Random hack/Mini project thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DanielHall, May 24, 2010.

1. JGamer2151

JGamer2151 Well-Known Member/Lurker Member

To my knowledge, I would say that the link on the board index Spanner mentioned goes to the ROM Hack Thread Guidelines thread, but that link has been broken or had not been updated to the new format since the forum software change years ago.

Here is an updated link to that thread:
    https://sonicresearch.org/community...-want-to-unveil-it-in-the-public-domain.2046/

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  2. Matt

Matt Active Member Member

I'm back with sonic 1 Neo-Mobius, this time with a new version and with some screenshots

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png

• Added the MegaPCM
    • Transfered everything to the final version engine
    • Tweaked level design (WIP)

Staff Note: Resized images

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2021
  3. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

Can you please resize your images? They are way too big. If you are using Kega Fusion, you can get appropriately sized images very easily using the screenshot feature. Otherwise, just scale them down in the editing software of your choice (even paint can do this).

You are also still posting in the wrong place. I have explained this in my last post, and have had to warn someone recently for the same thing. I'm going to quote my previous post again, as it keeps getting ignored:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  4. Matt

Matt Active Member Member

Sorry, my apologies. I will not post any progress in this thread and i will release another version in a separate thread. Sorry again.

ExtremeBehavior likes this.
  5. SuperSayian Zrise

SuperSayian Zrise Well-Known Member Exiled

I'm just going to post some of my unfinished and never released (yet) rom hacks here. (And if I don't forget I will add more of my hacks here in zip/rar files.)
    Sonic 1 Long Version:
    [​IMG]
    Sonic The Hedgehog x10.5:
    [​IMG]
    Sonic The Hedgehog Project 50:
    [​IMG]
    Sonic 1: Wacky Adventure:
    [​IMG]
    The hack above this text had the pylon glitch. Also, I'm not sure what to do with these files because I think I'm done with making hacks and publishing them.

Sonic 1 Long Version:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/onqn16nthvnhv7r/Sonic_1_LV_-1-.zip/file

Sonic 1 Wacky Adventure:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/b0eqfukv7ymuwvh/Sonic_1_Wacky_Adventure_-1-.rar/file

Sonic The Hedgehog Project 50:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/1m0jmbgilrym8gd/Sonic_The_Hedgehog_Project_50_-1-.zip/file

Sonic The Hedgehog x10.5:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/b5aj5zkal2ttosg/Sonic_The_Hedgehog_x10.5_-1-.zip/file
    Edit(01/27/2022-Thursday): Yeah, I put decent amount of info on Sonic 1 - Wacky Adventure on its gamebanana page. So I will post the info here to!

Discontinued at 33% completion
    Just some massive project that I quit working on.

I quit working on this hack of sonic 1 I was working on, So I just included the builds in one zip file and released them. (The latest build is in the folder with the most recent date.)
    Characters

Sonic:
    Spindash: hold down and press C and hold C and let go to dash! (If I remember correctly.)

Zonic:
    (Try pressing on one jump button at a time until you hear a ring chime on title to play as this character.)
    Edit: This character's name is spelled Zonik. And not Zonic.

Invincibility: This doesn't even have a true name, but whatever. Press B to go invincible and theres no limit or anything either!

Note: I clearly forgot which button it was.

Levels:
    Green Hill Zone act 1: Has this glitch and I gave up so yeah.
    Act 2: I think its actually finished but yeah.
    The LEVELS ON FIRE.

Sky Top Zone act 1: The zone 7 of this game and can only be accessed using the action replay code:
    FFFFE10:XXYY
    then enter zone number in X and act for Y
    And it maybe also FFFE10:XXYY
    Try both.
    Also, its ripped from another one of my hacks and doesn't take place in the sky.
    And here's why I QUIT HACKING.(This is from my neocities website)
    Here's why I quit making Sonic hacks/hacks in general.

I used to make a few and release them to the public and its like a cycle and its extremely repetitive. I release, criticism, and it being just the same. I QUIT! And I have NOTHING against criticism, its just that I give up. if I cant do it then I'm just accepting the fact that it will never
    I have no motivation to really even try anymore, there's just no reason to do it anymore, and I doubt someone will call something like mine hidden treasure in the next millennium
    I do have a post about how I was feeling at a specific time on the ssrg forums.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  6. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

NOTICE: This hack was originally released on October 11, 2021 for the SHC Expo 2021. But since most of the Expo hacks went under everyone's radar unfortunately, a lot of people probably don't know it exists. To prevent it from completely fading away in case last year's SHC entries go to the vault (and loose their description and credits), I decided it wouldn't harm to repost it here. Also, the posted version is secretly much newer than the one featured in Expo~

Sonic 1: 50Hz = 60Hz (240p Edition)

[​IMG]

Do you own a PAL Mega-Drive, that's only capable of running games in 50 Hz instead of glorious 60 Hz? Are you tried of your Sonic 1 running almost 17% slower? Are you dreaming of playing it in full speed, like NTSC users?

Well, this hack got you covered, as it overhauls the game and its physics engine to effectively run at the same speed regardless of your region! It's about time 50 Hz mode gets the upper hand!
    • Play in PAL-exclusive 320x240 resolution! Make NTSC users jealous as they only get smaller 320x224 screen.
    • 50 Hz now feels the same as 60 Hz! This was achieved by dynamically extrapolating all the movement, velocities, accelerations, in-game timers, animations etc. in 50 Hz mode.
    • More processing power, less lag. Due to lower screen refresh rates, the game gets even more processing time for each frame, meaning the lag is reduced.
    • One ROM to rule the all. As mentioned above, screen refresh rate extrapolation is dynamic, nothing is hardcoded. So this ROM will play the same in 60 Hz mode (except you won't get PAL-exclusive benefits mentioned above)
    Attention Emulator Users: To play this hack as intended, you need to set your region to Europe (PAL).

DOWNLOAD

P.S.: Did you know that this hack is based on Sonic 1 Blastless DX codebase? Feel free to also check out Sonic 1 Blastless DX was the same PAL experience and much more!

Angel X, EddyTF, JGamer2151 and 4 others like this.
  7. EddyTF

EddyTF somebody once told me Member

What can I say. It didn't go well for me, it was very simple. You have to work and work on hacks, and my advice to you is: insert music into your hack, so it will look even better and work with ASM code. I've said it all, about your hacks.

SuperSayian Zrise likes this.
  8. SuperSayian Zrise

SuperSayian Zrise Well-Known Member Exiled

Well, I just realized that I am enjoying the website building more than I ever did when working on hacks and definitely made tons more progress than I've ever got with hacking. The html coding is just simple and not overly complicated where you try everything or vague error messages even though you tried practically everything and it STILL doesn't work. When all I have to do is simply look it up and I get my answer. And the best part is that it has way better documentation. Sense its hard to find at least 10 sources to learn the specific assembly code for Sega Genesis. Anyways thats my opinion and the most I ever worked hard on a hack was Sonic 1 - Wacky Adventure. Because it was meant to basically be the redemption. Extra zones, 2 characters, storyline, (maybe music,) new abilities, save feature and more! (I think.) And some of the stuff is in the most recent version of the hack in the folder! Specifically: 2 Characters, new abilities, Extra Zones. (Well, only the first act of Sky Top Zone.) And a save feature that actually works. And no there's no menu for it.
    Anyways, thats all I have to say, and I'm sorry for this TL;DR.

9. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

When I released my first hack, Sonic Eggman Monitor, I was focused a lot on the criticisms, even the ones where they came from youtube, and I took notes trying to improve my project.
    Thanks to my experimentation and the help of the forum I was able to create version 2.0.
    I would have liked to have received feedback and to know if the people who had played my new version liked it, but unfortunately I have not received anything.
    To be honest at first I was disappointed, because I had taken the time to improve the game, adding a lot of new things that weren't there before, and not knowing what others were thinking made me sad.

Now you are wondering "Why did you write a poem to tell me this?", To tell you that in the end I was satisfied of what I did!
    In this experience I learned things that I never thought I'd learn, along the way I had problems, but trying to experiment I was able to solve.
    But the best part was when they released the gameplay of my first version of my hack on youtube and knowing that people liked it made me very happy:D

In other words, what I want to tell you is that it does not matter if your project is not remembered, the important thing is to have fun and learn new things!
    I don't want to force you to start hacking again, because I'm stuck too and I don't know when to release a new hack ...
    However, I would be sorry if you left the forum, because I saw many users enter and leave for various reasons, even people I liked!

SuperSayian Zrise likes this.
  10. Giovanni

Giovanni It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

My brain suggested that I remake "Sonic 1 - No Hit Edition" with the objective to deliver a more polished product. So I did.

I present to you Sonic 1 - No Hit Edition REV01, a revision of "my laziest project ever", as I said back then.

Sonic 1 - No Hit Edition REV01.png

While I will recognize that it is a rather unremarkable endeavor, it was actually nice to look back at my old version's shortcomings and improve upon it. While the choices, back then, made some semblance of sense, I was driven by pure laziness and a significantly worse programming knowledge and general idea of how Sonic works.

Fortunately, I believe I did address the mistakes I made, and managed to improve upon the general presentation and quality of life. Chance is, me clogging up this thread with a lengthy write up about the changes made to a hack that makes you die as soon as you get hit once and does nothing else in terms of gameplay may not be the best use of this thread's space. But, if you're interested in what's been changed in this ROM hack, then the spoiler button below will reveal everything.

Rings

The way I handled rings in the previous version of Sonic 1 - No Hit Edition was straightforward: I just made them not work. Collecting rings was pointless, and so was breaking the related monitor. It made sense, but it came with one quirk I will talk about later.

In this revision, you CAN collect rings, even from monitors. However, they will not save you from certain death, nor will they give you second chances at besting death. One hit, and you're out, regardless of ring amount. You may still collect rings if you seek to add score to the scoreboard at the end of a level. Plus, unlike my older version, you DO need 50 rings to enter the Special Stage. Speaking of...

Special Stages

In the previous version of Sonic 1 - No Hit Edition, due to the pointlessness of rings, I had made Special Stages always accessible. This is a major concern, seeing as I was aiming for "unchanged gameplay". Like I said, you now need rings to get to the Special Stages. Furthermore, Special Stages used to be places where you could completely dodge death: failure of a Special Stage meant absolutely nothing to your run. This, too, has been changed. Should you fail a Special Stage by hitting a GOAL to leave it, you will be faced with a... quite special "results" screen, followed by a complete restart of your journey. So, if you choose to enter Special Stages, then you better get the Chaos Emeralds.

Quality of Death improvements
    (Get it? Death? As in the theme of this ROM hack? Not funny? Alright then.)

While the gameplay remains as unchanged as it can be compared to Sonic 1, I did get rid of the Game Over sequence and the lives system. Now, one death takes you straight back to the very beginning of Green Hill 1, taking away all of your progress made so far.
    Additionally, the new "results" screen you get when you fail a Special Stage can be skipped by pressing the Start button.
    I've also restored the "PRESS START BUTTON" object, to then replace it with the appropriate "NO HIT EDITION" text.

Credits:

Hack by Giovanni
    Art edits made with Flex 2 by snkenjoi
    Special Stage results screen made with help from Selbi's Text Code Generator
    "PRESS START BUTTON" font grabbed from this sprite sheet by MunchJrGames on DeviantArt and Slick-Nick.
    "PRESS START BUTTON" guide by Quickman and Egor305
    Tested on Kega Fusion 3.64, BizHawk 2.8 with the Genesis Plus core and Regen 0.97D.

Download:

EDIT: A quick hotfix was made that prevents the Continue sound effect from playing when unneeded.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  11. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

A more interesting idea than meets the eye! You should play up the nature of the game to be more like an arcade-style 'survival' mode, that has some kind of results screen showing progress made when the player loses, and/or maybe a high score screen/list? Also, if the monitors and lamposts do nothing, why not just remove them en masse, and rts them out?

Giovanni and Crimson Neo like this.
  12. Giovanni

Thanks for your reply! I will address your points.

Your results screen idea is awesome. I wish I had the technical know how to draw that type of menus/screens in Sonic hacks. There is one hack of mine, Sonic 1 - Score Rush, that would pair up with this idea wonderfully.

Now, as far as unfunctional objects, let's first address the monitors.
    I do understand your position, but I do have an argument against the monitors' removal, which you may or may not agree with.

Monitors are solid objects. If I were to remove them, there's a higher chance that a player that plays this game with a certain set of inputs may not beat the original Sonic 1 with that same set of inputs. Now, you can certainly disagree with this argument, and I'd totally understand you for doing that, but I just prefer following this policy, when it comes to solid objects. I could, however, make the non functional monitors blank.

As for the lamp posts, they are objects I can comfortably remove from the level design, due to their lack of solidity. And I may just do that, should I ever revisit this hack in the future. However, I can't really completely rts them out of the game. I tried that, and that breaks LZ3's demo sequence in the credits.

Still, I could remove lamp posts from the game, leaving only the necessary code behind.

13. TheInvisibleSun

Ah, I see what you mean; there are certain times where someone who is used to Sonic 1 will expect a 'bounce' where there are normally monitors. Although there could be an argument for this being a legitimate, and purposeful change in gameplay, I can see it being quite jarring. So, what if monitors were worth points, with each one having different point values associated with them? That way, they still maintain their physicality, but have functional purpose.

I just placed an rts right after the Lamppost label, and it did not affect that demo sequence on my end (see attached). What 'breaks', out of curiosity?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    Giovanni likes this.
  14. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

Speaking of scores, similar to TheInvisibleSun's idea, how about a "zen mode" style of gameplay that counts the number of times you get hit, a la Sonic 3 Complete's casual mode. With that, lampposts and 1up monitor and reduce the hit counter.

I hope I'm not sounding too vague or senseless but seeing your ROM hack sparked that idea.

Giovanni likes this.
  15. Giovanni

Oh, I see what you did. What I did back then was remove ALL code regarding Obj79, even the data loading subroutine, which is required by LZ3's demo to actually load Sonic's position, among other things like the water. It is the only demo sequence that does this.

As long as the related code is there, of course, nothing happens.

Deactivated Account likes this.
  16. TheInvisibleSun

Generic GHZ Layout Hack.PNG

Made a quick Sonic 1 layout hack; I meant to release this roughly a week or so ago, but didn't have the time. Enjoy!(?)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    JGamer2151, badnest, EddyTF and 6 others like this.
  17. Giovanni

What is this excuse of a hack you call a "level layout" hack? First, you spawn me inside of a loop, and then you don't even place invisible walls to properly make Sonic collide with some of the walls! The level isn't even finished! Why would you make me go through the waste of time that is this ROM hack?

The free falling gimmick is absolutely amazing. I have come across some instances where the rings pop into view, but otherwise, with that little extra bit of polish, it could make for an amazing Special Stage idea!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    TheInvisibleSun likes this.
  18. EddyTF

EddyTF somebody once told me Member

Fantastic hack! Awesome idea! 10 out of 10! I have no words straight :)

19. badnest

badnest Newcomer Member

Fxxking awesome.

That was a great job you did with the bg deformation. It's nice to see some effort put into "joke" hacks. Good stuff.

20. JGamer2151

JGamer2151 Well-Known Member/Lurker Member

Wow! Love the layout that you made! Keep it up!

In all honesty, the amount of effort that you put into when I went into the COSMIC ZONE just blew me away. It just felt out of this world for me, collecting rings within a certain time-limit while free-falling. It really felt like a bonus stage to me.

All in all, I really enjoyed this mini-hack! This shows wonders!