Got a question or two for S2F and S3+K

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by insulfrog, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insulfrog

insulfrog Active Member Member

1) In Sonic 2 Final: I would like to know on how to change the paths for the tube system for CPZ. I have already changed the tiles for my path but now I need to change the coding to suit. How do I do that?

2) In S3+K: I cannot remember where the offset is to change the underwater countdown timer. I would like to know where it is.

I did not catch any of the answers above on any of the hacking guides (especially on Sonic Retro's guides).

Your help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2007
  2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

The paths can be done by ASM I guessing, otherwise I have no idea.

As for the water thing, does Nemesis's guide say anything about it?

3. insulfrog

insulfrog Active Member Member

I did not see anything in anything in the Nemesis guides about the underwater countdown timer, since Nemesis mostly deals with compressed graphics (unless I have missed something) :p .

4. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

Well, if you DO find the address for the underwater countdown timer, it's a simple byte to change. Did you try looking up the address for it used in S1/S2? It's more than likely going to be the same.

5. shobiz

shobiz Well-Known Member Member

According to Stealth's Sonic 3k notes (the ones that came with his Sonic & Knuckles disassembly), it's byte 2C of the SST.

I managed to find the locations for the initial setting of this byte (10B98 for Sonic, 16548 for Knuckles and 1378A for Tails). However (and this is weird), I can't find the code which determines what this counter is set to when the character enters/exits the water, so without this, the above values are useless. I did a binary search for both

Code:
    move.b	#$1E,$2C(a0)
    which yielded 11 results (three of which were the initialization bytes for characters), and

Code:
    move.b	#$1E,($FFFFB02C).w
    which yielded 4 results, but none of these 15 seem to have any effect upon the resetting of the countdown when the character enters/exits water.

EDIT: I'm an idiot - I forgot to search for $2C(a1). The location for all characters is 186BE.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.