Sonic 1 World

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by SuperSayian Zrise, May 24, 2021.

?

Is this good as it is?

Poll closed Aug 24, 2021.
  1. YES! (its fine/pefect

4.0%
  2. NO! (needs more work)

88.0%
  3. Maybe.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Your Choice.

8.0%
  1. SuperSayian Zrise

SuperSayian Zrise Well-Known Member Exiled

I'm working on this hack called Sonic 1 World. I plan to do more with it but there isn't much finished besides the first level. Also there is a bit of the second level and I recommend you DONT play that until finished. no story or whatever and here's the screenshots:
    act1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ACT2:
    [​IMG]
    That's it for now I will work on this later.

2. SuperSayian Zrise

Download.(because I forgot it) :

Attached Files:

3. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I don't think there's enough content here to warrant a release. I like where you're going with the palette, though Sonic's palette suffers from inverting the shading by making the light parts dark, and that pretty much never looks good unless you edit the art to accommodate it. For the level design, however, there is only literally 20 seconds of gameplay before it turns into the original level design. I'm sure everyone here would agree that you should be clearing the layout and object positions before you create a level, and working off of the original level design will only result in either extra work deleting stuff or limiting yourself. What level design there is lacks in flow. There is a constant starting and stopping and the player never gets a chance to develop speed, which isn't very fun. Death pits so early into the game isn't recommended either. Multiple paths would be a good thing to work on adding. Overall, this deserves a bit more time in the oven because there is relatively little here.

4. KaikeKTH

KaikeKTH See you in 6 Months. Trialist

It definitely needs more work. Specially the palettes.
    The level design could've been better but it's not that bad. Seriously, I've seen worse.
    But it still needs work. Take Act 2 as an example, Sonic shouldn't start inside the tunnel.

I really don't have much to say right now, but you could try getting some inspiration from some other hacks.

SuperSayian Zrise and Stdh like this.
  5. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

It makes no sense to not recommended someone to not play a game. If you don't want people to play your hack, then don't upload it.

As for the hack, ProjectFM stated a lot however, I should also remind you of the important areas that needs improving. First off, the palette to the zone is average at best. I feel like it focuses too much on darkness. Sonic's palette is too dark and it seems that you got rid of all the light shades. In fact, you got rid of every bright colour which doesn't look that well overall; feels like liveliness sucked itself out in the zone.

The level design is well, incomplete. As ProjectFM stated, it's best to clear out the layout and objects and make unique level design which, yes it takes a lot of patience and work, but a lot is done regarding progress.

At the end of the day, you should prioritise the hack with palettes and level design. Overtime, you can learn to be more extensive with ASM hacking and learn a lot through the tools provided and guides to give you support throughout the development of your hack. But so far, it feels pretty empty and doesn't show a whole lot.

Scrap Sorra likes this.
  6. SuperSayian Zrise

I don't like doing that because then I have to place a signpost and then I don't know where to start. Also, I'm more a S3K fan and It's still in work.

7. SuperSayian Zrise

Fair
    QUOTE="DeltaWooloo, post: 86950, member: 6679"]It makes no sense to not recommended someone to not play a game. If you don't want people to play your hack, then don't upload it.

As for the hack, ProjectFM stated a lot however, I should also remind you of the important areas that needs improving. First off, the palette to the zone is average at best. I feel like it focuses too much on darkness. Sonic's palette is too dark and it seems that you got rid of all the light shades. In fact, you got rid of every bright colour which doesn't look that well overall; feels like liveliness sucked itself out in the zone.

The level design is well, incomplete. As ProjectFM stated, it's best to clear out the layout and objects and make unique level design which, yes it takes a lot of patience and work, but a lot is done regarding progress.

At the end of the day, you should prioritise the hack with palettes and level design. Overtime, you can learn to be more extensive with ASM hacking and learn a lot through the tools provided and guides to give you support throughout the development of your hack.[/QUOTE]
    Like I said in my last post about level design.
    Also,I am not willing to learn something that I will forget in the next 30 years or so if unlucky I will forget by tomorrow. (This is what I say when someone brings up programming and me or whatever learning it. Another thing is im not trying to be mean.)

8. Scrap Sorra

Scrap Sorra Well-Known Member Member

Like I said in my last post about level design.
    Also,I am not willing to learn something that I will forget in the next 30 years or so if unlucky I will forget by tomorrow. (This is what I say when someone brings up programming and me or whatever learning it. Another thing is im not trying to be mean.)[/QUOTE]

bro why do you care so much about what you're going to remember in 30 years that's about the worst excuse I've ever heard for somebody not wanting to learn how to code. I hate to be the one to break it to you but if you're not willing to learn to code you're not going to be able to get very far with hacking.
    "oh but you've released a demo to moderate success and you don't actually know how to code you're being hypocritical"
    yeah well there's only so much I can do without being carried by other people who actually know what they're doing and that's why I haven't put out the final build of sonic sunventure yet because I was going to do an interesting water gimmick for the second zone but idk how to actually code so I can't do it and I might just make the second zone spring yard or something but I'm getting way off topic.
    In conclusion, if you're not willing to improve then why ever bother? It seems kind pointless to half ass something and it only makes you look childish especially when you can't be bothered to use proper grammar.

SuperSayian Zrise likes this.
  9. SuperSayian Zrise

Actually, I do want to improve and then again it doesn't mean I can't make something good out of not knowing something that's considered "simple." Another thing is that I'm still working on the first level and mostly focusing on the levels and palettes instead of all of the coding.
    And learning code is a pain. When I read it first, then do it and then it feels like out of nowhere 100000 build errors at once my eyes cannot capture in time. Then I use a screenshot on windows and realize there is no point of me trying and instead go and do level design or something.

10. DeltaWooloo

Rather than being so negative that you get that amount of errors, at least try and ask us here. I keep recommending this to a lot of newbies, but you should try reading MJ's 68k tutorial and also this to sort out your building errors. You need to have patience rather than keeping that snark up, because that wouldn't get you anywhere at the end.

11. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

SuperSayian Zrise there wasn't a need to double post in such a short amount of time when you could just have used the existing post and edited your existing post. +Quote is also available here.

12. SuperSayian Zrise

sorry. I will make sure not to next time :(
    Thanks for the help. :)

13. SuperSayian Zrise

I'm back better than ever with Sonic 1 World!!! :)
    Sorry for the big bump.
    10:00 PM - 6/12/2021 SAT:
    Welcome to the second release of sonic 1 world
    *cookin' up: This is WAY better than the original I promise you. New level designs. (GHZ1 only)
    NEW PALETTES! (for some levels) A spindash + new sonic palette. A suprise for SYZ (yes whole zone)
    and a special easter egg... can you find him if you do post a screenshot of him.
    10:13 PM - 6/12/2021 SAT:
    Do you see that folder named "S1ctg"? well thats the source code and your allowed to use it to your hearts content. :)
    same goes for v1 which had its source code packed in it to with a different folder name.
    this applys to ALL versions of the hack. which means you are allowed to use the source code for all versions of this hack.
    https://i.imgur.com/GgclvnZ.png

Attached Files:

14. DeltaWooloo

I still think the hack is unpolished and I'm sorry to be rude but once again, this still does not deserve to be released at this time. First off, can I take a look at the start of the level?
    wqq324.PNG
    Look at the things I highlighted. Firstly, the first chunk Sonic starts with is meant to be for the breakable blocks (Object 3C). Not to mention the motobug coming down spawns near Sonic's starting position allowing you to die without moving. I also highlighted that you missed a wall barrier (obj44). If we go to the top, I don't think these rings are necessary to be condensed, in fact...
    4234234.PNG
    This doesn't look right and makes the level far easier than expected with its plain level structure. And to bring my second point, this new level design change feels empty and is more of a "Straight-Line Zone" than the typical GHZ I see with obstacles everywhere and an area to build up speed. This surprise for SYZ is basically the Sparkling Zone's background with no palette cycle and corrupt art for some objects. Also, I don't appreciate that Sonic goes faster than expected. I'm used to slow Sonic in Sonic 1 as my mind reacts to concise reaction times but doing so won't make the player realise that they will either die or get hit due to the increased speed.

Another thing I need to discuss is the controls for the spindash doesn't feel right, rather than letting go off the down button to move, it's the C button. Not to mention I cannot rev it up and it doesn't kill enemies whilst Sonic is using the rolling animation. Now I see you only used part 1 of SCHG: How to add spindash to Sonic 1, but it doesn't mean it's complete. There's still work to do such as including the art, fixing the code, dust and its sound. But at the same time, I ask for Sonic 1 level design, is the spindash worth it? I see people add it with no purpose of making the player use the spindash. Unless you made your levels where the spindash is necessary, then use it. But at the end, I can live without extra moves.

Overall, please, PLEASE, try and get the rest of the levels done. In fact, try and make your next update with one zone complete at the bare minimum and make sure to update your level design by sorting out object placement and chunks. You got a long way to go and I advise you work hard on it and also, please sort out the palettes. They still don't look right one revision later. All I'm saying is, you got a long way to go...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  15. Speems

Speems Well-Known Member Member

What the hell was wrong with the Sega sound?! It was almost deafening in a way, despite the source code suggesting it would be fine. Speaking of which, publicly giving away said source code when your hack barely started is a insanely dumb move, especially for a hack that, like I said, feels like it was not even close to finished. Also, the Sparkling implementation looks garbled as hell, it's not just the tiles that need to be imported, there's palettes and other bits that need proper porting. The image below (which is from a Hivebrain disassembly of the final) shows how it should be done when it comes to properly bringing Sparkling Zone into your hack. This may not show much but I can confirm this is a more competent display of bringing said zone in. The Yamagutchi shades of blue are not part of it, but kinda adds to the vibe.
    [​IMG]
    Also I agree how there's no challenge and the level edits literally stop after a few seconds in GHZ 2. Sonic's palette in the hack's better blue-wise but nothing else looks much improved. Still totes not worth releasing a demo at this point with the complete lack of needed changes.

Deactivated Account likes this.
  16. Stdh

Stdh Active Member Member

this hack needs alot of work.
    1. the sega sound is broken there is a tutorial of how to fix that
    2. level design is pretty bad in my opinion some area's feel incomplete.
    3. spring yard zone is just a mess instead of importing the pallete,tiles,blocks and chunks it just was imported via sonlvl (wich is a bad idea)
    4. the spindash is weird you can only use it by pressing c and only once
    and lastly why did you give away the source code? no-one is prob gonna use it anyways.
    overhaul just work longer on the hack.

17. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

I'll be honest with you, I think this is not enough that you have done, you still need to explore the level designs further, objects position, etc, there are things that are not right.
    It is understood that you want to change and improve, but you were wrong to rush to release an update to your game.
    It's okay to demonstrate what you are doing, but my friend, I give you some advice, don't make this mistake again in rushing, it doesn't work this way. There is time to design and study everything about the game, pay attention to those who are advising you, so you will learn to improve and have a good reception.
    You can share your source, but be aware of your decision, meanwhile you don't steal other stuff, this should be good.
    In fact you have to learn much more about this, great advice, try change your mind and learn more about the game system, be curious, think. From now on I hope that you can learn according to your effort, and can always change for the better, good luck.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  18. SuperSayian Zrise

How in the world am I supposed to get the levels done. I would not even be able to complete the first zone if I have to still work on the first act.
    Also, I did NOT use part 1 of that guide I used this guide instead. Also Also, tell me when you were EVER needed to use the spindash in a old sonic game like sonic 2, 3, &K, 3&K, or CD. Yeah its there in the game besides mushroom hill but other than that its just there because its there like 2 and CD it has no purpose in the hack.
    How is it RUSHED?! I took so long filling up that level space for one act.
    you all forgot about the easter egg. And another thing is that when do I get to add the stuff I like and want. Because, if I am not satisfied with it but everyone else likes it that's a problem. One last thing is I don't ever feel like I should finish the spindash guide.

19. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

It takes a long time to work on a hack, try to work patiently and everything will be fine. The same thing happened to me 9 years ago, and I learned just like you, so don't rush to release another update, my friend. :)
    Please, fix that level and put the objects in their corresponding places, common editing bugs are normal for everyone alike. To do that, review the game's original level design again and see how it was developed.
    All assembly codes take time to learn and modify, adding Spindash is not difficult, you should think in cold mode and pay attention to what you are doing.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    SuperSayian Zrise likes this.
  20. DeltaWooloo

Firstly, let me take a look at this quote:

I showed you certain flaws of your level so it's down to you to fix it yourself so speaking to me in a disgraceful manner wasn't necessary. Secondly, regarding the spindash, I didn't need to use it that much, only for certain gimmicks and paths, but other than that, I still don't believe the spindash is worth to use as I believe there are a lot of areas where the spindash is necessary, for Sonic 1, a fair few times but not always. And also, you didn't need to give me an attitude. Sure you made a start to the spindash, but I find your tonal voice to be rude. I advise you push forward and use the SCHG: Spindash gives guides as they are useful and can teach you the basics of ROM hacking alongside studying MJ's 68k page. Thirdly...

I completely disagree with this. I believe when people try to mimic the original level design, they are limiting themselves to what they can create with their ideas and imagination. Not to mention throughout the classic Sonic games, the level design wasn't always perfect, there were some dick moves and irritating pathways. Instead of looking at the game's original design, I recommend reading about these two wonderful guides: One simple but detailed on by Unlimited Trees and this useful one I found on SonicRetro. Even though they quite long, they helped a lot of us regarding Sonic level design. If they don't help, try taking a look at any Sonic hack created by D.A. Garden as his level designs are perfect, everything is nailed in perfectly, besides minor flaws here and there.

Overall, rather than moaning and giving up, try again. Try and take in my advise and push yourself with the spindash guide, try and look at these incredible tutorials and give your hacks a new twist and just be patient. At the moment, that attitude won't get you anywhere.