Sonic 2 Clone Driver v2

Discussion in 'Staff Projects' started by Clownacy, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Cut this shit out, you're still a trialist and you are being watched by the staff whilst you use up your posts to determine if you should get approved later on. Same with the shit posting you and CuckyDev did.

2. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Ahaha... okay, thanks - I thought I'd tested Sonic 1/2 recently enough that no issues could have sneaked-in since, but it looks like I was wrong. You're right that `Size_of_Mega_PCM_guess` should be `Size_of_DAC_driver_guess`, and that the Settings.asm file should define 'SMPS_SoundTest', ideally setting it to 0. v2.8.0.1 should fix these issues. Thanks for the bug report.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking. It should be possible to let songs use dual DAC, but this driver doesn't do that. Currently, the second DAC channel can only be used by DAC SFX.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  3. JGamer2151

JGamer2151 Well-Known Member/Lurker Member

Alright, so on my Sonic 2 Git disassembly that I was testing on, within Settings.asm I inserted a line for SMPS_SoundTest and set it to 0 (as Clownacy mentioned above). I also changed the "Size_of_Mega_PCM_guess" reference to "Size_of_DAC_driver_guess" and adjusted the equate from $296 to $389 when the error said to increase the value up to the latter value. I then built the ROM, and it worked like a charm! Thanks for the help!

Clownacy likes this.
  4. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

Thank you Clownacy, yes, that was I wanted to say, DAC SFX, so I must leave free 1 FM channel to make it works, no?.
    I use MID2SMPS to making my songs, and I wanted to know if is possible make that, thank you sir.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  5. Speems

Speems Well-Known Member Member

That SMPS_SoundTest is indeed part of the errors I got, even when plopping the newest release, although overwriting it with the newer release vanquished those errors. Unfortunately, the SMPS_PauseSoundDriver tidbits don't work for the Sonic 1 Git method at all, even tho that part of the instructions were followed better than the crap in Variables. Also now I get the same Size of DAC guess whatever with the 240 value.

6. Clownacy

You only have to leave FM6: the DAC driver uses 1 FM channel for 2 DAC channels.

Whoops: `SMPS_PauseSoundDriver` and `SMPS_UnpauseSoundDriver` are outdated names for `SMPS_Pause` and `SMPS_Unpause`. I've updated the guide with the proper names, thanks.

7. Speems

Although that's finally taken care of, I still get an error for SIZE_OF_DAC_DRIVER_GUESS with the 240 value. I've tried so many values but none of them worked. I've seen a value work for S2 Git and tried a similar value method but did not work. And now I'm scared that when that finally gets fixed, there'll be a million errors from the other stuff <:/

Deactivated Account likes this.
  8. Clownacy

Doesn't the error tell you what value to set it to? I think the error message still uses the old 'Size_of_Mega_PCM_guess' name, but the value itself should still be valid. $389 should work.

9. Speems

[​IMG]
    Nope, I still get this error. Also, the 393 value (from the driver is this bytes long message) doesn't work either. I even edited that one random file that still uses the Mega PCM thing to instead use the DAC driver text but it doesn't work either.

10. Clownacy

The error message says that the value is double-defined. The problem is that both the driver's 'Settings.asm' and the disassembly's 'Constants.asm' files define a variable called 'Size_of_DAC_driver_guess'. The one in 'Constants.asm' should be deleted. I've updated the guide to mention this.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  11. Deactivated Account

Thank you, another question. Are you planning to add AMS and FMS?. I know Sonic 1 doesn't supports these effects, just I'm curious.

12. Clownacy

Probably not, sorry. I don't know very much about FM, so I don't know how I'd even do that.

13. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I have to wonder, what does your driver do if you attempt to play a DAC sound effect on top of a song which uses 6 FM channels (e.g. Sonic 1's special stage)? Speaking of which, did you fix the 1-UP bug? I'll admit I didn't read the full changelog and I don't plan to ever hack again, but I guess these questions might be useful for other people.

14. Clownacy

...I hadn't thought of that. From the looks of it, the DAC sound effect just won't play if FM6 is enabled. I should be able to do something about that - I've already modified the driver to allow songs to use both FM6 and DAC: when the FM6 track plays a note, DAC is disabled, and when the DAC track plays a sample, FM6 is disabled. That way, songs can use both - just not at the same time. I can make DAC SFX do the same thing. Though, I'd probably need some kind of priority system to prevent new FM6 notes from overriding the DAC SFX.

nineko and Deactivated Account like this.
  15. Deactivated Account

Thank you very much, this is very good, keep it up, I'm trying to make that DAC SFX, wish me good luck.

16. NayTheGamer

NayTheGamer rawr..... Member

I am getting errors that reads:
    > > > Sonic-2-Clone-Driver-v2/Sound IDs.asm(105): error #1000: symbol double defined
    > > > flg__First
    > > > flg__First = idstart

deleting it, gives me even more errors.
    I probably misread the guide.
    I'm using the sonic 1 GitHub Disassembly Rev01

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  17. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

No, this section of the forum is indeed for projects created by staff members, but anyone can comment. Think of it as a privileged showroom of sorts.

Crimson Neo likes this.
  18. NayTheGamer

Question:
    you know the first version of sonic megamix with its edited music aka V0.5, If you had the V2 Clone Driver Installed Then How would you do it in ASM.
    Yes, I know it's kind of is a stupid question.
    But either way it's a good sound driver :D
    EDIT: also, I would like to point out that I'm not a musician, plus I'm not bothered to find software for midi's that require instruments plugged in the computer all at once like I'm not doing that ok.
    Sorry if I sound rude. Because I don't mean it that way.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  19. Nik Pi

Nik Pi Well-Known Member Member

As I know, in Sonic megamix used xm2/3/4smps for convertation tracker music to Sonic 1 smps format. For porting new music in Sonic 2 you just need songs in asm format. For this you can use smps2asm. New smps you can compose in deflemask or VGM music maker or another tracker with sega genesis support, and convert it in smps using VGM2SMPS, or you can take music from smps research pack, and use smps2asm make a .asm music file, and place in your disasm.

JGamer2151 likes this.
  20. NayTheGamer

@Clownacy
    um I found an issue.
    Kega fusion V3.64: Sometimes installing the drive effects the water when entering and corrupts the music slightly
    Blastem + Hardware: Almost the Same But instead of music corruption the game strait crashes.
    I also don't if this is my fault issue or a sound driver issue :/
    here's a screenshot of what I mean
    blastem_20221125_211739.png
    It might be The SSRG Screen Effecting it because when I put in the SSRG Screen i saw 2 errors in (_incobj) which was in 25 & 27 rings asm file and the animals asm file so i don't know :/