Donnie The Chao SHC Version

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by ArcaniaCQ, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

This hack started out as a special stage hack. However it turned into a hack to showcase some love to a certain news reporter for Sonic Paradox... Donnie.

Make sure to play this blind when you can.

[​IMG]
    Made for #DonnieDay2

So to enter the secret stage go to use the level select and then you have to do this code. B Left Up A A A. Have fun.

Credits and Download:
    Natsumi- Splash Screen and coding.
    CaveQuest- Level Layout, Special Stages, Art and Music.
    LuigiXHero- Music
    LordXernom- Music
    Quirby64- Ring art.
    Tester- SSF1991
    DevEd: Art
    Special Thanks to FireRat, Baraksha and the rest of Team Overload.
    Steam Uploader with Permission: Redhotsonic
    STEAM

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Royameadow likes this.
  2. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

Virtually every single major Donnie reference made in the Livestreams on Twitch that became an actual ROM hack (even though it is nowhere near complete by this point), I think that I speak for everybody when I say that this title definitely will turn into something ever more notable over time, (not sure if I could consider it as such, but) Joke Hacks such as this truly are what we need to view every once in a while, and this one is proof of it entirely.
    Special Stage II is where I had gotten the most laughs, The Sonic Hack Showcase will definitely have a field day with it in the event that this title is presented on the MegaGWolf channel; such a (currently) small ROM hack yet could deliver hours of comical material to it, yep, I consider this to be Joke Hack Trophy material (if it were to be existent in any Hacking Contest), I truly do hope that this improves more and more over time, I truly cannot believe that somebody made my idea from one of his streams a reality (all that we need now is for a playable Donnie in the game, that will seal the nail in the coffin for Best New Character in a Sonic Hack)!

3. ArcaniaCQ

There is just one reference to MegaGwolf (Second Special Stage) And I am planning one for Somecallmejohnny (If you hold A while the title card show up Ghosts and Goblins theme plays). There is going to be more stuff that has to do with donnie. Playable Donnie is something people want. Also MainMemory (Thank you for the idea) came up with the idea of having Donnies Meme Beam Machine as the main screen.

Royameadow likes this.
  4. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

I tried, but I didn't found anything funny in this hack. After what @Royameadow wrote, I expected at least one funny thing. Maybe it's just my lack of sense of humor, but how does a title card change or flashing grass make anyone laugh? I ask seriously. It may be mysense of humor, but fromwhat I've seen on Skype groups, others also don't find it funny at all. I really don't get it. Maybe I'm too dumb to understand this type of humor? Or maybe it just isn't funny and I'm trying pointlessly to find an explaination inside of me? Dunno.

Unused Account likes this.
  5. ArcaniaCQ

It may be your humor or did you even go into the special stages?

6. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

I did, still not funny. Sorry.

kenny0989, HackGame and FохConED like this.
  7. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

This ROM hack, to my knowledge, is simply intended to be based on a whole bunch of inside jokes that were delivered in the comments of his streams at earlier Sonic Hacking Contest installments from XI to XIII, some references include the names of every zone, and Special Stage II being a reference to how much MegaGWolf does not like the Diamond Blocks in the Special Stages (it is presumed that Donnie probably has a similar view on the blocks due to its existence here).
    Toxic Caves' track being in Green Hill and Scrap Brain is more than likely to pay tribute to Donnie's ever so expansive history with being rather good at Sonic Spinball, and I presume that the flashing colours in GHZ are in direct reference to the Chao Reporter that he has in his Profile Icon, as odd and ridiculous as that might happen to sound; either way, it be a rather decent start to what will probably become a rather notable Donnie themed Sonic the Hedgehog, there has been demand for it for the past matter of months, so I am glad to view one being worked on, regardless of how the quality and/or performance may happen to be in the long run, it works for what it's worth.

8. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

I think that for a joke hack, this seems a little under the bar in terms of today's wild and crazy standards.
    It's not bad, and the thought behind it is very nice, but just changing the title cards, slightly modifying the special stage to troll the player, and including some different music doesn't really come off as funny to me, you know?
    Maybe once Donnie is playable and we start seeing some real change from stock Sonic 1 my mind will be changed.

9. ArcaniaCQ

Anyway Thank god this comunity is so helpful with critisism. And ofc yes Donnie will be playable. Note that I am PRIMARY working on my other hack. And moderate the Telephone hack aswell...

10. Donnie Paradox

Donnie Paradox SSF1991 Member

...Holy crap no wonder why the stage is like that.

I actually like Sonic 1's special stages. Well, that is until this hack surfaced. lol

And yeah, a lot of the jokes in the hack are inside ones that would only make since if you've seen my content.

Note that I have no clue what CaveQuest is doing and I'm not involved in development at all. =P

ArcaniaCQ and Royameadow like this.
  11. ArcaniaCQ

I just hope that there is no one going to make memes out of this hack...

Also while Donnie is being the main Character of this hack we actually have some references to other stuff aswell.

Donnie Senpai Zone however was from a video made from a comment by Tails Channel on Twitter aswell as Donatt is also a Tails Channel started thing.

12. ArcaniaCQ

Bump the original post got updated.

13. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

The sentence itself doesn't even make "since" =P

runs

14. ArcaniaCQ

Nono. Lets have fun.

15. ArcaniaCQ

Update out for emulators. Tho that's the end for my work.
    But is it? Find out soon.

16. ArcaniaCQ

5.0 is now out!
    I hope you enjoy!

New stuff:
    Sonic is now replaced with Donnie.
    MegaPCM is installed.
    Modified special stages.
    Easter egg stuff.
    Coins instead of rings.

That's about it really.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  17. Donnie Paradox

Donnie Paradox SSF1991 Member

Why must you mock me? =(

redhotsonic likes this.
  18. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

That new secret zone is pretty hip, I must say. You must have been busy bees when working on it.

ArcaniaCQ and Devon like this.
  19. ArcaniaCQ

That pun! IS TOO STRONG!

There will be a build later this month to fix some common complaints.

20. ArcaniaCQ

Special stages have been remade for this update due to the joke lost it's charm fast. So completely new special stages. Also New start to act 1 of Shut up Donnie Zone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.