Music Editing

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by CS2612, May 15, 2015.

1. CS2612

CS2612 FamiTracker Trash Member

Hello, all. 

This may seem like a stupid question, but how can i transfer Zone BGM's from one Genesis ROM to another? Is there a special program i can use? I'd like to have some different music in my hack. If it's an easy method, it'll work. If not, it'll try anyway. 

2. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

That depends on what your trying to do... If your referring to transferring between the main series games (S1, S2, S3, SK) or S3D (Sonic 3D blast), then yes, but some driver modifications are required for them to sound any good. If your referring to transferring music from another genesis game entirely... Good luck with that, many games use entirely different engines and music formats, and those which do use the SMPS format used by the sonic games often alter the format to the point that they can't run without serious hands-on modification (like hex editor stuff, it's messy). If your editing Sonic 1 (on the github disassembly) or Sonic 2 (any disassembly), I recommend installing the Clone Driver V2 and Flamewings SMPS pack, which can be used together to put songs from the five games I mentioned above in your hack. If you already have custom songs you want to use in the new driver, look up how to use SMPS2ASM.

3. CS2612

Well, i'm trying to swap music between the original 5 Sonic titles (S1 - S3DB). Is it possible to give a more in-depth explanation?

4. Pacca

Ripping from the betas will likely be a bit harder; the only beta song that is included in the pack is the S3C credits. On retro, their are pages dedicated to where the songs are in the roms, your best bet would be to rip them from the game and pass them through SMPS2ASM (once the clone driver or the SMPS2ASM core is installed). Although SMPS2ASM will do most of the hard conversion work for you, the DAC and PSG pointers will have to be edited manually to sound right.

Sorry if I'm not going in-depth, I'm not unknowledgeable on the subject, but I'm not amazing at it, either...

5. CS2612

Okay, i downloaded the program, but i have no idea how to set it up. Usually i read the Readme file...but there wasn't one...

Sorry for being a pain, but i'm kinda new to ASM hacking.

6. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

My driver's thread has details on using SMPS2ASM.

I can't really say I agree with my driver just being used to import music, though.

7. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

​What Zone music to what game? 
    I have all of Sonic 1/2/3&K in Sonic 1 format already, with no need for sound-font changing. 
    (And, a few other things, lol. xFiles theme, why not?)
    Yes, credit to Sonic 1 Hacking studio for non-custom music. 

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw4TswbxjIZLfnROVV83dktWNThHLUlOOEUwSFRRWWx6ZVR2ZGJhNHlJTElSNVR5cHJqR1U&usp=sharing

Also, ​these files work with Esrael's binary music porter!

8. LooneyDude

LooneyDude Back after a long absence! Member

You forgot Sonic 3's credits, a song I'm in need of at the moment.

EDIT: Nevermind, someone sent one to me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. CS2612

​Okay, thanks!

​What kind of files are those? They don't have an extension.

10. Pacca

I can only assume that the files are raw SMPS files. Put ".bin" at the end of the name, replace one of your songs with one, and it should be all good.

11. CS2612

Ah, okay, i'll try it out!

12. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

Oh, they're all .bin files, it's just that the tool I used would remove the extension just so it would load in the drop-down menu nicely.