ASM Tag

Discussion in 'Site News' started by OrdosAlpha, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

OK, I seem to have got it semi working on an Admin only skin. For some reason all posts using the ASM tag made prior to 11:05 pm BST (+1 GMT) yesterday are parsing the code for the tag correctly. The css needs tweaked for this skin, but should work perfectly on skins with dark backgrounds. However, posts made from 11:06 pm BST (+1 GMT) onwards aren't parsing the code. Don't know why. But, at least I'm getting somewhere.

2. OrdosAlpha

OK, I've got it working. I'll update the public skins once I've got a css for lighter coloured skins prepared.

3. OrdosAlpha

The ASM tag is now available in a code box and in colour on all the forum skins.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I'm actually slightly disappointed in that, I use "CODE" boxes instead of "ASM" boxes for the reason that the colours are often completely wrong in places, like comment spaces... Now I pretty much cannot escape it =$

Edit: in addition, what if the people using the code boxes are using it to display code that isn't assembly for example? is there some sort of flag or trigger to turn off the colours just in case? As an example, I've used code boxes to display raw hex values for such things as SMPS data.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  5. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

You can always suggest changes to the colours and structure of the ASM tags you know.

6. OrdosAlpha

Like Soti said, you can submit colour alternatives for the css files being used for the ASM and CODE tags.

7. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

The tagging needs tweaking a bit. If you go to this topic, you can see in the first part of the ASM, half of it is yellow. Also, anything that has been commented should be highlighted the same, like it does in notepad 2, it makes all comments green.

8. OrdosAlpha

It's another of the issues the highlighting script used by the ASM tag, but as you can see I quick fixed it by removing the possessive apostrophe from "Hivebrain's". The reason why it happens is because the script looks for a closing apostrophe/quoatation mark after it comes across an opening one of either, because it doesn't find one, all the text after it is parsed as being part of the quote. I ain't all that hot at Javascript to even tweak the script to take possessive apostrophes into consideration. I may be able to move the apostophe from the parsing/style group it's in and place it in the group for regular text, that could prevent the fucked parsing when using possessive apostrophes.

9. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Ugh, there's another serious issue with these new ASM boxes: Look at this topic. All of the tabs were replaced by an inconsistent number of spaces, and it looks just ugly. Any chance to fix it?

10. OrdosAlpha

Turns out Jim had another language file for the script, which I've uploaded. It makes the code look much better as some of the issues have been taken care of.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
  11. OrdosAlpha

Ah, that's happening as a result of a function Jim added to the highlighting script. I switched to the original unmodified script, and the post re-aligned nicely. I'll make the changes to the public skins and you can see for yourself.

Update: made the changes to the public skins.

12. DarkLeach

DarkLeach Well-Known Member Member

I don't think this part of the ASM tag, but I noticed today that there's a ">" above the SSRG Banner on every page. Is that normal?

13. OrdosAlpha

My awesome copy & pasting skills at work. Anyway, fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.