Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. SuperSayian Zrise

SuperSayian Zrise Well-Known Member Exiled

I had to assume what your trying to say is:
    1: I used SLZ for GHZ (Even though its not SLZ, its GHZ.)

2. I used GHZ for SLZ (which is still not the case because of the above reason.)
    Or something is shifted and I don't know what and where it was shifted. Even though I did add extra zones. (Bonus levels, not actually apart of the game.)
    Then again, I only have Zone 07 and no more extra zones at the moment.
    Or here's the 3rd reason
    3. I overwrote something even though I use sonlvl and the ini file was fine. The only thing I did to Star Light Zone was change the palette. So, this is why I'm confused.

TheInvisibleSun and Inferno like this.
  2. Inferno

Inferno Rom Hacker Member

I meant the 3rd. Check SonLVL's view of the level rq in both INIs for both revisions, specifically for if there is an object at 0, 0.

SuperSayian Zrise likes this.
  3. SuperSayian Zrise

But I'm wondering if I should delete it from the level or should I delete it from the zone.
    Or anything else like making the object null.

But the thing is that its not some "natural object" that spawns without the object being placed in the layout. I know this because when I made Sonic 1.23 I reset act 1's layout and object position and the pylon just gone.

4. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

I know this might be unrelated to the situation but I've seen you've ported the foreground object well. Have you considered managing VRAM for it in order to load the art well for the object?

Code:
            move.w    #$XXXX,obGfx(a0) 
    This is the line to map the VRAM for the art to load. But before you do that, be sure to set the mappings and art correctly. If you want to get a bit of insight as to loading the art correctly, take a look at this. It shows you the basics of VRAM and how you can load it. If you still can't set it up, let me know and I'll try to fully explain it to you at some point.

5. Inferno

Inferno Rom Hacker Member

Yes, you are right.

Which means either the game is loading a object layout from SLZ or you accidentally placed a pylon somewhere.

Which is why I asked you to check the object layout in SonLVL first. If it's fine, then the game is loading the wrong layout, either because the include for GHZ's object layout got swapped out with one for SLZ OR the code for grabbing the layout got broken. The easiest test for the solution here is to see if all other zones are fine. If they are, then GHZ's object layout files aren't being included, rather SLZ's are in their place.

6. SuperSayian Zrise

Anyways heres a new problem I have. Before trying to test the levels and see if they worked, I tried opening SonLVL and this appears:
    [​IMG]
    And then, the windows defender says it found this:
    [​IMG]
    I could not figure out why, so I took a long break. Also, using start actions is useless because it deletes sonLVL. Any help for a sonlvl without this problem?

ExtremeBehavior likes this.
  7. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

You can create an exception for the SonLVL folder in Windows Defender.

8. JGamer2151

JGamer2151 Well-Known Member/Lurker Member

I’ve seen something like that before, although it has never happened to me on my end. That looks like Windows Defender triggering a false positive to SonLVL, thinking that the program is a virus and may pose a threat to the OS when in reality the program is not harmful to the system.

But yeah, whenever SonLVL is detected as a "virus", I would suggest having Windows Defender exempt the application and make sure that any antivirus software is not detecting the utility as a virus.

9. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  10. Dark Lips

Dark Lips Well-Known Member Member

Hi there - I have been wanting to use the Sonic 2 wide screen hack as a base for my own due to many features and bug fixes already being done but find myself having problems with getting level object layouts to register. I save my changes using SONLVL but when I build they have not changed. is there something different about the hack/dissasem that I am missing or not aware of?

11. SuperSayian Zrise

Hey, and I'm here with something that logically makes -100 sense:
    [​IMG]
    I'm wondering is it possible to beat green hill zone act 1 in that time? Well, I sure as heck think its hacking. Because theres NO way you can move that fast through green hill act 1.
    And I'm wondering is it possible without hacks to beat that record. (I know I sound phycho, but I'm wondering.) And if not then what hacks is going on. Probably, just TAS.

Angel X likes this.
  12. Soldaten

Soldaten The Coilgun Root Admin

It's hacks. Any game with an online component will draw in morons that cheat, even in something as frivolous as a leader board in a Sonic game.

13. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

I will never understand what's great about cheating in online games.
    I understand in singleplayer, everyone can play as they like, but you can't spoil the fun of other players.
    Do you feel stronger by using cheats?
    Believe me, you will have a lot of satisfaction using only your abilities!

14. JGamer2151

To answer your question, it’s probably TAS, because NOBODY can beat those records without hacks in any way whatsoever. Or otherwise, they might have used Debug/Edit mode (this may be wrong) or hacked through the leaderboards to purposely be on top of other players.

But seriously, don’t cheat in games, especially in time attacks. They are frowned upon, unfair, and those cheaters shall be banned.

Jokes and ranting aside, I think this reminded me of one of those ROM hacks that deter cheating from players willing to cheat by implementing cheat-traps.

Denuvo Anti-Cheat anyone?

SuperSayian Zrise and Angel X like this.
  15. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

Oh my God...
    I remember the controversy it generated,luckily I was provident and saw the reviews, avoiding having any problems!
    Thanks to this I had to wait a long time before I could play Sonic Mania :mad:
    The nice thing is that it had to fight piracy, obviously after a couple of days the game could easily be pirated...

SuperSayian Zrise and JGamer2151 like this.
  16. JGamer2151

Yep, that’s exactly how DRM works basically (including how it is utilized); also not to mention the fact that Denuvo on Sonic Mania would only allow it to play online at all times with no offline mode.

SuperSayian Zrise and Angel X like this.
  17. hebereke

hebereke opa opa! Member

This isn't strictly related to the Sonic games more than it is just to SMPS Z80 in general, but how do I make a song use instruments from a global bank instead of having instruments tacked on at the end of the file? Trying to import some music into a game that uses a variant of Wonder Boy III's SMPS and I'm attempting to do this in the interest of saving space.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  18. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

If you can't find a proper way to do so, you can put all the instruments at the end of the last song (of each bank), and have all the previous songs (in that bank) reference them with creative pointers.

I actually considered to do this in my hack back in the day (minus the bank part since Sonic 1 uses the 68000 smps), but I ultimately didn't.

19. Tarekboushi

Tarekboushi Newcomer Trialist

tryna enable the press start button text by rom editing because i do not have the disassembly
    whats the byte?

20. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

My opinion it's easier using a disassembly, you'll be able to find them at sonicretro. I think there's a tutorial over there on reenabling the Press Start Button text