A hack of shame (How to NOT make a hack)

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Zero, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zero

Zero Active Member Member

This was my attempt at hacking a couple years ago during high school. It made me realize that i can play games, but i can't make (or hack) them. I had followed many guides like the peelout guide (before it was removed) and the double jump code from retrohack (before it went down in 2008 or so) and there should be no stolen content, and if there is it was done unknowingly from a guide.....

shame hack source.rar

Attached Files:

2. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    wow, it crashes every time I hit a monitor.....And no level select. It could still be fixed though to be nice.

3. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

I don't much care for hacks like this to be honest. It's a good try overall, but it is far too incomplete in my perception.

4. hebereke

hebereke opa opa! Member

Moonlit Hill's music sounds funny to me for some reason. I managed to get to level select but then I accidentally reset >_>

Its not crashing for me; what emulator were you using?

5. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Regen probably, because the same happens to me. But it also happens for every badnik. Interestingly though, is if you press A, B or C during the error, the game will carry on and the error will be left on screen, until you walk away from it and come back, then it's gone.

Played half the hack, got to LBZ2 then got a bit tired of it. But this isn't too bad for a first try. The music is shit, but for GHZ and MZ, it was good shit. The music for them levels actually suited to your changes. And in SYZ, I liked how everything was changed to this shyguy character (and the boss too?)

GHZ boss, I like the concept of it. It another new unique twist to the boss. The change to the MZ boss I wasn't impressed with; hiding them spikes =P

When I got to LZ, the palette really put me off, and the music was even shitter, so I kind of stopped playing from there.

Played as Knuckles through most of it, but gave Sonic and Shadow a try. All their sprites are almost complete, just some angled ones that are a bit wonky (and from leaving a spring).

Anyway, this isn't worse than Green Snake's hack. You've actually tried with this one and put some effort in.

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

This basically, not that I want to promote the hack at this stage, there's a lack of original direction.

7. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

not on my end here. guess its because im using kega fusion.

@Zero: you should probably check some of the files in that source. for curiosity i just made another build and out of nowhere I get a random bluescreen on my laptop. did this happen to anyone else or no.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
  8. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

It's you computer, you either got hit hard with a virus or your registry is fucking up. I have the same issue on my older laptop. Zero's source shouldn't be the issue.

9. SuperEgg

quite frankly, I like where the hack started. If you would fix it up and make it work fine, it'd be good. I'm ALMOST tempted to fixing it myself just for kicks.

10. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

tl;dr Sonic 255 is what not to make.:V We all have these unoriginal pieces of crap in our closets don't we?

11. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Nope. =P

12. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

That's hot. I haven't had any 'uninspired' or 'stolen' hacks, but my first Sonic 2 hacks were ESE'd and were full of bugs.

13. SuperEgg

Still better than Green Snake......

Anything is better than Green Snake. I mean, ANYTHING.

Sonic 255>Green Snake. Bite me.

14. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

I don't know why you're taking this Green Snake kid so seriously. There have been plenty of thieves that have come and gone in this community, although you're treating him in particular like he came in on Christmas morning and pissed on the kids.

15. SuperEgg

It's not that he stole content. Though some people may be quite offended by it, I am not. His hack basically just set a standard on the way hacks SHOULDN'T be made. It was piss horrible, lack of originality, direction, design, art, ect. Also, basically Green Snake has become a meme/joke amongst people on here.

16. Zero

Zero Active Member Member

I should have mentioned that the level select cheat was changed to up, up, up, up, start

a = sonic

b = shadow

left = silver

down = tails

right = knuckles

debug still uses c on title screen...

sorry about the music, it was kinda hard for me, and most of my testing was done in fusion....

Edit: also the ring and robotnik monitors act differently based on the person you are

"easy" 20 rings and normal hurt damage

"normal" 10 rings and automatic death

"hard" 5 rings and automatic game over

(i wonder what megaGwolf would say if he tried this hack?)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  17. DeoxysKyogre

DeoxysKyogre No idea what to put here .-. Member

Zero, honestly... This hack isn't that bad, it's good for it to be a first hack, and of course you can hack, like everyone here, you just need to practice, like all of us have done. I see your potential, and even though the hack is very buggy, there were some things I actually liked, like some palettes, and the Shy Guy enemies in Spring Yard, these things are unique, and the ideas are good, you just need to execute them in a better way. Zero, an advise, if you want to improve, listen & read people's suggestions, try again and again, and do not give up. Again, it's a good start, and we can help you improve.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.