Sonic 3: D.A. Garden Edition - Source Code and Sonic 3 A.I.R port

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by D.A. Garden, May 31, 2020.

1. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

[​IMG]
    Remember this? So, it's been 4 years and 7 months since I released Sonic 3: D.A. Garden Edition to the world. It won the Green Hill Trophy and the Lava Reef trophies in the Sonic Hacking Contest 2013, and both the Lava Reef trophy and the Lava Reef Community trophy in the Sonic Hacking Contest 2015 on its release. And while it completed the goal of being a fully fledged ROM hack of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, it is now but a previous project of mine that comes up from time to time. I look back on it fondly, but I've moved on, and so have many people in the community...

Until recently, that is. With the release of Sonic 3: Angel Island Revisited, I've been swamped with requests to create a mod for the project that would see Sonic 3: D.A. Garden Edition re-imagined in wide screen and with all the bells and whistles that come with it. Now, I have no interest in sitting down and learning a new coding language and converting things across to this new format, and I certainly don't have the time either.

And so, I've come up with the only thing I think that will satisfy those who have asked, and also be an interesting development for some: I'm going to release the source code to Sonic 3: D.A. Garden Edition. If you want to create a mod yourself using this as a basis, go ahead. If you want to build on top of this and make something new, I'm all for it. Basically, use this as you see fit, so long as you mention that you've used it. That's all I ask. Have fun.

Technical Note: This is the source of Version 1.02a, which fixed quite a few initial issues on release.
    Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7fmywc75ne4zrd/Version 1.02a - 05-2016.zip?dl=0

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  2. D.A. Garden

Double post, but I feel as if it warrants one. Thorn has ported the entire hack to Sonic 3 A.I.R. A quote from Sonic Retro:
    As a result, I've updated the thread title, and quoted Thorn here, so as to ensure that no-one here misses it. Enjoy.

3. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

The Dropbox link is broken.

4. D.A. Garden

Huh. It seems dropbox dropped the link. How bizarre. I've created another one that I can confirm works:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/14brgvzudpjfjql/Version 1.02a - 05-2016.zip?dl=0

Also, while I'm here, I would just like to point out that Thorn has been working a mod for Sonic 3 A.I.R for quite some time now. The base ROM hack has been ported, and various extra features and bug fixes have been added along the way. You can check it out here if you're interested:
    https://www.gamebanana.com/maps/210278

KCEXE, DeltaWooloo and ProjectFM like this.
  5. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Dropbox has a bad tendency to invalidate old links. And even when they do work, dropbox will also limit traffic, and disable download links if too many people are using them. I had to switch off using dropbox as my primary file sharing site a while ago, it doesn't seem to have been made with this kind of file sharing in mind...