Random hack/Mini project thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DanielHall, May 24, 2010.

1. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

Yes, unless you are near a signpost or at a boss. It does something a bit...different during Sky Chase.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  2. badnest

badnest Newcomer Member

This is not entirely true. NTSC signals (and PAL-M, for that matter) are made up of 525 interlaced lines. Some of those are used for blanking and whatelse, but there's still 480 lines left for video.

What happens is that analog TVs don't have pixels, they just draw scanlines from left to right at whichever point on the screen they want to, basically (contrary to popular belief, scanlines are the drawn lines, not the black lines inbetween). Depending on power fluctuations, those scanlines could be drawn further or closer apart from each other, resulting in increased or decreased vertical picture size. To prevent you from seeing the end of the picture if the height temporarily decreased slightly, TV manufactures calibrated the sets so only around 448 lines were seen onscreen, while the rest is drawn outside of the CRT's visible area (overscan).

Console manufacturers used a technique that, to simplify, turned the 480 lines at 60 half frames per second video signal into 240 lines at 60 full frames per second. But since only 224 lines would be visible on most TVs, most video games consoles up to the 2000s only had an active video resolution of 224/448 lines because anything more would be a waste of resources.

If you manually decrease the width on a NTSC TV, you'd see the overscanned lines without any problem back when 4:3 TV broadcasts were a thing. I believe you'd also see a Mega Drive drawing all the 240 lines, but it only draws a single color on the other lines besides the main 224. Kinda like how it normally looks on a PAL system/TV.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  3. Techokami

Techokami For use only on NTSC Genesis Systems. Member

[​IMG] Wow this thread took a dark turn. Lemme throw something together to clear out the bad mojo.

[​IMG]
    So this dude on the deviantArts took one of my sprite rips from long ago and made some really good refreshed sprites. So I put as many of them into Sonic 2 SMS as I possibly could! I didn't bother with any compressed graphics because [​IMG] but I did take the time to make all the stage ring graphics properly set up. Even drew in the rain particles for the rings in Sky High Zone Act 2! I also had to change the use of the sign graphics; the un-spun sign had tiles that were shared with the ring sign, so I made a ? sign for un-spun version and kept things a bit more like they were in the original game. I also didn't do the rotated walking sprites for the loops, because Aburtos skipped doing those as well.
    If I had a better means of working with the compressed graphics I'd implement the rest of this sheet, and even properly do the monitors, but for now here's something quick and dirty.
    Download it! Obviously credit goes to Aburtos for the new graphics.

4. ExtremeBehavior

ExtremeBehavior Indefinitely inactive Member

I know your previous Enhanced Spindash hack by watching Razor and Zenon's gameplay of it on YouTube and I played both of your Enhanced Spindash hacks, and I done a short gameplay video.

And I was disappointed after seeing that the Enhanced Spindash on Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was the effect of Teleporter Monitor which places Sonic back into the starting point everytime he spindashes. :(

But at least that was the quick way to beat Sonic 1 (but come with a cost)

And anyways, I also uploaded my gameplay video at some (legal) video website, as I also have an account there. But please note that the website isn't on ENGLISH language, but I won't tell you the name of that website, so good luck guessing it yourself. (But I'm so sorry for speaking like that)

Video thumbnail originally was "Sonic's Nightmare" made by Sonjamsn40 on DeviantArt and was modified by me using MS Paint

... and anyways, unfortunately that I decide to cancel my Sonic the Hedgehog 2 hack project (already have my private Sonic 2 Hack projects canceled a few years ago) but instead I've done another Sonic 1 hack. It was probably completed, but I won't release it sooner. I'll decide to think about the release date.

And also, I used up all my ten posts as a Trialist and currently waiting for approval to be Newcomer and being able to post again. But I think I'll return here later once I was approved. And SSRG Forums was a fun and great place too.

And anyways, good bye. Hope we'll meet again sometimes. ;)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    Matt likes this.
  5. Jdpense

Jdpense Custom Title Member

Description

So from last year to my surprise, a good number people actually played this hack and it received some attention from last year, which in turn, gave a me a semi-motive to continue to update this small side-project one last time. Aside from the updating the physics and the partner AI slightly, I also created from scratch a holding mechanic to carry your partner, like from Knuckles Chaotix, which hopefully should slightly improve the chaotic experience. Now this is the finale update to this project, and the last time I ever do anything like this ever again. From now on, I seek to develop something and place more effort into something original, since that's what people are generally more interested in.

Note: Just to clarify, I created the physics and holding mechanic from scratch, they were not ported over. I feel like I need to address this, because I always see people make assumptions about my projects that features were "just ported over", but this is not that case.

Tools Used
    - SonMapED
    - JMan's Sonic 1 Sound Compressor
    - Sonic 2 2007 disassembly

Credits and Special Thanks
    - Xenowhirl for SonMapEd and Sonic 2 2007 disassembly
    - Jman for his Sonic 1 Sound Compressor
    - ValleyBell for the SFX and Music Rips from Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix
    - Techokami and Doc Melonhead for the Sonic 3 and Knuckles custom monitor expansion sprite sheet from Spriter's Resource

Assets from other games
    - Sonic's main sprites from Sonic 1 and Sonic CD
    - Drums from Chaotix
    - Hud art and Jump sfx from Sonic CD
    - Pause Icon art from Sonic Crackers

Download

ProjectFM and TheInvisibleSun like this.
  6. yami

yami the homing attack addict Member

Okay, so I'm not sure when I'll finish this honestly, but I figured I might as well drop what I have right now so it won't be lost forever in case I do stop working on it.
    Sonic Eternity (might be renamed I don't know)
    This isn't finished, this is a demo release if you can even call it that.

Only the first zone is in a semi-finished state, however the other levels are still available in Level Select.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will say, I haven't been able to get the SoundEffects_Common routine to work, so I apologize for any bugged sound effects...

Edit: I’ve been informed that this doesn’t work on MD.emu and Retroland due to the Title theme, I’ll fix that as soon as possible.

Credits: Rosabelle, Doc Melonhead, Vladikcomper (Red Shield+MegaPCM), Sonic CD + Knuckles Chaotix, SCAA (i did cheap out at the last moment for the title card art+life counter), and whoever else helped me along the way (I'm sorry if I forgot to credit anyone)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    EddyTF, Crimson Neo, Pacca and 5 others like this.
  7. Jdpense

Jdpense Custom Title Member

Description

This hack aims to be Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with new tag team mechanics from Sonic Advance 3. The only playable characters are Sonic, Tails, and Amy. This will be the finale update to this project, and the last time I ever make a "simple" hack like this ever again. From now on, I seek to develop something and place more effort into something original, since that's what this community cares for.

Note: Just to clarify, I created the Advance 3 Tag Team mechanics FROM SCRATCH, they were NOT ported over. I feel like I need to address this, because I always see people make assumptions about my projects that features were "just ported over", but this is not that case.

Features

- "New" abilities added based off partner selected (Like in Sonic Advance 3)
    - Tag Team mechanics from Sonic Advance 3
    - Menus and Pause menu added
    - Option to change controls for A, B, C buttons

Level Select: UP, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, UP at the title screen

Tools and Assets Used

- SonLvl by MainMemory
    - xm3smps by Nineko
    - Sonic 2 Clone Driver v2 by Clownacy
    - Sonic 2 2007 disassembly and SonMapED by Xenowhirl
    - S3K custom item box sprite sheet by Doc Melonhead and Techokami
    - PlaneED by Qiuu
    - Sonic Advance 3 Factory sprite sheet by Geo Prower
    - Tails Sonic 1 Sprite Sheet Rips by Parky33
    - Sonic CD Sonic Sprite Sheet rips by Victor T (Zenor)
    - Amy Rose custom Sonic 1 and 2 Sprites by Psi
    - Sonic Advance 3 Sonic Sprite Sheet rips by Ren "Foxx" Ramos
    - Extend the Sonic 1 sprite mappings and art limit guide by Markey Jester

Based Games Sprites:

- Insta Shield, Amy's Balloons, and Pause menu icon art from Sonic Advance 3
    - Some Tails sprites from Sonic 3 and Sonic Crackers (Victory pose, throwing)
    - Sonic sprites from Sonic 1 and Sonic CD
    - Base Amy art from Sonic CD
    - Drums from Chaotix
    - Tails' extra sprites from Sonic 1 Remastered

Download

8. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Well, this didn't take long.

Attached Files:

Jdpense likes this.
  9. SuperSayian Zrise

SuperSayian Zrise Well-Known Member Exiled

I liked it. I didn't play it for long though:
    Amy is probably the most overpowered character. She can basically glide and if you gain the speed shoes there is no way your losing. besides the boss maybe. I liked playing as tails flying and hammering robots everywhere and I like how the hack is somewhat accurate. sense I didn't play for long I didn't find anything wrong.

Jdpense likes this.
  10. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

I just want to remind everyone the purpose of this thread. It is called the Random Hack/Mini Project thread for a reason.

Typically, I would expect to see a proof of concept, an abandoned project or a completed project that isn't big enough to warrant its own thread. This thread is not to post the latest revisions of your hack and ask for feedback.

If your project is still in progress, it doesn't belong in here. There are also other more effective methods of acquiring feedback than just dumping a ROM here for people to try.

Please consider this carefully before posting in this thread.

11. Stdh

Stdh Active Member Member

Sonic 1 github madness
    Warning: this is a joke hack and may not appeal to everyone

This awesome and very epic advanture has been made by several people that edited an ordinary sonic 1 disasm with no rules and the result is this masterpiece
    • Explore awesome levels that are very epic
    • Play as multiple characters by pressing b on the title
    • Best music ever
    • Unfunny jokes
    And watch out for ballhogs when there bomb gets released the game crashes!!

Edit: added the shc version that got rejected
    And forgot to mention the signpost has a hitbox of 1 pixel so good luck!
    And also here is the disasm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  12. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

My eyes are thankful!
    sus.PNG
    sus
    I'm very likeable

13. Matt

Matt Active Member Member

Greetings everyone! I'm back with a new Sonic the hedgehog rom hack.this rom hack includes completely redone new levels, new music and new gimmicks. As I am still working on the game, I will not release the playable version but instead I will release the preview version below to let members test and for send feedback and suggestions to me.

ATTENTION!
    This isn't meant to be showcased on YouTube as official release version so videos such as showcases, commentaries or gameplay are not allowed until i release the first demo on a separate thread. Thanks!

You can download the game (labelled as V1 Stable beta) below.

waiting for reviews and feedbacks. thanks for your attention.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  14. Scrap Sorra

Scrap Sorra Well-Known Member Member

This is gonna be a quick and dirty one. Art edits don't look that appealing, palette is untouched which is a bit disappointing, music is decent and probably from a SMPS pack (although nature trail from granada is a strange choice for GHZ), level design isn't great, I'm not a fan of the new HUD (although that could just be me idk) and overall it needs a lot of work.

DeltaWooloo and ProjectFM like this.
  15. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

Part of the rules here is that, if you're showcasing a hack, you need to include screenshots of the hack as a bare minimum. That being said, this feels like the first post of its own thread, and not something that should have been put in the Random hack/Mini project thread. Also, telling people they aren't allowed to record any footage to put onto YouTube, etc. doesn't really work when you've put the hack in a public space.

Onto the hack itself. Some of the art edits are acceptable, and some definitely require some more work (removing detail is a strange decision). Level design is a bit strange in places, although it works and fits together in most places. Music choices are questionable, and don't really fit the levels correctly. I'm not going to go into details, as I would be here for way too long.

I mean, you've clearly got some potential here, but it doesn't live up to it. It's not a bad first attempt, though. If it had been put into its own thread, it could have garnered some more feedback, but I feel it will be overlooked in here.

16. Matt

Matt Active Member Member

Thanks for reply D.A. Garden. Sorry if i didn't add screenshots, but since this hack isn't already completed, i will not post any screenshot of it.

I said this because probably Razor & Zenon will do a gameplay video of it, and the viewers will probably comment about this hack saying "this is poor designed" and so on. i prefer wait to release the first official version in a separate thread, but if anyone wanna showcase it, it's necessary to mention that this is a work in progress hack.

i'm happy that you like the art edits. i'm mentioning that the art will probably change in future releases, including the level design. the music will be changed and i will also add the MegaPCM in the next release. since the hack run on the Sonic 1 prototype engine, i already decided to transfer everything to a clean Sonic 1 Hivebrain disassembly, and the hack will probably be renamed. i still don't know how to rename it, but i have some ideas:
    • Sonic 1: Mania-fied
    • Sonic 1: Neo Mobius
    • Sonic 1: Reimagined
    • Sonic 1: Revolution
    • Sonic 1: New Generation
    thanks for your feedback.

ExtremeBehavior likes this.
  17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

Adding screenshots for hacks is a rule, and isn't optional, if you didn't know.

ExtremeBehavior likes this.
  18. ExtremeBehavior

ExtremeBehavior Indefinitely inactive Member

I remember D.A. Garden said the smiliar thing to me on my hack thread before, but he added that he and many others will not downloading a hack unless at least one or two screenshots were provided.

JGamer2151 likes this.
  19. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

You don't need to repeat what someone has said. The rules are explicitly mentioned on the board index, with a link to them:
    [​IMG]
    If people don't follow the guidelines, then the staff have the right to trash the thread, if screenshots do not get provided.

At the end of the day, people simply want to see what they're going to play, before doing so. It's common sense after all.

20. yami

yami the homing attack addict Member

Those links don't work????