Sega Music Collection: Sonic the Hedgehog Remake

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Sleekflash-16, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Sleekflash-16

Sleekflash-16 Also known as Original Chris Member

As the name suggests, this project attempts to recreate one of the lost Sega Music Collection ROMs. More specifically, the one that contains different sounding music from Sonic the Hedgehog. This was made using Mega Drive VGM Player by Dead Fish Software. Just like the original software seen in footage, this remake contains the Sega Music Collection title screen music as well as recreations of possibly early versions of the Green Hill Zone, Special Stage, and Spring Yard Zone songs. I thought this would be a simple way to breathe new life into lost media.

How to use:
    D-Pad - Change between tracks
    Start - Does nothing
    A - Does nothing
    B - Stop music
    C - Play/Restart music

Team:
    • Graphics: The Original Gamer 123
    • Modified Sonic 1 tracks: MCTravisYT & MrLordSith
    Screenshots:
    SMC S1 TITLE SSRG V1.6.png BGM1 SSRG.png
    BGM2 SSRG.png BGM3 SSRG.png

Updates:
    V1.1 Update info: Fixed positions of the BGM select screens.
    V1.2 Update info: Music Collection text and Sega logo have been edited to look more accurate.
    V1.3 Update info: The glowing underline of the Music Collection text has been slightly altered. The bottom Sonic the Hedgehog text has been repositioned. The glowing border of the Sega logo was given more detail.
    V1.4 Update info: The glowing Sega border shading is fixed.
    V1.5 Update info: Improved the Sega border once again. This might be the final update.
    V1.6 Update info: BGM 2 and BGM 3 have been updated thanks to MrLordSith.
    V2.0 Update info: All tracks now loop infinitely!
    Here's the ROM file. Enjoy! Feel free to give any feedback.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  2. Sleekflash-16

ProjectFM and Angel X like this.
  3. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

I didn't know of the existence of this collection.
    I think I have already said this, but I repeat, the more I stay in this forum, the more I discover new things:D
    Speaking of the rom , perfect remake;)

4. Sleekflash-16

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I tried making this as accurate as I could possibly get it. I plan on updating this frequently to make it even better.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  5. Sleekflash-16

The remake is now at version 1.2. Things have changed since the first release and it should look way more accurate than before. Feel free to compare it to the original footage and give any feedback.
    Update: Now it's at version 1.3. From now on, I'll display new updates in the original post so I won't have to constantly reply just to do that.

6. Sleekflash-16

I just tested the latest version of the remake (V1.4) on my Sega Genesis Model 1 using the Mega Everdrive X3. And I have to say, even through the composite signal on a flat screen, it looks amazing! I think the glowing border around the Sega logo could use a bit more shading though. 20201217_171236.jpg

Angel X and ProjectFM like this.
  7. Sleekflash-16

I think I can now safely say that this remake is complete. I'm pretty satisfied with how it came out. Unless anyone has suggestions, I'll leave V1.5 as the final version.

8. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

The composite signal makes it even more fascinating!

Sleekflash-16 likes this.
  9. Sleekflash-16

Here's a direct capture of the Sega Music Collection: Sonic the Hedgehog Remake running on my Sega Genesis Model 1 using the Mega Everdrive X3. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  10. Stdh

Stdh Active Member Member

this is like 100% accurate to me great job!

PikaNoob and Sleekflash-16 like this.
  11. Sleekflash-16

MrLordSith has become part of the team, providing new versions of BGM 2 and BGM 3! The remake will be updated to version 1.6 soon. Stay tuned!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    MrLordSith likes this.
  12. Sleekflash-16

The remake has been updated to V1.6! This is the final update, as it is just about perfect now. This is also my last message as a trialist. Thank you all so much for supporting me along the way. Working on this was a lot of fun. ^_^

13. Sleekflash-16

Now that the remake has been completed, I think it would make sense to show the finished product running on real hardware. Like last time, I used a Genesis Model 1 and a Mega Everdrive X3. I also bought a Sega Nomad which is coming in later today, so I'll post a picture of the remake running on that once it arrives. That is, if it does work on the Nomad. Stay tuned!

14. Sleekflash-16

Sorry for the delay. The Nomad arrived later than expected. Anyway, here's the Sega Music Collection: Sonic the Hedgehog Remake running on the Sega Nomad! Don't worry, I replaced the batteries after taking this picture.
    20210217_164705.jpg

PikaNoob, Angel X and MrLordSith like this.
  15. Sleekflash-16

Ever wondered what this remake looks like on a 1988 portable color CRT TV? Well, here you go!
    20210406_073745.jpg

20210406_073729.jpg

MrLordSith, Angel X, Stdh and 3 others like this.
  16. Sleekflash-16

I know I said I was done with this, but I'm a sucker. In previous versions of this remake, the 3 tracks would stop at one point and move to the next. This was the only thing about the remake that I didn't like since the real deal didn't do that. Speaking of which, I have great news. I found a way to get all the songs to loop infinitely in Mega Drive VGM Player! The songs no longer change automatically. This dramatic improvement has brought the remake to version 2.0. Enjoy! :D

MrLordSith and JGamer2151 like this.