Random hack/Mini project thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DanielHall, May 24, 2010.

1. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

2. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

Pretty neat series, I know a lot of people have a hard time converting the art so to have a step by step guide should help out. I will say though Sonic's 2nd rolling animation is used, it's for when you're rolling at higher speeds, kind of like a walk to a run. It's weird and difficult to notice.

ProjectFM likes this.
  3. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

Very well detailed, Clowancy. It's glad that we have someone that can show us how to port the art from Sonic 1 to 3 very clearly. Most people would either rip the art from Sonic Hacking Studio or make Sonic 3 styled Sonic 1 sprites or ported the art their way. I did add Sonic 3 sprites into my hack like this:

In my hack, I ported the art and the palettes using PaletteConverter and then used Flex2 to convert the mappings and did the animations myself. To sort out the issue with Sonic's angle, I copied the code of Sonic_Animate from Sonic 2 to 1. I also added QueueDMATransfer and extended the art and map limits since Sonic 1 has it. :confused:

It's easy but not as complete as your tutorials. Keep it up, sir! :)

4. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

Attached Files:

5. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

Tried to see if that old PlaySega level builder zone could fit into Sonic 1.

[​IMG]

It's not worth releasing the ROM at this point as this is literally all there is to the level. Two level chunks and the BG used almost all the vram space (the tree alone uses over 100 tiles). Probably would have to be completely redrawn.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Misinko, Pokepunch, Angel X and 9 others like this.
  6. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

It's a bit cloudy with a chance of monsoon in South Island today...

ghzrain.gif
    Welcome to Sonic 1 Flash Flood!

In this challenge mini-hack, stages fill with water at random intervals. Can you make it through to the end?

To aid you in your quest, there are goggles monitors (with unlimited air) strewn about here and there.

Screenshots:
    SLZ Rain.PNG
    SYZ Water.PNG
    Level Select code is unchanged, so feel free to try any level. I plan to update this with some new features and more bug fixes in the far future, but I'm moving on from it for now. Still, comments, feedback and bug reports are greatly appreciated.

Special Thanks to KingofHarts for Sonic Triad, snkenjoi for Flex 2, MainMemory for SonLVL, and JoenickROS.

Enjoy!

Download Alpha

7. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

TheInvisibleSun likes this.
  8. jubbalub

jubbalub Mania fanboy Member

I'm not sure if this quite counts as a random hack, but I've been sitting on this for a while and am deciding, I'm not going to finish this anyway so I might as well put it out there.

This is an unfinished version Untitled Sonic 1 Hack, circa late 2017, with a ton of changes from the SHC2016 version. It's technically playable from start to finish, but some bits are very buggy. Have a look if you're curious, because I will probably never work on it again.

Attached Files:

Kurk, ProjectFM and DeltaWooloo like this.
  9. Angel X

Don't worry, in any case we are very few.
    In this forum we are a protected species XD

10. Giovanni

Giovanni It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

This is part of a bigger project of mine that aims to improve Sonic 2's Co-op mode. One addition I decided to make was to implement a radar that tracks down Tails while he's offscreen (kind of like in Sonic 3 A.I.R.'s Co-op mode).
    However, since this is the first time I create an object from scratch, and since I'm very proud of how it turned out, I decided to release this as its own thing.
    At the bottom, you will find the downloadable ROM, plus a gameplay video of mine where I showcase the Radar in action.

There's this one thing that I should note. The radar will disappear the moment you land the last hit on a boss. This is an intentional decision, as it prevents some VRAM issues without moving the capsule's VRAM (and even then, I'm not exactly sure of where to place it). Plus, do you really need a radar to not lose Tails after a boss?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  11. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Hello, I've made a hack of S3K with the goal of making it just feel awful to play in every possible way, while still being completely playable. I call it, Cursed S3K.
    [​IMG]
    Features:
    • Added speed cap from S1 on ground and in air.
    • Disabled slope physics.
    • Made it so you can stand on walls and ceilings.
    • Made charging the spin dash slow you down.
    • Made it so you always have the full jump height, regardless of whether you're holding the button.
    • Made it so 32 rings spill out of you every time you get hit, and made them not interact with the level or you. Can be buggy, will fix later.
    • Made the bubble shield bounce move just stop you in the air when you initiate it.
    • Cut the fire dash speed.
    • Cut the height you get from the double jump.
    • Cut the hyper dash speed.
    • Made it so Tails moves up instantly when you press the button while flying.
    • Made it so Knuckles turns instantly when gliding.
    • Made the Special Stage start at a higher speed.
    • Removed the speed check for running on water in HCZ.
    • More to come...

12. VAdaPEGA

VAdaPEGA whom belongs the red cat, complaints appreciated Member

13. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I wanted to see just how close the S1 proto is to the final version in terms of main movement logic. Or in other words, how simple it would be to extend its functionality like you would in a regular S1 hack.

That being said, have a Sonic 1 Beta with a fully functional Homing Attack!

Bottom line: The physics subroutines are pretty much 95% identical to the final version, minus a few special cases that weren't addressed here and there. I had to remove the speed cap and boundary_bottom kill trigger for obvious reasons though.

Attached Files:

14. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

As I said before, the prototype of Sonic 1 uses a modified Golden Axe 2 sound driver. So what did I do? Tested it's functionality. Play sound $84 to take a listen.

Attached Files:

• out.md
      File size:
      511.7 KB
      Views:
  15. VladJester2001

VladJester2001 Newcomer Member

2 years later... no new release? no new version? no news about my hack? and no update?
    Well, I guess publish my unfinished hack due my canceles from 2019 if I not shared long time. You can search link to download my latest build on my unoffical site.
    https://vladjester2001.wixsite.com/s1nrandtmr20162019

Maybe will be some like it or not, but I won't return to fix and developing Sonic 1 TMR.
    Enjoy!

RandomName and DeltaWooloo like this.
  16. PikaNoob

PikaNoob Newcomer Trialist

This is my random shitpost hack that I made for fun called 'Sonic Poopy' the childish title of this hack says it all.
    EDIT: REV01 of this hack has existed since earlier this year and I kind of don't want to see the old version floating around ever again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    Funi Ignign0kt, Stdh and ProjectFM like this.
  17. Stdh

Stdh Active Member Member

oh boy

Funi Ignign0kt likes this.
  18. Kurk

Kurk Oh Yeah Member

I lol'd at the Mr. Krabs crabmeat. Otherwise, it's kinda boring for a "shitpost hack".

PikaNoob likes this.
  19. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Short responses like this are generally frowned upon as they're usually not constructive. Please keep this in mind going forward.

Stdh likes this.
  20. Angel X

I don't know if I'm in the right place for this type of post, if not, I'll delete it.
    Do you know Rayman Redemption?
    Is a reimagining of Rayman 1 and adds tons of content!
    Do I recommend it?
    Of course yes!
    Trust me, you won't regret playing this game, even if you haven't played the original.
    After some time, the author of Rayman Redemption releases another game, Rayman ReDesigner.
    In this fangame you can create your own levels, like in Mario Maker.
    After all this talk you will ask me, what does all this have to do with soinc?
    With this editor I recreated Green Hill Zone Act 2!
    I wanted to take a picture to make a comparison, but it wouldn't come out well.
    To play at my level, you will get more information by reading Rayman ReDesigner's README.
    If you don't know how to play the first Rayman,
    Rayman Redemption is a excellent start.

The links to download the games are:
    Rayman Redemption:https://gamejolt.com/games/raymanredemption/340532
    Rayman ReDesigner:https://gamejolt.com/games/Rayman_ReDesigner/539216

I hope you like my level :)

EDIT:
    Problem solved.
    If you want to create a level I recommend you follow these tips:
    "Make sure to run the game as an admin. Try saving right next to the exe, or AppData/Local/RaymanReDesigner."-Ryemanni

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021