Overpowered Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by DashTurbo780, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DashTurbo780

DashTurbo780 Newcomer Exiled

OverpoweredSonic2Title.jpg
    Note: This was deleted because i put it into the wrong room. This is a reuploaded version.

Overpowered Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (a.k.a Project Overpowered) is a hack made by me. In this hack, the only things that differ from Sonic 2 is the physics, the text, the palette and the boss health is changed from 8 to 10. I am going to state the changes in each status.

Physics-The physics are you guessed it, Overpowered.
    -Sonic: Extremely overpowered, speed, spindash, jumping, etc...
    Super Sonic: Speed is 1/2x normal Sonic except he has the twice of Sonic's jump height.
    -Tails: Slower than Sonic, but both have the same jump height.

Palette
    -Sonic: Darker Blue
    -Tails: Darker Orange

Text
    -Now says ©DASH 2016.

Boss Battles
    -Health changes from 8 hits to 10 hits, Final Boss now needs 17 hits until defeat. I changed this since Sonic and Tails would easily defeat them.

Those are all the changes I made in this ROM hack. I hope you enjoy it!

-Dash

P.S. Speed Sneakers are changed to Jump Sneakers(you will jump higher).

There is a download down here
    |
    |
    \ /

Attached Files:

2. Unused Account

Unused Account Well-Known Member Member

I'd probably recommend putting this in the mini-hacks thread, unless you plan to change other stuff in a later update (such as levels)

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I gave this a whirl on stream last night, we found that the game cannot be completed without cheating, and the cutscene in WFZ to DEZ becomes broken with the new physics.

It was good fun though~

4. USSRSonic

USSRSonic Newcomer In Limbo

Can you help to me

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Sorry, I'm afraid I'm rather busy.

Also, just a little hint, I think you might want to read the rules.

6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Actually, I "accidentally" deleted it. I tried deleting your double post when it deleted the topic. It was brought up in the staff room in case it was a bug, but I think it was a fuck up of mine. I apologise.

7. DashTurbo780

I forgive you.

I am still fixing this bug. Even when I played it, this happened. I just need to go to ESE II And move the tornado.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2016
  8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

I highly suggest that you use a disassembly rather than using outdated tools. I also agree that this probably belongs in the random hack/mini project section since it's a very minor edit.

9. DashTurbo780

I'm currently working on version 2. It does have some minor level edits like the cutscene in Wing Fortress glitch. But you are right, it should go into the mini-hack thread.

10. NedRomHacker

NedRomHacker Newcomer Trialist

DashTurbo780, Do you think you will ever make Overpowered Sonic the Hedgehog 1 or Overpowered Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles? Oh and in the next version you should change Super Sonic to look like Hyper Sonic!

11. DashTurbo780

I've already fixed this bug in Version 2. Be ready for it to come

I mean Version 1.5

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2016
  12. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Alright, I'm pretty sure this was mentioned to you already, but consider this an official warning: Quit multiposting. It says not to do it in the rules, and last I checked, you're not above the rules. Please don't make the staff take action, just follow the rules.

13. DashTurbo780

OverpoweredSonic2Title.jpg
    Version 1.5
    ---------------
    A new version of the hack where Sonic's and Tails's physics are completely.......broken.

-Fixed WFZ to DEZ travel(The glitch in WFZ where Sonic doesn't land on the Tornado) But try not to do it as Super Sonic.
    -Super Sonic's transformation sprite changed.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Overview
    Overpowered Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (a.k.a Project Overpowered) is a hack made by me. In this hack, the only things that differ from Sonic 2 is the physics, the text, the palette and the boss health is changed from 8 to 10. I am going to state the changes in each status.

Physics-The physics are you guessed it, Overpowered.
    -Sonic: Extremely overpowered, speed, spindash, jumping, etc...
    Super Sonic: Speed is 1/2x normal Sonic except he has the twice of Sonic's jump height.
    -Tails: Slower than Sonic, but both have the same jump height.

Palette
    -Sonic: Darker Blue
    -Tails: Darker Orange

Text
    -Now says ©DASH 2016.

Boss Battles
    -Health changes from 8 hits to 10 hits, Final Boss now needs 17 hits until defeat. I changed this since Sonic and Tails would easily defeat them at normal health.

Those are all the changes I made in this ROM hack. I hope you enjoy it!

-Dash

P.S. Speed Sneakers are changed to Jump Sneakers(you will jump higher).

Attached Files:

14. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Ok why didn't you just post an update in the the other thread instead of making a new thread? There doesn't seem a point to making a new one. Your kind of wasting space.

LuigiXHero likes this.
  15. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    ...Why?

Why did you post a new topic for a minor update of your hack? Your other topic is still open and quite recent. There's no reason at all why a new topic needed to be posted rather than just an update post in the original topic.

ralakimus and LuigiXHero like this.
  16. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ They/Them Member

I agree with Joenick here. Why is this it's own thread?

LuigiXHero likes this.
  17. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

ignoring the fact that this doesn't need a new thread for a moment, i'll give my thoughts on the actual hack.
    honestly, these changes aren't even overpowered...they're just game-breaking. if you're going down this sort of route with your hack, i highly suggest that you make some layout changes to account for these "overpowered" "physics" (which, again, are literally just broken and unenjoyable in my opinion). i also suggest toning down the changes to sonic's abilities themselves; physics, to every extent, actually haven't been changed at all in this hack and thereby the description is rather misleading. additionally, the super sneakers actually slow sonic down thus making his movements even more confusing, due to him having a ridiculously high top speed to start with.

doesn't help i got from emerald hill to hill top in around 6 minutes. that shouldn't be possible to any extent.

overall, i'm not very impressed, but i do see potential in your work. keep at it and --- with some time, effort, and patience --- you will get better. trust me.

18. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

I'll be taking Spoon's approach and ignore the fact that this didn't need a second topic.

So you've got a basic hack that doesn't do anything else outside of make Sonic jump higher, and run faster. Which is fine for starting out, at least you're making some changes to the game's physics and whatnot. However, that doesn't necessarily mean the game in of itself is good. In it's current status, your hack is nowhere near complete enough for a multitude of releases. Outside of dealing with code instead of colors, you've essentially presented us with a palette hack. If you don't understand my metaphor, basically you've given us a hack that has some effort put into it, but overall not much has been done to the game. And these are generally frowned upon in the community.

I'd recommend, for your next update, changing the layout of a few levels. Just enough to give us some fresh content to play while we wait for a more complete version. There is nothing wrong with releasing a tech demo for us to provide feedback for. The tech demo just needs to have some meat in it.

19. DashTurbo780

I'm not replying on any of these bc I don't want to multipost. So I will state everything in this comment:

1. This is my first ROM hack, of course it's not going to be good.
    2. On my computer, I can't even edit posts bc of some weird reason
    3. If you haven't played the new version, PLAY IT so you know the changes, like the change in Wing Fortress Zone.
    4. The point of the description is the changes I made from the original Sonic the Hedgehog 2. And I changed the speed sneakers to "jump sneakers" because I used Sonic Tweaker v0.04 to edit the value and I can't change the speed sneaker value, but I can change the jump. Split disassemblies exasperate me so I just use these programs.

20. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Allow me to make a few rebuttal points then.

1. Being a first hack does not excuse a hack's overall poor quality. While it is nice that you tried to change something in the programing side of things outside of adding in the spindash or the jumpdash, it does not excuse the overall quality of this hack. Plenty of other newbies make far greater strides in their first hack than what you have shown off here. In fact some have even released full-length hacks. Most people here, myself included, don't really let the "I'm new" excuse fly.
    2. Talk to one of the admins about that. It's probably a permission issue.
    3. Any and all changes you make should be included in the description of your update. I have not seen your WFZ update because I did not know about it, nor do I really plan to. Unfortunately, my interest kind of peaked after playing through EHZ.
    4. Split disassembles aren't very hard to work with. The rom's already been decompiled for you in most cases, so all you have to do is edit it in your editors of choice.

Clownacy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.