[DTP for GC] Roya Rockwood's Sonic Mega Collection

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Royameadow, Mar 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

Roya Rockwood's Sonic Mega Collection; Official Boxart.jpg
    "The world of the original Sonic Mega Collection, Royanized!"

Roya Rockwood's Sonic Mega Collection (ロヤ ロックウッド の ソニック メガ コレクション in Japan) is a 2016 Downloadable Texture Pack (DTP) for the original Gamecube version of Sonic Mega Collection for Dolphin created by the people who make up Royameadow and Co., with lead development for it having been done by Roya Rockwood, the group's original creator and Top Head Administrator.
    It is the first Texture Pack for Sonic Mega Collection to have ever been created and publicly released since emulation for the Compilation title had become available, and presents the capabilities of what can and cannot be modified in the original game's textures as a whole, delivering a virtually overhauled theme for the player to view while going through the menus to play the games and video promotions, read the comics or view the illustrations, and most of all, have a more HD Friendly visual experience while playing the game on a High Resolution Widescreen monitor.

Roya Rockwood's Sonic Mega Collection had started development on March 017 of 2016, being made in conjunction with the Saint Patrick's Day/Evacuation Day festivities, as well as the broadcasting of the Opening Days of NCAA March Madness 2016 on select broadcasting networks, which had made the work on this project rather quick thanks to the impact brought by the energy and influence of the events at the time.
    Because Sonic Mega Collection is very User Friendly in the way that editing the textures happens to be handled, the original Revision 00 build of this pack had only taken a full week (up to March 024, at the latest) to complete and have polished up; subsequent revisions will improve upon the original release by improving the mentioned material that will be left in the To Do list below this description, they will be worked on once easier emulation and liberties of the game become possible on Dolphin.

The theme of this Texture Pack is Royameadow '16, of which happens to be the incarnation of Royameadow and Co. that was made to promote the team during the full 2016 season; each menu screen delivers to the player one of the Co~Head Administrators of the group, while the Menu Box presents all 013 modern Heads and Co~Heads plus two High Notables of the team, spanning from October 02 of 1999 to Present~Time.
    A list of the top commanders who represent each respective menu is listed below this sentence.

~ Game Select Menu: Ashley Belair (アシュリー ベルエア), Royameadow and Co.'s Second in Command (2007), Co~Head Administrator of Royameadow: Neo Generation 0I and Top Head Administrator of Ashumeadow.
    ~ Instruction Manual Menu: Troy Guscott (トロイ Guscott), Royameadow and Co.'s Eleventh in Command (2012), Co~Head Administrator of Royameadow: Generation III and the creator of SuperTNT '94.
    ~ Options Menu: Luna Marie (ルナ マリー), Royameadow and Co.'s Fifth in Command (2010), Co~Head Administrator of Royameadow: Generation II and the provider of the primary channel's Closed Captioning.
    ~ Extras Menu: Terry Sidney II (テリー シドニー II), Privileged Variety Member of Royameadow: Generation II (2009).
    He is one of the team's utmost notable in both Comedy and the Arts, and since 2011, often considered the official mascot of Royameadow: Neo Generation II.

This Texture Pack also assumes that the player is a user of DualShock controllers when using Dolphin, all buttons have been listed below to assure that they are aware of how their controller setup is meant to be mapped.
    The listing for these button mappings is presented in the below legend as "~ Gamecube Button: DualShock Button."; it must be assured that the controller settings are mapped in the way it be presented below to prevent any confusion in how the buttons presented in the menus were meant to function.

~ A: Cross.
    ~ B: Square.
    ~ X: Circle.
    ~ Y: Triangle.
    ~ Left Stick: L03 Pad.
    ~ C Stick: R03 Pad.
    ~ L: L02 Trigger.
    ~ R: R02 Trigger.
    ~ Z: R01 Button.

Screenshots for this Texture Pack are viewable below, they may be changed in Future~Time if the utmost recent revision changes what the player will be viewing.
    Please note that these screenshots were created with the Widescreen Hack enabled and the Aspect Ratio being set to Stretch to Window, rather than Force 16:09; it is also utilizing Dolphin's Free Look Mode, so select objects on screen might be angled or further away than they actually appear in the normal display defaults.

~ Title Screen:

GSOE8P-20.png

~ Main Menu:

GSOE8P-22.png

~ Game Preview Screen:

GSOE8P-21.png

~ Instruction Manual Display:

GSOE8P-23.png

~ Options Menu:

GSOE8P-28.png

~ Controller Configuration:

GSOE8P-26.png

Known bugs with this Texture Pack are mentioned below.
    They will be deleted from the list upon repairing them in future releases, or if improved emulation of Sonic Mega Collection on Dolphin becomes available to users and developers.

Revision 00 Bugs:

~ The banner used for Sonic the Hedgehog 02 is glitched, the Custom Texture Loader apparently causes it to be also loaded on the banner slot for Sonic the Hedgehog 03, even though this is not the case in the original ISO image.
    Given this truth, it will noticed that there are two banner slots that say "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG3", rather than one also saying "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG2" instead, and it is currently unknown if this is capable of being bugfixed at this time.
    ~ The displaying of the manuals, comics and illustrations for this game in all builds of Dolphin up to Version 04.00 Revision 8421 (the build that was used to make this pack) does not allow select pages to load as they were originally intended to, causing the second image in a set to be shown for virtually the rest of the slideshow, so the original Revision 00 release of this Texture Pack will not have the manuals and comics available until this has been resolved in a future release of the emulator, possibly even after Version 05.00 officially comes out.
    In the event that there happens to be Hyper HD (1600p) or Ultra HD (2160p) incarnations of all of the manuals, comics, and illustrations available, then those will indeed be used for optimizing this Texture Pack as much as probable; if those are not available, then the original images will be upscaled into Hyper HD or Ultra HD, or (in the case of the manuals and illustrations) Custom Made material will be made available to replace the original images, which will serve this pack well if that becomes the scenario.

To Do List:

~ Deliver Hyper HD or Ultra HD incarnations of all of the manuals, comics, and illustrations.
    If these are not available in high resolutions, then the originals will be upscaled or custom works will be used instead.
    ~ If it be possible, change the textures that take up the side of the gears and replace the solid colour with the Tile texture that is also used for Royameadow Speedruns.

Download Information:

Below be the Mediafire link to download the Texture Pack.
    Because there will be revisions to this pack, must anybody make Mirrors of it, please update upon release of the utmost recent revision to prevent any dated and/or deprecated incarnation from being available.

~ Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/it82guugxxe165u/Roya_Rockwood's_Sonic_Mega_Collection_(NTSC~U)_[!].rar

Installation Instructions for this Texture Pack are simple.
    Please note that these instructions are assuming that you are resorting to the Dolphin Emulator folder in the My Documents/Documents folder for installing the pack.

~ After downloading the pack, extract it using WinRAR or any RAR file extractor that is compatible with this file.
    ~ Copy or cut the folder that was delivered with the RAR file, which is respectively known as "GSOE8P", and put it in C:\Users\(Insert Username Here)\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures.
    GSOE8P is the official codename that is used for Sonic Mega Collection (NTSC~U) in Dolphin and it is mandatory for this folder to be named as such, it be imperative that none of the file and folder names be modified as well, or else the textures will not load as they were originally intended to.
    ~ After the GSOE8P folder has been pasted into the Load\Textures subsection, boot up Dolphin and load a copy of Sonic Mega Collection (NTSC~U).
    ~ Go into the Graphics Menu, customize the settings to the following presets, these are what were used for testing out this pack.
    ~ Aspect Ratio (found under the General tab): Stretch to Window.
    ~ Widescreen Hack (found under Enhancements): Enabled.
    ~ Load Custom Textures (found in the Utility subsection of the Advanced Tab): Enabled.
    ~ Free Look (found in the same area as Load Custom Textures): Enabled, it is recommended to have this enabled if for exploratory usage in the menus.

Those of whom are using alternate regional versions of Sonic Mega Collection may be able to use this Texture Pack in the alternate incarnations (although it be unconfirmed at the time of this post if the Japanese version is capable of loading the textures in the same form as all International releases, due to the existence of The Ooze and Comix Zone in that particular build of the game).
    The folder and start of every file in the pack will have to have its codename changed to accommodate for the region being used, they are listed below for those who do not know what the codenames happen to be.

~ Europe (PAL): GSOP8P.
    ~ Denmark: GSOP8P.
    ~ Australia: GSOP8P.
    ~ Japan: GSOJ8P.

Once all of this is done, the pack is pretty much all set and ready to go, all that needs to be done beyond that point is to enjoy the ports or conduct Custom ROM Injection via hacking the RAM of of the game after booting up Sonic the Hedgehog 02 (Reference: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=30647).
    Other than that, everything that must be known about this is pretty much available to the disposal of the reader and potential players of this mod; Sonic Mega Collection has not ever obtained as much love up to now, as it has here from this downloadable theme, never in the title's history has it ever gotten such a creation, so the existence of this is somewhat revolutionary, for lack of a better word, the Compilation title truly does deserve more Texture Pack projects and it be decently good to know that this be where it had all started from, perhaps this will wishfully get more people into pursuing Gamecube Art Modding and maybe even allow for more complexly extensive modding of Gamecube ISO images; mods for the Gamecube library are still extremely uncommon in 2016, especially for the many Sonic titles that were made available for the console, so bringing one into the spotlight this way definitely does help give the scene some positive justice and recognition, it truly does deserve this now, provided the fact that a good amount of these titles are over a decade old and have been on the shelf for such a long time, it be a good way for good games to come out of retirement.

With that said, it truly be hoped that those who end up taking this Texture Pack for a spin enjoy what they get out of it, the Royan community definitely does thank this work's audience for even having a view of it, a lot of dedication is put into what the team does and any recognition of it be a win in our books, that truly be what counts.
    In the event that there be any questions on this project or recommendations for improving upon this in the future revisions, then please do not hesitate to deliver what is on the mind about it, any and all questions will be answered as truthfully and respectfully as probable, nothing less than that at all times, that be a guarantee.

Credits:

~ Roya Rockwood: Project Creator, Lead Developer, Texture Editor, Japanese Translator, Art Developer, Performance and Quality Tester, Online Promoter.
    ~ Javier Degirolmo (SiktheHedgehog): Creation of the Project MD (2011) wallpaper that is used for the Title Screen.
    ~ Marc Gordon (Hapisan/Cinossu): Footage of Never Stop Running and Red Sphere that is used in the Sonic the Hedgehog and Blue Sphere Game Preview.
    ~ Team Megamix: Footage of Sonic the Hedgehog Megamix (2011) that is used in the Sonic the Hedgehog Game Preview.
    ~ Pacguy: Footage of Bubsy the Bobcat in Sonic the Hedgehog 02 used in the Sonic the Hedgehog 02 Game Preview.
    ~ Esrael Neto: Footage of Sonic 02 Delta that is used in the Sonic the Hedgehog 02 and Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 02 Game Preview.
    ~ D.A. Garden: Footage of Sonic the Hedgehog 03: D.A. Garden Edition used in the Sonic the Hedgehog 03 Game Preview.
    ~ Dustin Wyatt (SonicTweaker): Footage of Sonic 03K Megamix used in the Sonic the Hedgehog 03 and Sonic & Knuckles Game Preview.
    ~ Tiddles and Co.: Footage of Sonic the Hedgehog 03 Complete Collection used in the Blue Sphere Game Preview.
    ~ VegaLTE: Footage of Master Edition II that is used in the Sonic the Hedgehog 03 & Knuckles Game Preview.
    ~ Utopia UK: Footage of Resort Island that is used in the Sonic the Hedgehog 03 & Knuckles Game Preview.
    ~ Sonic~Cult: Sonic Spinball Prototype Footage used in the Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball Game Preview.
    ~ Retro Extreme: Art that is used in the Doctor Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine Game Preview.

Anywho, folks, enjoy the pack, more will come when the respective time arrives.
    It's Sonic Mega Collection at its finest, visually improved for the second half of the 201X decade and ready for the original adventures of the Classic era once more; it could only get better from here, let's view where the Gamecube Compilation title goes next!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  2. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

It's awesome to see a full on texture hack of Sonic Mega Collection for the first time, but--
    my question is: why?

This is literally a texture pack of you and your friends, which is perfectly fine, don't take me the wrong way, but I don't see why the average joe would want something like this. Plus, to be honest, I'm not sure what all of the random Japanese is about. It just makes everything look confusing to me, not aesthetically pleasing.

Unused Account likes this.
  3. โบวี่

โบวี่ Tsingtao Enjoyer Member

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but the visual art style looks pretty bad from what I can see from the screenshots. Like your logo from the other thread, everything looks stretched out and has the "stretch blur" in it.
    I also want to ask... what's with all the Japanese? I know I I'm one to talk as I used a bit of Japanese text in my hack, but at least it wasn't super overused like shown in the screenshots. I didn't let Japanese text get in the way of menus or anything like that.

Also... The fuck is with that title screen? Mind explaining it a bit to me?

Unused Account likes this.
  4. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

The textures do not look aesthetically pleasing. They are stretched vertically too much and the filters put on the textures don't really make them look good, in my opinion. The textures themselves seem out of place. I personally don't think they belong in a Sonic game.

Also, what's with the Japanese? Not everyone here understands the language, and it just gets in the way for those who don't know the language.

Unused Account and Crimson Neo like this.
  5. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

I agree with Ralakimus on the languages here, not everyone can read Japanese. Wouldn't be better if it might have multi-languages?

6. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

this looks like a experiment of a college student in the early 90's, not any actual work to be proud of in 2016. I mean seriously what the hell is going on with all of this? All of the textures are severely stretched, blurry like its saturday and you drank few dozens of beers, the images are cut off at seemingly random places, random graphics that look like they were taken from a stock graphic website and have nothing to do with anything. Why is any of this a thing?

Unused Account, Painto and Clownacy like this.
  7. Royameadow

So it seems as if all of you appear to have mixed reviews about this, particularly from the aesthetic and language view of matters.
    I gladly will explain each respective issue that you folks have pointed out in full, a lot of what you folks have in concern about the direction that this had taken will definitely be taken into strong consideration in development of the revisions, as mentioned above, I definitely will not ignore your advice at all when dealing with them in Future~Time.

~ Japanese Text:
    Sonic Mega Collection is unfortunately not Multi~Language, not even the Japanese version of the game had Japanese (Katakana~type) text for any of the Menu Banners.
    Similar as to how I have been handling the language direction of MIAA Women's Hockey 2015, if a Menu Banner is capable of getting the Japanese translation in some form, then I will gladly deliver it to that texture in particular, anything to get the game translated as much as possible into its original language; also to add, since 2013, Royameadow and Co. has also been aiming to attract more of a Japanese audience to increase our level of diversity (alongside the fact that the Japanese Sonic Hacking scene is virtually nonexistent, when our forums come into play on the matter), we are not simply a group that wants to have only North America, Europe, and West Asia be our major attractions, East Asia and Oceania are where we are still utmost unpopular, contrary to the fact that a good amount of Royameadow International's members reside in the Far Eastern portion of the world, so it would be a positive for some to be able to know that we are truthfully saying that the Japanese audience and Sonic Hacking scene definitely needs more love and recognition, not everybody there knows Basic English so that was being taken into consideration when I had made this originally; same goes for all of my other works from 2013 to Present~Time, where I have done this; logos that I have made up to now that use Japanese text are more based on how the Final Fantasy logos are made, notice how each of the Japanese logos for the series have the text simply sitting below the main portion of the logo, roughly nobody ever brings it up to the discussion table unless if it is used in a title that is not a Final Fantasy title or one that is not made by Square Enix, for some odd reason, even if the game came out only in its native Japan.

For those wondering, "ROM" is the Game Select, "マニュアル" is Manual, "オプション" is Option, and "エクストラ" is Extra, the simplest that I could translate the words without going overboard.
    The logo text is presented here in virtually the same way that the Japanese version of Sonic Mega Collection was in its covers and Title Screen, you will notice right away that it is translated as accurately as it is capable of getting, no forms of errors or mishaps in it whatsoever.

~ Art Direction: (Bakayote) The Stretch Blur, as you have put it, is actually because of the fact that the majority of the photography and art that I was working with all came from material that unfortunately was not taken in a high resolution originally, a good amount of us here in the state of Massachusetts sadly do not have the luxury of taking photos or making artwork in Hyper HD (1600p) and higher, I am literally one of the only people here in the city of Lynn who actually uses Hyper HD or does Hyper HD upscaling and remastering to prevent pixelation (through means of having to use Gaussian or Focus Blur), and that explains the Stretch Blur of this scenario as well, to assure that there is almost no pixelation while still preserving some quality in the utmost highest of resolutions.
    The Title Screen is a mixture of four things: Project MD (2011) Title Screen's Tron~style grid, the original game's Warped Room felt a little out of place to me, so something a little more 02D was a bit more up my alley for this; the tiling used from the same template that is used for Royameadow Speedruns (as of Sonic Hacking Contest '13/XIII Done Quick), it sadly does not scroll around as optimally as I would have imagined it would be, if only because of the fact that it is not Cylindrical, it is on a flat Horizontal plane instead, which sadly makes it feel not as Cyber esque, as I was going for here; the texture for the White Stars is actually the Pink Heart from the logo made for Royameadow: Generation III, it is present in all of the Loading Screens and here, this was simply to see if the White Star could be changed; the logo has both Ashley and me, she is on the right while I am on the left, the design for how I have our heads here is actually based on the Japanese Super 032X cover for Chaotix, which primarily only shows the characters' eyes and nose, I have ample shock and surprise that nobody has caught that thought since my implementation of this style since 2014, whether it be on the channel or MIAA 2015, that never was explained up to now.

(TheStoneBanana)
    All Night Nippon Super Mario Brothers and select Local Celebrity Themes that were made for the PlayStation 03 were my personal influence for making this Texture Pack, it simply is because they had remade the visual template of the original works using their own visual themes and practices, that be why the Royameadow '16 theme is being used for this, rather than making something more Sonic themed, the fact that I was even capable of making this at all is downright shocking to myself, not even I had expected that I would be able to overhaul the graphics this thoroughly.
    As for the intended audience, mostly fans of the works that my team does will probably get a hold of this if they want a more Royameadow themed version of what they have been playing for years (hence the upcoming Royan Vacation '16 in June); folks that have been longing for another theme to use for Sonic Mega Collection might also get a hold of this as well, I don't expect it, but if people like what they are viewing, then I will not rule that truth out, that truly be a major possibility and I am simply humble enough that somebody would go out of their way to look at what I or anybody else in the team creates, it be the acknowledgement of the creation that counts to me, nothing more or less than that, respectfully.

(Natsumi)
    Funny that you bring up the Cutoff issue, all Gamecube titles (even very lush ones such as Wario World and Twilight Princess) sadly suffer from this issue, the way that it is presented in Sonic Mega Collection is sadly due to the way that the development team of this title had made the tiling, I will gladly fix those in future revisions to optimize on the way that the textures are tiled here; please bear in mind though that I had brought up the Free Look mechanic that is used in Dolphin, and that be for obvious reasons, this theme is meant to be more visually exploratory than (mostly) anything else that I was going for here, and as you might notice, the Free Look mechanic actually is capable of allowing you to view portions of the graphics that the Gamecube did not originally intend for you to be able to look at without a Development Kit or something similar, that is another thing that I had kept in mind while making this, some actually might want to look around the room of each menu and view the textures from different angles or close up..
    Now, you say that this looks as if this was something that one would think might have come out of a school project from the Early 199X decade, you actually are almost spot~on as to what I was attempting to go with during my art approach here; you see, for this entire year, the Royameadow '16 visual template has the years of 1986, 1996, and 2006 in mind with virtually everything that we create, 1996 was the year that I was going for with the art direction in this work, and the fact that you had thought that definitely means that people are indeed guessing which timeframe influences me the most in my works; most of what I do is based on the 198X and 199X decades, I rarely ever get much of any influence from our modern art styles and almost nothing from the Late 200X decade, the '80s and '90s styles are where my team thrive best in our works, 200X and 201X are more like callbacks to these respective decades to me and that is why I do not truly have an attraction with the majority of what has come out from modern works from the past 017 years; 1981 to 1999 was more attractive to me in the revolutionary visual themes and methods than what 2000 to 2016 have done up to now, making a throwback to the previous generations is indeed easier nowadays, but it only be because there is barely any art style or method that is revolutionary in Present~Time, we might not see that until 2020 comes around, and that be what scares me the most out of all of this, who knows what the next decade will have for art in gaming?

8. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

I'm tempted to ask you why you always write what is comparable to a 30-page short story whenever you post, but I won't.

In any event, I share the same opinion as snek (Natsumi). The textures are stretched way too long for any of them to look good, and the fact that you are essentially blaming the hardware for something you're doing wrong is not helping. The only reason those images cut off is because either a) you made them too big for the screen or b) you didn't take the time to get the game to load those pictures well. Also:
    I'm laughing hysterically right now. The game linked to the left never "suffers" from this issue, and I should know because i played the damn thing myself.

Also, one more question for you: You always refer to yourself as "we" and always say "Royameadow and co." when referring to what should be yourself. Who is it that actually works with you on these? I've never seen anyone else say they're partially responsible for helping you make these things...or maybe that's just me being blind.

โบวี่ likes this.
  9. Royameadow

The answer to your first question, Thomas, is simply that I have nothing to hide from responding to something as completely as I am possibly able to without having to leave any questions or comments unanswered, I have absolutely no reason to sugarcoat any details one single bit because of this truth, and it allows for everybody involved to hear me out in as uncensored and uncut of a form as probable, you could probably say that I am similar to some of our US Senators in North America because of the way that I take this on.
    Honesty and Complete Elaboration is not something that I think that a good amount of people take as seriously as it is supposed to be, and that be why I am as complete in my responses as I am necessarily required to, nothing bad ever comes of anybody from telling the truth in full if it be correct, fair, just, and reasonable.

As for your second question: Assuming that you have not ever examined the original texture dumps of Sonic Mega Collection, you would not know that the majority of these textures are cut in extremely odd ways, you also would know that the Background Textures for everything Post~Main Menu are in the Square Image (01:01) Aspect Ratio, this means that images that were originally in Widescreen will be scrunched down to the Square Image anyway; modding the textures in the Gamecube version of Sonic Adventure II: Battle is more than enough proof of that struggle, where most of the textures are all Square Images, and I am using Widescreen textures to keep those who enjoy Anamorphic Widescreen in mind.
    I will not get into a debate about texture loading, given this truth, every texture is placed and tiled differently in their original form, and some are not capable of looping well, regardless of what you do, some textures have to resort to having the Top Starting Point of it begin from the center of the image that is being used, and then the top half of said image would take up the whole bottom half of the texture at hand; going back to Wario World and Twilight Princess when run under the Custom Texture Loader, I have noticed that a lot of the ground and wall textures repeat themselves at odd points, some even loop far more than others and deliver a very odd look when using custom artwork, depending on what is used for each respective one; Sonic Adventure II: Battle suffers the worst from this, I cannot even get certain designs right unless I have four of the same image in a texture and make a pattern out of it.

Happy to answer your question regarding my association with the rest of the team, I never get to talk about the others as much as I must: Royameadow and Co. (originally created as the standalone group Royameadow, the "and Co." came from mergers with now defunct rival groups back in December of 2011) was made by myself alone as a concept back on October 02 of 1999, but it was not officially launched in the Mattapan region of Boston until New Years Day of 2003, I had five other people leading the team and working on projects alongside me (we called ourselves the Royan Original Six in 2004, because of this) and we would recruit our friends from school and around town who would later become other members to work on projects for and with us, most of which would never be viewed in the Online world because we were virtually Offline from 1999 to 2010, we never thought that the Internet would be vitally important to our lives until after Social Media and Video Streaming had become as popular as it had become.
    Across our time from both Boston and Lynn, also including our International members abroad, the team is composed of roughly 12700+ members spanning across the team's first three generations and over 016 years of activity (the member count is over 6000 from my time in Boston from 1999 to 2007, roughly 4500 in Lynn from 2007 to 2016, and about 1200 abroad), at least 072% of those members do their work in the Offline world and at least 3200 of these members are mostly doing their material Online, myself included; I do not treat myself as the only contributor because most of what I do in these projects stems from the assistance and influence of fellow members and my administration alike, it never is a Solo Job at all and must never be treated as such, not even I will solely take full responsibility for a project presented by the team because I treat us all as a unified force, not a divided unity, I refuse to be the only one at the top of the mountain, I want to say that we all made it there together, even if only a few people did roughly 097% of the entire work, everybody truly does deserve their due credit and acclaim and I feel that be how the Yellow Collar industry must be handled, you cannot have a cast of characters without a crew working alongside you building everything up to the final product, that would be difficult and unjust to those who rightfully deserve what they have delivered.

Hoping that helps explain anything that might feel out of place, Thomas, I take my work and team seriously, and I assure you that I know what I am doing by having the entire team be credited, not simply just Roya Rockwood alone, the username of this account would not be Royameadow if that were the case.
    I have a strong sense of love for those that I know and work alongside, they are debatably some of the greatest people that I have ever met to this date, and I owe them a massive lot; the people of Royameadow and Co. will forever be how I credit all of the works presented by this team, followed by the Lead Developer; if I ever am to credit a work as an individual person, then please do note that would mean that the work is Independent of Royameadow and Co. and not affiliated with the group in any way, shape or form, I do not intend to do that at any point, but I have already made that protocol in the event that I ever have to do any works by my lonesome, I do not expect to do so but it be a safe precaution regardless, anything to make the crediting as fair, honest, just, and reasonable as I am probably able to ever make it, that is how work gets done around here and I am not afraid to admit that it works, more people are happy because I use this approach and we all benefit better by it, we never feel unjust for letting everybody obtain their proper acknowledgement for their creations no matter how little or much that be in the end, it works. :)

10. โบวี่

โบวี่ Tsingtao Enjoyer Member

Jesus Christ, could you just summarize everything you say into a somewhat short post? Nobody wants to read that much text on a matter so minor as this.
    It's like you're trying to impress us with how much text you can fit in a single posting, but it isn't working.

You could have easilly said. "Okay ThomasSpeedrunner, The textures are cropped in strange ways when you're editing them and you wouldn't know unless you were editing them. And the reason I credit my whole team is because I have respect for them."
    That's seriously all that was needed.

I'm sorry for bitching but you're really getting on my and a few other people's nerves.

11. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

Considering this is an English speaking forum, I don't think it would be a good idea for people who barely understand English to be attracted here. They wouldn't last very long here.

Also, long walls of text do not automatically mean that they have substance. In my opinion, they are not very fun to read. Just make things concise and straight to the point.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I grew up with the Play Station 2 version myself, but I noticed how the Game Cube version looked nicer in many aspects by comparison. I don't of course play Game Cube games (even on emulation), therefore, I will more than likely never download your texture pack. Of course, having said that, your pack's textures are not particularly my cup of tea.

The "Widescreen Hack" sounds like a good one, but I am led to believe this is mearly a form of stretching, rather than extension of the screen's size, since it would require the games themselves to handle tile drawing to tank into account the large screen width, so I don't know...

13. Royameadow

Sonic Mega Collection Plus was also my introduction to the Compilation titles, circa December of 2005, got the PlayStation 02 version as a Christmas gift from my grandmother, definitely was well worth the investment at the time, since all of my carts (except for Sonic the Hedgehog 02 and Sonic & Knuckles) were either all non~functioning or violently glitched.
    Plus was a good update since it had used the better visual template that was used in Gems, alongside that of the extra content and six of the twelve Game Gear titles, which I definitely appreciate much nowadays when comparing to the Gamecube original; it truly be a shame that it didn't come out for the GC as well, but then again, Sonic Adventure DX kind of makes up for that flaw, assuming that one is crazy enough to get all of the emblems in the first place.

To clarify on stretching factors, Markey, the Widescreen Hack in Dolphin causes all of the in~game models, not including the textures in the foreground, to be less stretched when you have the Aspect Ratio set to Force 16:09 or Stretch to Window; having it disabled will cause you to view the models stretched out at their worst, as if they were set in Force 04:03 and then stretched out to Widescreen.
    For further understanding of what I mean by this, these four example screenshots, two for the Main Menu and two for the Options Menu, depict exactly what happens when you have the Widescreen Hack enabled and disabled; please note that I have Free Look in use for proper positioning of the Menu Box in the Options Menu for this depiction.

Main Menu:

~ With the Widescreen Hack disabled:

GSOE8P-15.png

~ With the Widescreen Hack enabled.

GSOE8P-16.png

Options Menu:

~ With the Widescreen Hack disabled:

GSOE8P-18.png

~ With the Widescreen Hack enabled.

GSOE8P-19.png

14. TheStoneBanana

The difference between your texture pack and something like All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. or the Local Celebrity themes is that the people in them are well known. For this texture pack... well, I mean, it's you and your friends who are virtually unknown.
    Later on in the post, you mention that the intended audience would be fans of your work. This to me is just weird. For example, I do absolutely ADORE VAdaPEGA's art and hacks, but I don't have a photo of him set as my wallpaper to prove it.
    You're a hacker (or game modding enthusiast), not a celebrity.

15. Royameadow

Reasonably put, TSB, although I wouldn't go as far to say that I am not extremely popular or celebrity esque, at least on a Local scale here in Massachusetts, tens of thousands of people know of both about the team and myself in Lynn alone (not including my history in Boston, which is roughly just as massive though, by comparison), both through my time in schools here from 2007 to 2013, as well as my contributions to the city's residents and fellow students here, I've a powerfully positive level of acknowledgement and reception from my contributions and merit in town.
    Your comment on fans mostly wanting to get this pack is also a just and reasonable one, although (in reference to what you say about VAdaPEGA) I will not lie to you about this, you reminded me of myself roughly almost ten years ago: Way back in October of 2006, two months after I was first learning about Sonic ROM hacks and Genesis/Megadrive Homebrew, I had wanted to make a Sonic Hack Collection, based on the template delivered to us in Plus, it was meant to have a whole bunch of popular ROM hacks by those of the scene at the time, and the official avatars of each respective ROM hack's Lead Developer would have replaced one of the characters in the Illustrations section; I might still do that for fun, if both Texture Editing of any version of Plus becomes possible, as well if your tutorial on ROM Injecting becomes easier than having to boot up Sonic the Hedgehog 02 and then edit the RAM every single time that one wants to play another game, that definitely be something that I want to look into in Future~Time, kind of also a way to pay tribute to the best ROM hacks and Homebrew from 1999 to those of Present~Time, the history of the scene is massive enough that paying tribute that way would definitely be lovely if it could be done, that be for sure. :)

16. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

I am stumped that this thread has so many letters placed. Sorry for saying this but the last post you made was probably the only one unless the first post that I could read through simple enough. (Since my main language is not english) I have a hard time reading the others without getting distracted. And I don't like to read that many long posts. Unless needed. However What I could read is a summary on about 20 to 50 Scentences that are pretty short or 10 to 35 long Scentences.

Anyway what do I think of this texture pack. It looks meh. It's not really appealing to me. I don't generally play any games on the Gamecube and I don't emulate any games for it. Sadly I dislike the look of the blur effect of something that looks like it has been made larger in paint. Tho I wouldn't say that it was made in that way but it looks like it. I know for a fact that I dislike that you used the Playstation Buttons other then actual GameCube Controller Buttons on the layout. (Just a nitpick but still) What I would really recomend is that you don't use the Widescreen hack. And the japanese kinda confuse alot of people including me. (Would prefer English or Swedish.)

17. TheStoneBanana

[​IMG]
    Dude, you can just tell me that I made a fair point and that you wanted to make a compilation or whatever.
    You don't need a book the size of a Harry Potter novel to get your point across. :V

18. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

I do agree with TheStoneBanana. There is too long posts where you could just have posted like I do right now. 3 scentences.

19. Royameadow

My apologies, TSB and Ca\/eQuest, it's a force of habit with me, I cannot help but say what be on my mind as much as possible.
    Astrologically, being the 02 of Clubs, Conversation is a Hot Spot with me, every talk that I have is like an interview, sometimes I go on for long periods of text or time before somebody else could respond, lengthy talking comes naturally to me that I usually am uncut as much as I am in this thread outside of here, it's how I grew up over the past two decades and change.

A Gamecube Controller Friendly version of the button textures will definitely be made in revisions, same thing goes for Xbox Controller users as well, so that they don't feel left out, anything to make the pack as diverse as probable.
    Making multiple languages available definitely will be kept in mind for future revisions as well, the Japanese text will stay as the primary text used in the pack, but an English incarnation will be made available for those that would prefer that, might also add in other languages such as Spanish, Swedish, Russian, and Korean as well for the official Sonic Hacking Contest XIV Online revision, provided how easy it be to change up the language of the banners; I won't be able to guarantee that for the Menu Boxes and Game Preview text though, editing those are a pain to do right now and sadly result in glitched text, but the Menu Banners will be simple enough, not much to worry about there.

20. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I'm going to be totally honest here with you, mate. Members don't mind the odd one or two huge posts if it's necessary, but making every one of your posts too big is just tiring. Want an example?

Whereas those screenshots you have posted looks pretty interesting (they're slightly large by the way; can you descale them?), I actually haven't read any of your text, simply because I cannot be bothered. It may just be my laziness, but when I see (disregarding your post directly above mine) every one of your posts really big, is it really worth my time reading?

You need to cut down on your words a bit, it's just too much. And if there are times when you just cannot help but make a huge post (because it's necessary or need to get several points across), how about making a "tl;dr" summary afterwards? That way, people may start talking about the actual thread, rather than discussing about your long posts.

This isn't a warning as such, it's advice. But if huge posts keep happening over and over and over, then we may have a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.