My New Sonic Hack: Sonic 1 Sunshine Edition

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Matt, May 10, 2021.

1. Matt

Matt Active Member Member

Hello guys, I'm Matthias and today I want to show you an hack which I'm working on, and it's called Sonic 1 Toy Tokyo Show Alpha Edition (this name isn't confirmed, and it may change). This is the initial release, I don't have any screenshot and it may be incomplete and the only changed zones are GHZ Act 1 and half of Act 2. I will release updates when it's complete

Have a nice day!
    Edit: Updates To GHZ1 and Improvements with Level Design
    Edit: Name has been changed. Now is called Sonic 1 Sunshine Edition. If I can I will finish it and release the final version for the Sonic Hacking Contest 2021

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Deactivated Account likes this.
  2. yami

yami the homing attack addict Member

Okay, while I understand that this is a demo, I'd like for you to iron these out while you're starting out, rather than you finish, and end up with a bunch of things you have to fix, like me.

This is not necessarily bad, but it can be improved. Maybe by either A, moving the rings up a bit, or B, moving the rings to the slope and replacing the inside where the rings are, to the breakable wall objects.
    [​IMG]

Also, I've noticed that you left chunks cut off, as it's shown in the screenshots below.
    This can be fixed by using the aforementioned Wall Barrier object (ID 44 in SonLVL). These are very helpful in making chunks work and look a lot better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also can say that the level design does need a bit of work in places, like the bottomless pits that are in a few places, that you'll run into if you're not paying attention.
    [​IMG]
    Also, directly after that, you're put into a double loop but have no way to build up enough speed to get through to it. I'd say maybe if you're deadset on keeping it in, moving it farther back, otherwise replacing it would probably be your best decision.
    [​IMG]
    One last thing I also noticed, was that you put a lot of spikes in the level, but haven't fixed the spike bug. Though it's not a must, I highly recommend that you apply the fix, because even if you do decide to remove them, it will make the experience for the player much better.

I think the concept of the hack is nice but could use a bit of work. Good luck!

3. Scrap Sorra

Scrap Sorra Well-Known Member Member

This hack needs a lot of improvement
    I can see why no screenshots are included, because people would feel clickbaited if they knew that this hack wasn't actually related to the Tokyo Toy show Sonic 1 prototype and was just Sonic 1 with minor palette changes, a pointless custom chunk, and worse level design.

upload_2021-5-10_13-53-23.png
    like really this wasn't needed at all not to mention how not good it looks

I do have some positives though, I like the slightly changed GHZ blues and sonic's blues look good, however those are the only positives I have for this and while yeah I know this is a demo I also don't care because you thought it'd be a perfectly good idea to release it in this state. I would recommend guides on level design but I don't actually know of any so just look that up I guess but I can give you some tips on level design

• Try to make each act unique, whether that be with a specific gimmick in each act (See Donkey Kong Country for a great example of this) or giving every act a unique setpiece so acts don't blend together and feel samey.
    • Avoid cheap bullshit like bottomless pits that come out of nowhere and are hard avoid *ahem cough cough* or other hazards that players can't see coming. If you must have cheap bullshit I suggest porting the Sonic CD extended camera so players could react quicker.
    upload_2021-5-10_14-5-56.png

• This isn't much of a level design tip per say but if you're going to call it "Sonic 1 Toy Tokyo Show Alpha Edition" oh I don't know maybe have it have some relation to the Tokyo Toy show Sonic 1 than just a name
    • Perhaps have some custom art/proto badniks in there as well

4. Matt

Ok thank you for the feedback, I will fix those issues and I will improve this hack

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  5. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

That chunk must go with breakable wall without rings, collapsing cliff there just no, the original level design was did it for something, follow him and be sure to fix those bugs.

Matt likes this.
  6. Matt

Ok. Thank you

7. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

Hate to sound like a dick, but this does not correlate with the Tokyo Toy Show prototype at all. Have you researched Sonic 1's development at all and studied the changes and content? It only seems like you got a few results of the wrong prototype and thought it was the Tokyo Toy Show prototype. Please take into consideration that altering the palette doesn't effectively make it more of a beta remake. Heck, people didn't realise that Sonic still had the same palette for most of the development. The only reason everyone believed he had a different palette was the footage being taken on camera that didn't match the colour scheme we would see to the naked eye.

As for the hack, well, GHZ's palette is OK. You may want to use the Tokyo Toy Show's background if that is the aim of your hack:
    250px-Sonic1prerelease_tokyots1.jpg

There are recreations all over the internet, and you could give it a go yourself with a bit of patience and practise. It would be best if you also changed Sonic's palette while you at it. Don't be fooled by the taken photos, as the leaked prototype shows that Sonic's palette was the same. People were confused as to if the palette was changed but nope, it was due to the scans being shitty. For reference:
    303px-GD_Sonic_MZ_15.jpg e32423.PNG

I also advise either removing the extended camera or making it an option. If you're focusing on a beta remake, don't add in essentials ported from a different game.

As for level design, as the other 3 of my fellow peeps said above, you need to prioritise object 44 and chunks. Try and make custom chunks so everything can blend it well; extending chunks is a necessity, though. (see here). However, I wouldn't go as far as making custom level design; with a bit of research, you could attempt to recreate the prototype levels.

Overall, please do some research on Sonic 1's development if you want to recreate the Toy Show prototype, or don't name your hack based on a Sonic 1 prototype if you're going to be lenient with your hack. I know I do want to sound harsh, but I don't want the audience to see that this hack isn't based on Sonic 1's development. It doesn't mean I don't like the hack. Even though I agree with what Yami and Scrap Brain said regarding positives and what Mr Joker27 said about level design, you need to be resourceful, resilient and do the best you can. Good luck.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  8. Scrap Sorra

Scrap Sorra Well-Known Member Member

Calling this version an improvement is debatable. First off, the art changes look unfinished and really bad (and Sonic has some transparency issues).
    upload_2021-5-14_9-47-8.png
    While the level design is cleaned up in some places it's really sloppy and feels like you more so put duct tape on the original hack then took a sharpie and drew on it a bit and didn't change glaring issues like this.
    upload_2021-5-14_9-47-16.png
    If you have to double stack the bridge object maybe you should realize that you should change that chunk to something that'd be more natural.
    upload_2021-5-14_9-47-51.png
    Have you heard of Object 3C, otherwise known as the breakable wall? It also has 2 other subtypes, one for the middle walls and one for the end wall. Also that chunk connecting is horrid. Try making a custom chunk if none of the other GHZ chunks will get a clean transition.
    upload_2021-5-14_9-48-44.png

Once again, the spike helix bridge doesn't have the spike helix on it. I don't think you realized that the spikes are a separate object you have to place, although I'd recommend removing it from that position and using a bridge over a waterfall chunk instead.
    The Robotnik monitor is buggy as fuck and doesn't work properly. When broken, damage isn't applied properly and all controls are locked from the player.
    I do have 2 positives, I like the music in GHZ it sounds nice and I like the inclusion of the extended camera.
    The decision to change the enemy destroyed sound to the general explosion sound is so cursed and I absolutely hate it although that's more down to preference.
    If you want an example of good level design not to try to sound egotistical but try taking a closer look at how I designed GHZ 1 in Sonic Sunventure, you might learn something from it, or hell, go look at the original GHZ level layout to get some idea of how to design a level (although I wouldn't use the rest of Sonic 1 as reference material except SBZ)
    upload_2021-5-14_10-15-5.png
    overall it still needs major improvement/10

Attached Files:

ProjectFM likes this.
  9. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

While I agree that the name change was a great choice, I wouldn't recommend rushing for the hacking contest. The deadline for the contest is less than four months, and from what we have seen regarding the ROM hack, you've got a lot of work to reach its standards. I forgot to mention and you added LuigiXHero's ports without crediting him. Sure, you can put it in the expo, but you shouldn't want to stress yourself by limiting yourself with time.

I advise you don't worry about releasing the hack to the contest. For now, focus on learning the basics of 68k and Sonic hacking in general. We, as a community, aren't a fan of half-baked ideas, and it seems like you rushed it too quickly and hope a lot of people are enthusiastic about it. Try not to stress yourself that much and learn from people deemed 'well-known' in the hacking community. Take this from someone passionate about putting their work in the contest as quickly as possible. If you see that minimum changes have been made, there's always next year or the year after you realised that you learned through your past self and created something incredible. If you secure yourself in that position, you will do a lot better. Just focus and don't overwhelm yourself.

Edit: fixing horrible grammar

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  10. Candy_TheCat

Candy_TheCat CandyTehRat Member

Hmm... well the palletes not good on my eyes, maybe because the tiles on the chunks??? The idle's eyes and outline is transparent for some reason. And the robotnik monitors makes Sonic impossible to move after hitting it.

11. Ronald Rose

Ronald Rose Newcomer In Limbo

If this is going to be a sunshine inspired hack, Sonic should wear some sunglasses.

Matt likes this.
  12. Matt

Yeah, you're right.