Looking for some help

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by nineko, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Hello. As you probably know, I've been working on a hack of Sonic 1, which goes by the name of soniNeko.

It is mainly a music hack with some asm features and few other minor changes; what it really misses, though, are new layouts. While I'm fairly good at making layouts for Sonic 2 (since it uses smaller tiles), I'm terrible at making layouts for Sonic 1, because of its huge 256x256 tiles. You all can see the results of this in my hack: Good Morning Zone's layout is... less than good *cough*

For a long time I thought to stop there and call it a day, and I said that soniNeko 1.1 was going to be the final version, but I'm seriously feeling the need to give it some new good layouts to increase the variety.

Do you think it's a good idea to add custom layouts in soniNeko?

The main problem with them is that if they're not done correctly they are even worse than playing the original layouts. I suck at layouts, ok, but it would be at least funny if I ask for help and I get even worse layouts. I've been looking at the layout hacks of Sonic 1 currently in the works, and I have to say that I'm not really impressed, to be honest.

I realise that it's almost impossible, but I might as well ask: is there anyone here who would be willing to make 18 new GOOD layouts for me? "Good" at my own discreption of course. And by 18 I mean all the layouts in Sonic 1 (GHZ, MZ, SYZ, LZ, SLZ, SBZ) except for Final Zone and Good Morning Zone.

This offer is valid also to people who are working on a layout hack but don't know how to change the music or something: in this case, rather than "please give me some help", I'd simply say "join the team" ;) ; in both cases you're going to get full credit.

I'm willing to do something in exchange of course, I can probably help you port a song, I guess.

Well, I'm curious to see how this will turn. I hope I can get some serious help here. And sorry if I insist on the "quality control" line, but as I said, I prefer the original layouts over bad ones. If I'm given the chance to choose, I'd love to have a single person to join this project and make all the 18 layouts (or allow me to use the ones he was going to use in his layout-only hack), but I'm definitely open to casual contributions.

One last note, those layouts should keep in mind the special monitors available in soniNeko.

If this turns out to be a bad idea, I'll ask a moderator to lock/trash this; however, I seriously hope to get some good results here ;)

Thanks in advance for your time and your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  2. Sephiroth

Sephiroth WHY SO CURIOUS?!? Member

I personally would love to see more added to soniNeko. If you get some good layouts done, then it would be fantastic. Also, if you want to use 128x128 mappings, you are probably going to have to just port everything to S2, and do the work there. If you were able to get it to work, I doubt, like you said, that you would be able to find a workign editor for the levels.

3. Centurey

Centurey Well-Known Member Member

I'd love to see personalized layouts in Sonineko. I would try and help, but right now, I have a cold, so I cant go on my basement PC, and and also, its my basement PC, so it is probably not hooked up. Unless you can get me set up with WINE on my Intel mac (my computer), I couldn't. (BUT I WANNA!)

EDIT: Or you can use some of the layouts in my hack. I dont care. I can send you the latest version, but i have my gay palettes. I also have no idea how to change music in my hack, because I suck at life like that.

4. nineko

Right, just to clarify, I'd prefer to get new layouts rather than switching to the 128x128 tile system. Now I regret adding that line to my original post, so I just deleted it as it was derailing this thread. Changing the tile system is the plan B and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

5. Centurey

Still no comment? :p

6. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

I guess I could do a layout for Factory Zone 1, fast to suit the fast pitch of Dam Dariram. I want the Mega Man IV boss in exchange though :p

7. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I would lend a hand, but unfortunately, I suffer the same problem you do. I can't do 256x256. I remember doing a Sonic 1 hack (anyone remember?) and my layouts were pathetic =P

If it was Sonic 2 or something, I would help.

EDIT: I put siffer, not suffer XD

8. Centurey

I dont see your problems with 256. Sonic 2 is realllllly evil compared to sonic 1. The only trouble with S1 is SLZ. And maybe SYZ.

9. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

256 is too big. You have limts on what you want to desisgn, unless you compile the 256 tiles yourself. But then again, you have to deal with that limitation and it's just too much hard work.

With 128, you have more room for desgning. Imagine if you can design your level with 4x4s =P

10. Centurey

Eh, true. With 4x4's, I'd kill myself.

(GOT WINE RUNNIN WOOT)

11. nineko

I tried to watch the youtube videos you posted in your thread, but they are all down, so I don't know what I can comment on. Where can I get your hack? Feel free to send me a PM.

This one?

12. Centurey

Tried to send a PM to you, but it didnt work.

13. nineko

Thanks for telling me this, apparently I have them disabled in my forum options o.o
    I don't know how that could happen as I never switched them off, so yeah, thanks for telling me.

*enables the PM system*

14. Centurey

Okay, sent it.

15. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

:p No, I was pretty much wanting This one.

16. RatedRStarr

RatedRStarr Rated R Superstar Member

In my Sonic 1 hack I did level layouts for GHZ act 1, and MGZ act 1 but, it was only part of it until I stopped. Its a shame no one can help, I would do all of them but, this is coming from a 1 year veteran Rom Hacker who lost his MAIN USB drive with all my damn hacking utilities and hacks on there. Plus I couldn't even finish my Sonic 3 and Knuckles hack.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2008
  17. Sephiroth

Sephiroth WHY SO CURIOUS?!? Member

*snicker*

pfft.........

PFFF AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You are joking right?

A veteran rom hacker is someone who's been doing it for many many years.

Take Tweaker for example. He's been hacking since I can remember, way before I came into the community. He's what you would call a veteran.

Think of it this way. He would be in the baseball Hall of Fame for hitting 3000 home runs.

You're still in the minor leagues as a kid.

Seriously. Think about these things.

18. nineko

I think I can convert that song for you, though I want to wait a few more days to see if I can get more people on this project. It wouldn't make sense to keep all the original layouts BUT that one.
    Thanks for your offer, though. I will let you know :p

19. Estlib

Estlib Sahkamina Member

Well, i could give you a hand in making layouts.

Just say witch type for witch zone...

a] mazy

b] speed based

c] multiple routes

d] anithing else i didnt list

edit: i wouldnt do full 18 layouts, sorry

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.