Sonic 1 Delta - SSRG Demo release

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by MrLordSith, Jun 5, 2020.

1. MrLordSith

MrLordSith Has an obsession with Sonic 1 Alpha Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sonic 1 Delta is a project that began development in 2017. After a long development period including a “complete restart” of the hack, here's a demo for SSRG by Team Delta.
    This hack is made to mix features from Sonic 1's development and the REV00 build of the game, and also improves upon them. It features things like the early bright Green Hill Zone background, new sprites for Sonic, etc. The music has changed, too.

This demo only has GHZ as there isn't much progress for other zones (at the moment, Spring Yard Zone is the most finished and it's not that playable), so I've "disabled" all zones except for Green Hill.
    This is really early in development, so expect most features to either be changed or some be removed.

CREDITS
    Programming: MrLordSith
    Art changes: EmmaNerd and MrLordSith
    Level layout: EmmaNerd and MrLordSith
    Music changes: MrLordSith
    Beta testing: The Original Gamer 123, asdfg303, BladeOfChaos, Chobo, facey, ItsJacksJunk⁶⁴, SM
    (And also the tutorials for Sonic Retro, credits for each person who made them since I've used these for this hack and S1smps2asm by Cinossu)

This is the very first time I release a hack here, so I'm very sorry if the description for the hack isn't the best!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

The thing that's surprised me the most about this hack, is the amount of effort I can clearly see. It's still quite behind, but for your first project guys, not bad!

Specifically and most importantly in my opinion, the layouts. While there are a few instances of dick moves and a few instances where I got somewhat confused/lost, or the flow broke too quickly. In terms of visuals I thought the chunks and the objects were placed quite nicely, they looked as though they fit, nothing seemed majorly off, and all around things made sense. If you are able to reconstruct the layout so that the game-play itself (the flow) isn't broken so much, I think you guys could very well become experts in the field of Sonic layouts. You've got the visual side nailed down, you just need to refine the game-play side of things in my opinion.

I noticed the FG sprites such as the rock and the palm tree, nice touch and hint to the beta there~ Though, the priority seems wrong, if you'd like some help rectifying that then feel free to PM me, I don't mind offering one freebie to this.

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

This is a neat start, and I don't have too much to add to what was said above. I will say that I quite like Act 3's sunset palette! Eggman takes too many hits to defeat in my opinion (around 18-20? I lost count, but it was certainly much more than the standard 8). Given how basic the GHZ boss is, this just emphasizes its repetitiveness (I should note though, that this is somewhat mitigated by the apparent ability to bounce on Eggman 4-5 times at once though, so it may work if you intentionally coded it this way, but I digress). But yeah, some of the bottomless pits in Green Hill seem out of place, and very not well telegraphed. But again, good start! I'm curious to see what you've all done with the other levels.

Ravenfreak and ProjectFM like this.
  4. RouRouRou

RouRouRou Ain't no fun if the aliens can't have none. Member

I think this is a pretty nice start to the hack. Although there are some things that could do with some change.

I can tell that this draws inspiration from Sonic 2 Delta (I mean, it's in the name.), and using beta elements is something I don't see much for Sonic 1 nearly as much as 2.
    I think the use of the pylons from Star Light as the TTS foreground elements was neat and creative. I do think the speed they scroll at could be reduced a bit though.
    I also like the bushes and rocks being used was a nice touch, but the art could be cleaned up a bit and perhaps have a bit more detail.
    The same goes for Sonic's sprites. They're neat if a bit unpolished.
    I don't particularly like the change to the music. I don't know if it's just me, but it felt too loud for my tastes.

Overall I can see a lot of good coming from this, I look forward to seeing where you go with this!

5. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

In my opinion, this is really neat as it takes inspiration from demos and video tapes of the beta. What I'm suggesting for you next update is to see what went unused in Sonic 1 that was from beta and try and add it back in. Also, give a research into the development of the game and see what was added in the beta, what was planned is see if you can try to add everything back in. Overall, good start of jumping into the Delta train with Sonic 2 Delta.

6. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

This hack looks promising! I agree with what TheInvisibleSun said, Eggman takes too many hits to destroy. I think that having extra hits should be only during the final boss fight, but in a hack like this one it's unnecessary. I would love to see the wrecking ball objects in GHZ that appear in one of the beta videos, and even possibly some beta badniks too in the future. Seeing the front facing ballhog in GHZ is a great start though! With the recent footage that was discovered, at least the first Special Stage was revealed and MJ & Master Emerald did a great job reconstructing it, I would love to also see that make an appearance in future builds too! Best of luck to your team, I look forward to future builds. :)

7. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I really like the parallax effect in act 2 and 3 with the rocks and the trees, although I think it can be improved. First of all, the priority should be set and the object priority should be 0 so that it appears in front of everything. Second, It doesn't look right when the foreground scrolls vertically more than the background, but not the objects don't scroll vertically at all. You could make it so you see the entirety of the sprite while Sonic s at the bottom, and the higher up Sonic gets, the less you see of the sprite. Angel Island Zone Act 1 does this, and the effect works really well.

8. MrLordSith

MrLordSith Has an obsession with Sonic 1 Alpha Member

Hi,
    I can't thank you enough for the criticism. Unfortunately, I'm running out of messages as a Trialist, so I've been waiting until now to reply. The team will do it's best to improve things like the layout, fix problems like the foreground objects' priority and the way they move, change the number of hits for the GHZ boss, fix the music (before I released the demo, the music was worse, so I did what I could so it didn't sound as bad for the demo, but don't worry, it's getting changed), and Sonic's sprites have been mostly redone to look better. We're going to be adding more things like the Beta Green Hill Ball and much more. Thank you everyone for the feedback.

9. Sleekflash-16

Sleekflash-16 Also known as Original Chris Member

Ah, this brings back memories. If I recall correctly, I was the only tester with a Mega Everdrive at the time. I made sure this worked on real hardware before release. This also applies to the SHC 2020 demo. I'm glad I was able to help with this.

MrLordSith likes this.