Sonic Delta 40Mb Is Pretty Sick

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by ProjectFM, Apr 19, 2020.

1. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

The game is just basically Sega's answer to Super Mario All Stars where there is Mario Bros 1-3 and the Lost Levels. The Lost Levels for NES wasn't released outside Japan due to its levels. Sonic 2 Delta has Sonic 1, 2 and 3K and the Lost Levels of S2 but bad. As all of you mentioned, play Sonic 2 Long Version or Sonic the Lost Levels.

2. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    I'll make 2 points.

1. Why the fuck does he use the ugly as fuck Sonic 3 character sprites.
    2. I'm glad the prototype levels are exactly the same as they were 5 years ago, 7 years ago, and 10 years ago. I mean, at least we're actually seeing development on this hack over 15 years, but god damn, would it hurt the man to get someone to make his prototype level layouts? Hot garbage.

All in all, neat.

Stardust and ProjectFM like this.
  3. LavenderFields

LavenderFields Newcomer Trialist

I love this hack and I've been following the process for... 12 years?
    Of course there's a lot of bugs, but my question is:

There will be a Super and Hyper Tails? Because in Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 zones you can turn Super Tails only with the 7 Chaos Emeralds, and Super Tails have no flickies, but in Sonic 3 & Knuckles zones, you can't turn Super, you have to collect the super emeralds to turn Super, and when you do that, the Super includes the flickies, but in Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 there's no flickies for Super Tails.

4. Akram

Akram Newcomer Trialist

Ew. Why were the Sonic 3 sprites and super music used?

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

The Sonic 3 sprites are obviously the best looking sprites, so I don't get the hate. :p The main complaint I got about design choices is the god awful Sonic 3 mini boss, and invincibility themes. Also I downloaded a more stable release and played it on actual hardware. I didn't notice too many bugs, but I also didn't play it for too long. (I played up until Labyrinth Act 3 as Knuckles and Tails.) I'm really hoping Esrael will take others advice on adding new bosses to the extra Sonic 2 levels at some point after he polishes as many bugs as possible.

6. LavenderFields

LavenderFields Newcomer Trialist

I think Hidden Palace will receive a new boss, the layout of act 2 has been changed on the last building (v0.38) and in the boss area, an organ has been added, just like in Sonic 2 2013 release.

7. Tanman Tanner

Tanman Tanner Well-Known Member Member

If I recall correctly, doesn't Esrael still use sound driver swapping in Sonic Delta? That alone is impressive, but at the same time easily solvable by using a single sound driver that can do it all.

ProjectFM and kenny0989 like this.
  8. Chaos Hedgie

Chaos Hedgie I'm 30 years old, with a OC. You'll live. Member

Was impressed when it came out. Saw a playthrough on Youtube and I noticed the bugs. I get Stephen UK's sentiment that we're now 20 years in the game, and a lot of these bugs seem very elementary compared to the 2000s (still hard to believe my teenage years were two decades ago. Christ where did the time go).

But I'm still impressed that he's shown the possibility of cramming all of the Sonic Trilogy's zones in one ROM. Now we just need the bugs polished and someone to add cutscenes and transitions to all of this...

ProjectFM likes this.