A strange Problem

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by insulfrog, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insulfrog

insulfrog Active Member Member

I have a strange problem here.

I'm currently editing Aquatic Ruin Zone for my Sonic 2 hack and I haven't done much. When I came to test it, I played the level until the 10th 'big tile' from the left and the game just freezes with no apparent reason. No object, ring or anything else thats 'not out of the ordinary' that might cause it.

My hack is not a disassembly hack so I have not used any disassemblies, all it is is a simple pallete and level edit hack as well as one or two hex edits so all I've used is SonEd 1, C-Pal, ESEII and XVI32.

PS: -

The zip file below (just click the link below to download it) contains the rom hack and the savestate used if needed to help to find the problem: -

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ddac7cb...d8b33b5aa27078d

2. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

SonED 1 + ESEII = disaster. There's nothing you can do unless it's related to your hex edits. Hex is a bitch, especially when it comes to adding things etc.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

You know what, I'll bite--I have never had a single problem when using SonED and ESEII together in conjunction. Granted, all I did was use the internal editors for stuff such as title cards, level select, and other bits and bobs while sticking to SonED for level editing, but my hacks always remained totally intact. Why it messes up for so many others is beyond me; surely there's a way to keep it from happening?

That said, if you're using Sonic 2, then I'd like to strongly suggest switching over to a split disassembly and SonED2. If you need help migrating your changes over, I'd be happy to help you out--it's not complicated at all. ;)

4. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Let's do some boolean algebra:

(SonED1) and (ESE1 or ESE2) and (not SonED2) can work together.

5. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Well, Migrating roms with ESE THEN using it in sonic 2 always resulted in the rom not booting up eventually for me personally. (happened more than once). And no, it wasn't checksum. It may work but eventually it won't...ESE's migration kinda messes things up. :x

6. insulfrog

insulfrog Active Member Member

Hmm, perhaps migrating to a split disassembly and SonED2 is a good idea. No debut I will probably need help with that (cheers Tweaker :downs: ) .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.