How to get auto fill to work wish XM3SMPS, copy paste from Sonic Sanctuary =P

Discussion in 'Tutorials Archive' started by Irixion, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Original Guide posted at the old Sonic Sanctuary. If anyone has any other guides backed up on their computers PM me.

I made this guide (Irixion). It was originally posted at the Sonic Sanctuary, but since this place is lacking and the guides on SS are gone, I thought I'd post it here. Credit me when using this. ;) Enjoy!

What you will need:

ModPlug Tracker

XM3SMPS (V 3.3.2.)

This is relatively simple.

[​IMG]

Open your XM/MIDI in MPT tracker and you should see this.

[​IMG]

Go into the 'Patterns' Tab. We'll do the first channel here so you get the gist of this. Check what the first channel is (Or in this case what you want to assign it to. For the sake of the guide, we'll pretend that 'Channel 1' is 'FM1', which we want to be the BASS channel.

[​IMG]

Now, go back into the 'General' Tab. On the left, in the area outlined by the red box, put in FM1. Now if you go back into the 'Patterns' Tab, you see that 'Channel 1' is now 'FM1'.

Now, you would want to repeat the process for EVERY channel, renaming it to either DAC, PSG, Noise, and so on.

After you've completed the process, save the xm, and open XM3SMPS. Open your XM. Under General Parameters, click the 'Auto Fill' Box.

[​IMG]

As you can see here, the channel that we assigned works. If you have any trouble post in this topic ;) Thanks!

Oerg's 'fixes'

FM-Channels:

FM1

FM2

FM3

FM4

FM5

FM6 (Note: Only available if there's no DAC)

PCM Samples:

DAC (DAC, or drum samples)

PSG Channels:

PSG1

PSG2

NOISE (Note: This is for the Hi-Hats/Noise channel)

PSG3 (Note: Only available if there's no Hi-Hat channel)

Enjoy the guide, credits go to me for making this, and nineko for telling me how the process works. (Oerg also)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
  2. Oerg866

Oerg866 Well-Known Member Member

Better late, then never, but this guide is not fully correct, and it's not always trivial what you are saying, for example, if melody and bass notes are mixed in the channels. Also newbies may not understand how the numbering scheme works. Plus, there's a mistake on how the channels should be named.

Here's the namings:

FM-Channels:

FM1

FM2

FM3

FM4

FM5

FM6 (Note: only if there's no DAC)

PCM Samples:

DAC (For the drum samples (or other PCM Samples))

PSG Channels:

PSG1

PSG2

PSG3 (Note: Only if there's no Hi-Hat channel)

HATS (This is for the Hi-Hats) ; Irixion has a fatal mistake there, the hi-hat channel is NOT called Noise, it's called HATS.

A full-blown song with all possible FM and PSG channels, plus Drums and Hi-Hats used at the best arrangement would have:

FM1; FM2; FM3; FM4; FM5; DAC; PSG1; PSG2; HATS

If you have to change the pitch with mixed-channels, you have to use ModPlug Tracker to do that to that exact instrument.

Oh, come on, make it trivial. "Pretending" will get new users nowhere if they have to label a new song.

So, use FMx for the melodics, DAC for the Drums, PSG for more "beepy" sounds , and HATS for the hi-hats.

Yours,

Oerg866

3. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

WRONG

The noise channel can be called either "Hats" or "Noise". Try things by yourself before claiming someone is wrong.

4. Irixion

I lol'd. Oerg, if you can do better then make your own guide, and don't say mine sucks. So you can shut your mouth plz k thnx.

The guide works well enough, ergo, it's correct.

Edit: Yay 100th post :V

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
  5. Tarheeltim

Tarheeltim Active Member Member

The challenger lifted off, ergo, it's correct.

6. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

IIRC Nineko already explained how this was done in the xm3smps topic. If not, well, meh.

7. Oerg866

Oerg866 Well-Known Member Member

Odd, Noise is not working for me.

Plus, you have to admit, his guide was horribly incomplete and too specific to be useful for newbies.

kenny0989 likes this.
  8. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Not possible, at least not in version 3.3.2:

Code:
    xtmp(1) = 0

xtmp(2) = 0

For yo& = 1 To qqq&

If UCase$(Trim$(snam(yo&))) = "HATS" Then xtmp(1) = xtmp(1) + 1: xtmp(2) = yo&

If UCase$(Trim$(snam(yo&))) = "NOISE" Then xtmp(1) = xtmp(1) + 1: xtmp(2) = yo&

Next yo&

If xtmp(1) > 1 Then GoTo 75892739 Else xnoise = xtmp(2)
    As you can see, the line that checks for "HATS" and the line that checks for "NOISE" are identical. So if it doesn't work then you're doing it wrong.

9. Irixion

Oerg, i will say this again. If you can do better then do so. If you can't (which you can't because you're doing it wrong), then by all means shut the fuck up.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

The attitudes in this topic are fucking disgusting. No wonder nobody ever bothers to put any effort into helping people around here.

11. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

I agree with Tweaker here.

Irxion, Oerg never said your guide sucked, he merely suggested some corrections. Why are you so against this? We have to collaborate here, that's the purpose of this forum after all.

12. Irixion

A revision has been made. I've fixed the broken images, and made a few adjustments to the guide.

It's correct but the fact oerg was saying it was not only incorrect but "wasn't useful" made me snap. It's his fault for using an old version =P.

I've used this guide. It works, 'nuff said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.