Gorbichev's Revenge

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by qiuu, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qiuu

qiuu Well-Known Member Member

[​IMG]
    Gorbichev is back... and he's pissed.
    Gorbichev's Revenge is a 2 player battle hack based on the Sonic Boom engine.

• Pit Sonic and Gorbichev against each other in brutal high speed combat
    • Choose from 6 arenas in a facelifted Power Plant Zone
    • Configure your Gorbichev attacks for a personalised hedgehog busting combo
    • Balance your game for any skill level with a range of battle options
    Credits:
    qiuu - programming & design
    snkenjoi - programming & design
    iojnekns - art & design & writing this post
    MKAmeX - Gorbichev's art
    DalekSam - title theme
    Everyone who contributed to Sonic Boom

Menu Controls

Up/Down: Select option
    Left/Right: change option
    To swap controllers: both players have to select 'Swap Controllers' and one player has to press start
    To start the game: both players have to select 'Ready' and one player has to press start

Download: see next post

2. iojnekns

iojnekns OBAMA '012!!!!1!!!!!&#33 Member

[​IMG]

Controls (Sonic)

In the air and in a ball;
    -Flying Kick (A) Cost: 5 rings
    -Double Jump (B)
    -Diagonal Dash (C) Cost: 2 rings
    -Dive (Down) Cost: 1 rings

in the air and not in a ball;
    -AirRoll (Go into a ball) (Down)

On the ground and running/standing;
    -Walk/Limit Speed (Hold A)

On the ground and rolling;
    -Stand up (Up)

Online Play
    The hack is built to be played on hardware, so that you can look your opponent in the eyes when you crush them. Playing on emulator is always an option but please be aware that players using the same keyboard may run into keyboard ghosting issues - this shouldn't be a problem for players using gamepads. If you are playing alone, online play is possible with the use of Netplay. To facilitate online play, we have set up a matchmaking channel on irc.badnik.net #revenge, so that people can find opponents to battle with. Those with issues with port forwarding should try Hamachi and are encouraged to use the Hamachi network we have set up in the matchmaking channel. Please, come join us! (and prepare to die)

Development
    The idea for Gorbichev's Revenge has been around for some time - it was first concieved when qiuu, snkenjoi and I met up several years ago and the devious duo ported the titular boss fight to Sonic CD with a rudimentary two player mode. Since then, the concept has stuck with me. Still working hard on Sonic Boom but with quite a way to go, I proposed to snkenjoi and qiuu that we revive the idea, arbitrarily to celebrate the 6 year anniversary of Sonic Boom's release. The hack came together over the course of a month or two, and turned out to be amazing fun. We hope you enjoy playing it as much as we enjoyed making it!

Download

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015
  3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Was playing a bit of this yesterday, and thought I'd best put the video that I did of this here:

Link

4. Omniviewer

Omniviewer Newcomer Member

I keep thinking of Mikhail Gorbachev the Arch Traitor.....

Maybe you will Mod your Mod so we can Stomp his Birthmarked Head through the Floor? LOL :D

5. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Would you prefer a giant Vladimir Putin instead?

6. Omniviewer

Omniviewer Newcomer Member

He's irritating but I don't Hate Putin in the same way I Despise Gorby. :)

7. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

Now, having played this title since its original release as a Timed Exclusive on Sonic Retro, I personally do enjoy going about with finding folks in my local area to play this with, it truly be a powerfully memorable experience for all that have come across it up to now.
    Since its debut, I have about 027 to 040 people playing this in Lynn, Massachusetts, primarily during Friday Night and Weekend Hangouts, I truthfully do feel that it be a lovely way to pass the time and also get more people into the flow of playing the Boom franchise yet again, I missed the original title being in the spotlight and I am extremely glad with the way that this has been presented, it truly works well despite some of its glitches in the matter of the physics and it definitely bears a lot of replayability in the long run, which be why I constantly play this locally with fellow members in my team, almost as much as my weekly sessions of NBA Jam (plus TE) and NBA Hangtime (plus Maximum Hangtime), now that I think of it.

Sonic Boom (2009): Gorbichev's Revenge sadly bears one fatal flaw in its presentation, and I personally admit that Sonic Bash! also suffers from the same trouble as well, the lack of a Customizable Computer Player truly does kill the local experience for me and I personally feel horrible that this title lacks that entirely, that was a Make or Break in giving this ROM hack the utmost highest of rankings that I ever deliver to any project (the UH rank, to be exact), making this more like an Arcade title that requires a Mandatory Two Player game to be purchased definitely will push away people that do not want to do Local Battles or take the Kaillera route.
    While I am personally able to understand why Sonic Bash! could not properly have that for its respective Revision 00 release at Sonic Hacking Contest XIII, Gorbichev was programmed to be fought against as a CPU Opponent in the original Sonic Hacking Contest VI and VII releases of Boom, which makes me wonder massively why Human versus CPU and CPU versus CPU Battles were not made available for Gorbichev's Revenge in its respective Revision 00 release; this truly was a missed opportunity for the game and I ultimately feel that future builds of Sonic Boom (2009), assuming that the final product will have Gorbichev's Revenge available as a part of a more expanded Multiplayer Versus Mode, having the ability for a Human player to take on the CPU as either Sonic or Gorbichev or even watch two Computer players duke it out in a Supreme Demonstration definitely will add massively to the replayability in the long run, and if it be probable to implement without much error and/or setbacks, then I would definitely say to those in SÆGA to go for it and make it a reality, I am more than positive that a lot of players would love the availability of a Human versus CPU or CPU versus CPU gameplay mode, I do not feel as if I be the only one who thinks that this would serve well to its legacy as it ages, and it definitely is not a radical idea at all, many Fighting and Sports titles have done it in the past with little to no error (Mortal Kombat II's Soak Test and RBI Baseball 04 to '95 being prime examples of this completely).

Another factor that I feel be a trouble, although rendered debatable amongst my fellow members that play GR, is the lack of the ability to use the Six Button Controller for Gorbichev, and I say this solely because he does happen to have major difficulty imbalances against Sonic depending on what the player sets the Three Button ability set to.
    If you are an Aggressive Type player, then you will often be expected to have abilities that prevent Sonic from truly being able to avoid attacks often, while Passive Type players that use Gorbichev will have an extremely hard time knocking down Sonic's ring count in lengthy battles because he has to rely solely on keeping his distance from Sonic and only do Close Range attacks, I have experienced these issues First Hand through countless amounts of battles where I have attempted to view if playing with All Passive or All Aggressive abilities make a battle have a surefire victory on a specific end at all times; now, bear in mind, Sonic's ability set in the Boom franchise is almost as or even more vast than that of Megamix (2008), he and Gorbichev have at least seven or eight abilities that they both have at their disposal, and in the Sonic Hacking Contest VII build for Sonic Boom (2009), both characters had used their entire ability set, or at least almost all of the abilities that were at their disposal, and that be why I feel that Six Button Controller support needs to be implemented, to allow for the player controlling Gorbichev to not just have a more diverse ability set, but also be able to duke it out with Sonic without the worry of having difficulty in attacking or defending as the big blue ball with eyes.

Everything mentioned here was also talked about in part during my commentary of this title in Sonic Hacking Contest XIII Done Quick ~ Missed Opportunities, so in the event that you do hear this from me in that particular marathon upon its release, please do bear in mind that anything mentioned in that was from an earlier date in January, but my opinion on these factors have expanded since and the above mentioned be how I personally feel about this title and where it must go now, in the event that it turns into something more through means of an amalgamation with Sonic Boom (2009) in Future~Time, so wishfully, bringing up this now will benefit the title's project in the upcoming months and years, it truly deserves to deliver the best experience known probable to its players and fanbase.
    Also, since it be relevant to the title, I had made a Japanese Launch Trailer for both this and Sonic Bash! in the same video on my group's primary channel, while it was still a Sonic Retro exclusive, I feel that having it here will allow for more to get used to what to expect in the gameplay, partially broken translations from English to Japanese aside; the link to the Launch Trailer is available below, for the sake of convenience, GR starts at exactly the 00'34 mark, truly had a fun time working on this over the course of November 04 of last year, I need to make more of these for major ROM hacks more often. :)

~ Sonic Bash! and Sonic Boom (2009): Gorbichev's Revenge: Official Commercial (JP):

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  8. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

There's a saying that it's wrong to criticise something for what it wants to be, rather than how well it achieves being what it wants to be. That said, is it really right to criticise a hack meant for multiple human players for not featuring AI?

Misinko likes this.
  9. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

I apologise personally if I accidentally made any back~handed comments above, that definitely was not the intention here at all, not by any probable means of the term.
    Again, when it came to the matter of the lack of being able to take on a Computer player, it had made it a bit difficult to truly present a full~on Single Player experience, as some players, myself included, had expected that it would (possibly) have upon its original release, some of us hadn't expected that it would only have a Human versus Human experience to work with in general gameplay, and that could hurt the overall experience for those that cannot find a Player 02.

The reason for as to why I do not judge it more than I currently do is because this is a Revision 00 build, there definitely could be more that might be implemented into this if the people who make up
    SÆGA intend to go further than what they have presented here in later rereleases, and the lack of something such as a Human versus CPU mode is acceptable for a first release if it was not able to be implemented right away.
    I only talked about this in the way that I had above because Gorbichev was made as a CPU opponent in the Sonic Hacking Contest VII build of Sonic Boom (2009), and the lack of that here had kind of caught me off guard, if only because I was used to duking it out with him in Power Plant Zone Act II over the past six years and change, and while I do love being able to control the big blue ball with eyes, it feels off to me when I want to do a Single Player match in GR and the only way that I could do so is control both him and Sonic at the same time, which definitely is not easy to do alone without making a Tool~Assisted input file for this game in either BizHawk, Gens032 Surreal, or Gens Rerecording; again, I am not against the fact that this game was primarily meant to be one for Local and Online Two Player action, I just feel that a Fighting title of any form, especially if it were an Arcade exclusive, would suffer massively in the long run if all that one player could do was Human versus Human matchups, that be the argument that I am attempting to deliver here; now, don't get me wrong, Gorbichev's Revenge is superb in what it delivers to the players and its respective audience, but the lack of Human versus CPU battles will definitely be a rough patch with select players and reviewers if later revisions do not have this available in Future~Time, but I will not judge that if it be far too difficult for those in SÆGA to code a (fixed or nearly randomized) Computer player, regardless of the character, this be merely only a suggestion for things to add in at this time; if this were an Arcade title, then I probably would have an extremely different mindset on this factor, but provided that this is a Megadrive work and debatably one of the best overhauls of 016 Bit Sonic the Hedgehog 02 of All~Time, any limits or troubles that SÆGA has in its development is understandable and forgivable to me, I will not ever deliver a negative review on this title or Sonic Boom (2009) because of what they are unable to do at a given point in time, matters such as the above mentioned are primarily being discussed to talk about what could be improved upon to make the game as optimal as it is capable of becoming, I feel that be a reasonable approach to this on my part, and hey, if it helps out in optimizing the title in the long run, then I am more than happy to have brought it up, at least that's how I view it, no major angry words here at all. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.