and the zone itself with the mountains will get added in another version after I finish this beta remake which will be like a Sonic 1 Delta, which is basically what you've said, and I'll probably also port a new sound driver for the Delta version to add new music for new zones.

Sonic's palette was changed because of what you said, they changed Sonic's palette first and then the GHZ water color to make the scroll bug not noticeable.
    I am going to try adding Sonic's band into the soundtest and Sonic dancing like the devs had planned to since I have enough ROM space to do it.
    GHZ isn't fully finished by the way, it's got missing some objects like the GHZ Ball and such, but with time it'll have more beta elements, same with other zones =D.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    TruffledToad likes this.
  9. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

I don't see why we need a 3rd beta remake. Hell, the first Sonic 1 ROM hack was a beta remake. Everything has been established with the concept. I'd much rather see a hack that does something unique. Reusing beta elements is fine, but use them in a way that feels like their own mechanic. Example: Pana Der Hejhog, it took the wrecking ball and used it as a way to spice up the gameplay, even being the focus of the boss. That's the kind of stuff I'd (and possibly some others) would like to see with the game's own finness.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Ravenfreak, TruffledToad and Clownacy like this.
  10. EMK-20218

For making a Sonic 1 beta remake is really necessary to fuck up Sonic's palette?

Also, the different palette in MZ, the lava, and the cavern-ish LZ are looking very different from the known prototype screenshots. I appreciate your effort, but it needs a lot more work to fit the screenshots as the Mistergambit's remake did. Perhaps it has a good future because I see good potential in it.

11. MrLordSith

I'm doing my own Beta Remake because the Hoax version doesn't really add anything from the beta, and Mistergambit's has some inaccurate stuff here and there, and since we have new screenshots, I wanna try and do my own Beta Remak. I do want to use beta elements for new mechanics like you've said, but I want to do that in another version of the remake which is like a Delta version.

I've changed Sonic's palette hours ago to a better one so it's not that dark, it should look better now.

Yeah, MZ and LZ are the ones that aren't like the prototype screenshots we have, specially LZ's background (I was starting to run out of tiles to use for the background, so it got really difficult and didn't turn out that good anyways), but I'll do my best to improve. MZ's lava isn't done yet, I messed up while doing it because of the mappings, so I have to redo that.
    I don't know about the palette, though. the mockup and some other screenshot have a blue palette, but I think that's not the case actually. There's another one with early lava that doesn't have blue palette, so it's my mistake then, I'll fix. Thanks for the feedback, I'll do my best to improve!

12. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

Isn't Mistergambit still working on his Sonic 1 Beta Remake, though? He maybe have fixed some inaccurate stuff from the past.

13. MrLordSith

He did post new stuff back in 2014 and 2015, but after that, I think he just stopped. I haven't seen anything new from him :/

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  14. GenesisDoes

GenesisDoes What Nintendont Member

Future Zone Acts 2 and 3 for Socket the Hedgeduck, now with a pseudo-reverse gravity gimmick (placeholder) for act 2 and the level layout for act 3 done.

I'm expecting to have a new v0.4 demo (and a new thread, since previous was archived) out later this year, after finishing Time Castle Zone, implementing a few more bosses, and fixing bugs/polishing.

15. TurboAnimations

TurboAnimations Newcomer Exiled

That looks good, can't wait for this demo!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  16. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

@TurboAnimations Fair warning: Please do not post one-word responses. Try to make your posts more meaningful than that.

Also don't respond to this post, I want you to use your other 9 to really wow us.

Jdpense, Niko, EMK-20218 and 3 others like this.
  17. TurboAnimations

TurboAnimations Newcomer Exiled

Alright, fine.

18. EMK-20218

The final version from the art of the Signpost Sonic at the end of the level. Look how cute it looks, thanks to my friend and very talented pixel artist MEGALOMANIA.

[​IMG]

19. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Am extremely small issue, but the dimples on Sonic's mouth on the signpost seems uncharacteristic. I don't think I've seen any official Sonic art with them.

20. breakthetargets

breakthetargets Well-Known Member Member

You should look at Sonic 1's title screen as well as the box art then:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Unused Account and EMK-20218 like this.