Posting hacks

Discussion in 'Site News' started by StephenUK, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Not so much news, but this is something that has been getting annoying. Lately I've seen a fair amount of people posting about their hacks in the Discussion and Q&A section of the forums. This is NOT the place for showing off your hacks. The place for that is the Showroom, as implied by the subforum name and description. It's one thing to move one every so often, but I've had to more four today alone, and more previously. I've also noticed that it seems to be a lot of new members who are at fault.

Basically, it comes down to this. If you can't be bothered to look around and work out what should go where, even when it's pointed out to you, then you're not doing yourself any favours in terms of gaining full membership. This won't apply to every misplaced topics, as sometimes the topic can hit a grey area which makes it difficult to place. Hack topics are an exception, they go in one place only.

Anyone who keeps failing to heed this warning will not only find the topic deleted, meaning they'll have to type it out again, but it will be taken into account during your account review. It's getting to the point of stupidity, you have been warned.

2. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Actually, if forum permissions weren't changed recently, Trialists can't post in the Showroom forum at all. Even the forum descriptions on the index say that the Showroom is a "place for Members and above to show off their work", while the "Posting a hack thread?" line is in the Discussion & Q&A description.

During my time as a moderator I always assumed this was the case, with worthy hack topics being moved to the Showroom by hand by one of us, to prevent crap hacks from being in the main Showroom section.

Again, not sure if things changed or if they weren't intended to be like this to begin with.

3. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

I changed the permissions a while back because it was getting annoying fishing through Q&A to find hack topics. Just to make sure IPB wasn't having a shit fit, I disabled and enabled the permissions again to make sure they were working. In fairness, I did only realise I forgot to remove the text from the description today so I did that earlier. Regardless, starting now the topics should all be in the Showroom. Its easy enough to find and remove the crap from there.

4. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Good; if I can say, I agree with what you just did. Having hack topics in the Q&A forum never made sense to me, but I followed the guidelines.

FireRat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.