trying to make a sonic 1 pause screen

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Stdh, May 19, 2021.

1. Stdh

Stdh Active Member Member

so i have this idea for a pause screen in sonic 1
    and i have some code ive made for it

Code:
            moveq    #6,d0        ; load pause mappings (final zone for testing)
            moveq    #$B,d2        ; use "FINAL" mappings
    this is in loc_13BE:
    tho it ill not show up
    any idea to make it work?

2. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

First, you shouldn't create new post always apart for ask a help. Second, I guess is not good show your "idea", this mistake happened earlier, and third, this is a short question, post the next time in "Basic Questions & Answers thread, please. Don't show your idea, since that, you published content of yours, it would not make sense, you must keep your ideas hidden and you must be reserved, when you ask for help again, do not say that it is your idea, just ask the question and you will be helped.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  3. Inferno

Inferno Rom Hacker Member

.... are you trying to make the title card work as a pause screen? You'd have to actually reload the object then, and change it's code to stay on screen until unpaused if game is paused. You'd also have to allow it to run whilst the game is paused.

4. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

I don't want to sound like a dick, but that's not helping. Stdh kindly wanted to ask why the paused screen didn't work, and he didn't do any harm.

As for the question, I don't think just loading the mappings would make it work. Rather than loading the title card art, I'd advise learning to learn by making new objects. Take a look at this, and hopefully, you should get a bright idea of how to load in the art. Doing so will give you an extensive list of features for your pause screen as a menu to restart the level or quit. The more you work with it, the more confident you would feel.

Deactivated Account and Pacca like this.
  5. Stdh

Stdh Active Member Member

sorta im trying to get the art of the title card loaded with a pause message
    that's why im using the final zone title card as a test

Deactivated Account likes this.
  6. Deactivated Account

Yes, he asked kindly, I know, but I think is not good to publish "Idea", because you know what's happened with that in the past. And Sthd, remember to ask there the next time ☺.

7. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Making a pause screen is actually a rather complicated thing to do. It's not too difficult if you know what your doing, but I'd advise against trying to make one as a beginner. It might be best to put a pin in that idea, and focus on learning the basics of how objects (sonic, enemies, moving platforms, etc.)work. Once you know how to make custom objects that can display themselves, have an understanding of how they work, and know why they stop moving when the game is paused, then I'd suggest tackling the creation of a pause menu.
    For now, try tweaking badniks, adding player abilities, and when your up to it, making your own objects. I've been planning on making a comprehensive guide on it, as there is quite a lot to learn there, but working with object behavior can be a lot of fun, even if your just starting out.

MrLordSith, ProjectFM, Stdh and 2 others like this.
  8. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

I get that there might be a shortage of moderators at the moment, but no need to backseat mod. Use the report function if there's an issue, thanks.

9. Deactivated Account

My apologies, I will not make again. Yes, I will use them.