Help

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by MarcHeghog420, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcHeghog420

MarcHeghog420 Newcomer Member

Hello

I was recently looking for hacking tutorials .Youtube found no tutorials searching how to make a sonic hack on google did nothing just links to the sonic retro homepage .Sonic retro did have tutorials but i have never made i hack before so its a bit too complicated anyone know any sites that have hacking tutorials for dummies ? Thank you for taking your time reading this if you can answer my question please do have a nice day :D

2. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Click me to learn how to set up a disassembly and stuff

Click me to see a guy who made hacking videos's channel

3. JustANewbie

JustANewbie Well-Known Member Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2010
  4. DanielHall

5. JustANewbie

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2010
  6. DanielHall

You don't understand: he wants to set up a split disassembly :D

7. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Learn to type properly, and most importantly, learn fucking proper English.

8. MarcHeghog420

MarcHeghog420 Newcomer Member

And you sir have some respect .

9. JustANewbie

Hey, the101homer, which game do you want to hack? Sonic 1, Sonic 2???

10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

He does? He hasn't mentioned the word "disassembly" at all.

the101homer, A highly recommended way of modifying roms would be to use what we call a "split disassembly", it is a recreated source code to the game which can be changed much more easily.

Click here, this is a guide for setting up a split disassembly for Sonic 1, there are other disassemblies available for other Sonic games, but the amount of disassemblies are limited.

Of course another way is to edit the rom itself without the use of a disassembly, but that can be harder. Though I'm sure there are still guides around for rom modification, you may also be interested to know of some tools, while I don't recommend all tools, some have major uses.

11. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

And, you sir, can have a nice long suspension. Fucking wiseass, having the gall to report an admins post because said admin called you up on your ineptitude to use the English language. Only for said admin to get the e-mail regarding reported post. Not an intelligent thing to do, you fucking idiot.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2010
  12. SamplingMastersNix

SamplingMastersNix 64-bit Sonic Hacking Novice Member

About the tutorials, unless you have a reading problem, Sonic Retro and this site will be of assitance. Qjimbo's tutorials, well, you'll find them helpful, too, because he gives you the basics in ROM modifications across Genesis/Megadrive Sonic titles. He has two tutorials on Assembly editing, geared towards porting the spindash to Sonic 1, however. Aside from that, most tutorials are basically editing the .asm files. My advice, brush up on your reading and be sure to read the entire article, especially the requirements of the tutorial and the technical procedures. One minor mistake and the ROM will fail to build.

Good luck with your build, and check your spelling before you post. Don't worry, you can take your time with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2010
  13. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

14. JustANewbie

Hanoch, you are a genius!

15. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

This is the point. Like Ordos, I can't understand a miserable piece of what the101homer mean with this that he said. I'm sorry for not help, but I can't understand exactly what is the objective of the question. And I'm not able to decipher what he wants because he has written in an improper english.

16. MicroChirp

MicroChirp Wow, I was so stupid a few years ago... Member

I can only say: I totally agree with eduardoknuckles!!!

17. MicroChirp

Sorry for double post, but I think he wants some tutorials that aren't "a bit too complicated".

18. SamplingMastersNix

SamplingMastersNix 64-bit Sonic Hacking Novice Member

Here's my suggestion, I would like Qjimbo to make some more video tutorials for the neophytes. Here are some suggestions for future videos:

• SMPS Music Editing (In this segment, I would like for him to show how to work with a hex editor to make music for the Sonic 1 Split Disassembly. And, to help him with this segment, I'm probably going to make a follow-up video tutorial on how to test your music in Oerg's SMPS Player. One problem, I don't have any way to log footage on my computer. Any freeware AVI Loggers I can use?)

• Sonic 1 Special Stage Editing (In this segment, I would like for him to demonstrate how to use Mercury's S1SSE Utility)

• SonED2: Importing Level Art (In this segment, I would like for him to demonstrate how art importing works by answering the "how's" and "why's" of importing level art)

• SonED2: Applying Solids (In this segment, I would for him to follow up on the above tutorial suggestion by explaining the need for solids and how to implement them)

• SonED2: Tips in Level Design (In this segment, I would like for him give designers things to consider in level design. For example, should I make badniks to rings/powerups a 50-50 ratio, or should I make the level so one false step will cost the player a life? What about, should I consider fixing any solidity glitches that can kill Sonic? Stuff like that.)

If Qjimbo agrees to do this, it's because we're gonna encourage him and give him support by assessing the compications that we would like for him to sort out to make the tutorials easier to understand. How about it, are you with me?

19. MicroChirp

You can use Cam Studio for logging the videos.

20. DanielHall

Only 33302 mins left, and he's on a roll.

BTW: Should I do video tutorials?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.