Hacktube

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback Archive' started by Spanner, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Okay, I know that Qjimbo is away to Spain and after that he's moving to Canada but I think this needs to be brought up again.

Looking at Hacktube, there seems to be an increase in rather poor hacks being available. Things like shitty palette hacks with recolours and ASM modifications using public guides is what I mostly see now. Right now, anyone with an account can upload it and it will be online as soon as possible. This isn't good, because anything goes. I'm suggesting that Hacktube becomes monitored by people who can test the hack with the emulator and decide if it's fit to be shown on the SSRG. If they approve of it, then it goes online. Otherwise the system is just gonna be overflowed with silly hacks, which most of them don't appear on the forums.

That's all I have to say, I'd like some opinions on this.

2. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I talked with him some time ago about this (in the middle of April I guess). This is what I got:

Welll, no offensive Qjimbo, but you never really sorted it out. =P

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
  3. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

Ojimbo promised to add the ability for Hacktube-Moderation--but not implented yet, I think. There'll be some Hacktube moderators, which--as said--test and approve hacks. But I recommend to move the poorly hacks to the "Beginner Hacks"-section. If someone uploads it to the wrong section, and the one, who is uploading the hack knows that this hack--what he uploaded--is poor, he will recieve a warning. And there's a suggestion I would like to throw in: Before a Hacktube-moderator is approving the hack, they will make a review, too. Instead of those little, not much information giving-descriptions, the Hacktube-moderator would make a review, too--that their job isn't that boring. :)

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

Yeah you're right it is getting out of hand but in my defence I have been incredibly busy lately, however I'll create a hacktube moderator group today. The staff controls for hacktube are a bit limiting at the moment, and I was hoping to create a "reason for deletion" field but I simply haven't had the time.

---Edit---

SonicVaan is our first hacktube moderator! I have added the ability for staff to add a reason for deletion to help prevent reuploads by authors who wonder why their hack was deleted.

As for moderation before going online, I don't agree with that, since it creates a lot more work and is generally not the way most modern websites work, such as (obviously) Youtube and Wikipedia for example.

5. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Poor hacks could be binned completely. If they're shit, they're not worth existing on Hacktube.

Also the members could have some opinion such as how YouTube's flag system works.

6. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I think that moderating them in advance would be preferable, but at least this is something. Nice work.

Maybe add a routine that checks the crc of incoming hacks to see if it matches the crc of a deleted entry.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

...HackTube Moderator? Really? Where are all your normal staff members, exactly? Why aren't they doing anything? Seriously, this is completely beyond me; ignoring the fact that it only takes one person to delete a couple of bullshit entries and that the thing doesn't get that much activity, what the hell is the point in a dedicated moderator? It's like it's just another usergroup made for the sake of it.

Man, whatever. I'm starting to understand less and less of the shit I see happen around here.

8. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

They seem to be quiet busy in their real-life. As you can see on the news-forum they're busy with college stuff, etc.

Come on, Qjimbo is very busy and the staff isn't here. It's better than no one cares about Hacktube. Might be right that there's only one user needed but what's if the one is busy, too?

As said, a moderator cares for a well-sorted Hacktube. I don't know if you have seen it yet, but here are much users who uploads hacks without ever having posted something on the forums. And most of their hacks are creepy or on a beginner-based level.

9. Qjimbo

I can't actually moderate hacks Tweaker, since downloading each hack on this connection takes forever at the moment. Once I'm back on a fast connection that won't be an issue, but right now, moderating 10 hacks (assuming each is 1mb or 2mb) would take about an hour, as opposed to 5-10mins.

I agree the staff have forced me into doing this with their lack of activity on here, and I hate adding usergroups, so please don't believe this is for the sake of it; I would hope that the fact I've deleted Oldbie etc. demonstrates my attitude towards useless groups.

Considering SonicVaan and future moderators would be helping me out, I think it would be unfair for them to put the time in without any sort of recognition, so I don't see anything wrong with the group in this case.

p.s. I like that CRC idea nineko, I might just put that on.

10. shadowbeasts

shadowbeasts I'm Legend Member

Ya I agree with that CRC idea, at least the same hacks won't be uploaded over and over again. I mean I've seen Lola The Night Fox In Sonic 2twice. Darkhog well that's two different hacks that I'm helping with, but I'm just fixing the shading. That was of-topic sorry. Anyway I don't really have anything to do hacking wise (yes I'm working on the 20th anniversary hacks but I'm on break.) So I'd be happy to help and be an Hacktube Moderator. (I'm on almost very day it's tabbed with all my main tabs. B))

11. iojnekns

iojnekns OBAMA '012!!!!1!!!!!&#33 Member

This is some kind of joke right?

Okay, I'll start off by pointing out why I'm laughing.

Lets examine the motives of the three supporters of this idea.

SonicVaan, who's just effectively had his internet-penis enlarged, surprisingly thinks this is Wow, such a great idea! Completely unbiased viewpoint there.

shadowbeasts, who made this topic so that he might have a more interesting title than "Member" without actually doing anything remarkable or useful, and then graciously volunteers in this thread. Such selflessness! Pure objectivity!

Qjimbo - who is clearly not going to make a change and then say "I've just made a stupid change." After all, he is running around pandering after you lot, with your inane suggestions.

Even if there IS call for an entirely new "member of staff" to govern hacktube (apparently staff at the moment are stretched and overworked, the poor things,) why is that anything to do with these forums and why do they need that little tag under their name?

I hope you enjoy your circle jerk.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
  12. shadowbeasts

first off are you trying to make a point or just laugh ;)? Second I'm just saying since I suck at hacking this is something I could do instead. ;)

13. Qjimbo

If you haven't noticed, hacktube relies on the forum database. The staff checker script on the site checks the users forum membergroup, so I simply created a new one.

Everything else you've said has already been explained in my previous post. I also want to point out that I don't have any authority over who is staff and who isn't, so staff aren't going to be demoted for absense by me anyway.

14. iojnekns

iojnekns OBAMA '012!!!!1!!!!!&#33 Member

You sound exasperated and I'm conscious that I must present myself as a continual nuisance and you are always nothing but gentlemanly in response. I fully accept your reasoning and whilst I didnt know explicitly about hacktube relying on the forum, I assumed that something like this was the case. My issue is merely with the big colourful banners under the avatar which everyone competes for. It just smacks of school leavers celebrations, where teachers try in vain to invent a million pointless awards so that no-one is left out. To be honest, it wouldnt sound so ridiculous if it werent for the other two flapping around you like children and undermining your stance through their own unquenchable lust for that shiny Hacktube Moderator title.

Respectfully yours

Always and forever

iojnekns

xxx

PS.

This isn't Byker Grove. He/They/We are not here to provide you with something to do after school for crying out loud. Its as though you think a job will be created just so you don't get bored!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
  15. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Then who else approved of SonicVaan?

There's been a lot of sole decisions made around here, then again the rest of the staff are busy.

16. Oerg866

Oerg866 Well-Known Member Member

you guys are so cool...

Even though I really like SonicVaan and all, I don't think he's going to be the best choice as moderator. Time will tell if it was a wise move.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2009
  17. shadowbeasts

It's not just to give me something to do after school. It's so I can do something besides just hacking and homework. That plus there are only six full days of school and a week of finals so ya I need something to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2009
  18. Ollie

Ollie Well-Known Member Member

Wouldn't some sort of "Digg" system work here?

I mean, all the decent hacks will get bumped up depending on they're score while all the riff-raff get bumped down due to how many people dislike it. After so many people dislike a hack it'll be deleted.

Just my idea anyway.

19. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

I like it, apart from the deletion by digs shit. I think it should be that when so many people dislike it, it should then be reviewed by the Hacktube Staff to decide if it should stay or not.

20. voice

voice Well-Known Member Member

I think a system like the QDB would be more useful where hacks are listed in order of their popularity. Then you could do like a Top 25 hacks, Bottom 25 hacks, 25 Newest hack submissions, ect...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.